Truck hoist installation?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have any of you done this to your truck? Obviously it would be cheaper to buy a truck with a landscape dump body on it, however, as with many older vehicles, you just keep fixing them rather than borrowing money for newer. And that is where I am, too much in it, not deep enough pockets to get rid of it, and, I do not want to carry a payment. Googled dump kits and found a few things for one tons. I have a 2000, GMC 5500 Topkick with a 12'+ flatbed. Next week it will have a remanufactured trans. with power take-off. GVW is 20,500 and it weighs 11,500, so a 9,000 pound payload. I chose power take-off for two reasons. First, the truck is only used for wood deliveries and not used much, so the electrical I figure is sometimes taxed starting it (a 3126 Cat) in cold weather, which I sometimes do just to move it out of the way if someone pulls a trailer in when picking up wood, or my wife wants to get her car out. Not much room here in the winter to jockey around. Second, considering cold temps again, an electric dump is electric over hydraulic, and that oil system doesn't get cycled enough to warm it up and seems would be a strain on the pump motor at zero degrees, which is basically a starter motor. Whether that is true or not I'm just guessing, but the next step is to find a kit, or used set-up. Any thoughts? Another question. Can a locking differential be added on this size truck and would it be worth the money? There is a whole list of things before a newer truck... more logs; SS; more logs; pole barn; more logs; replace my car; processor (that's another thread); skidsteer; 4x4 dump.

I've built a couple flat beds on 3/4 tons with electric hoists. Used to have lots of pics on here but I think they are all gone. I have a brand new scissor hoist sitting in my barn waiting for a project to use it on, auction sale find. If I were you I would go to a few junk yards and look for a wrecked truck with hoist on it and reuse the parts. Much cheaper than new or starting from scratch.

I have seen a few pto pump units at repocast . com
Never watched them because I have no use for one.

Have any of you done this to your truck? Obviously it would be cheaper to buy a truck with a landscape dump body on it, however, as with many older vehicles, you just keep fixing them rather than borrowing money for newer. And that is where I am, too much in it, not deep enough pockets to get rid of it, and, I do not want to carry a payment. Googled dump kits and found a few things for one tons. I have a 2000, GMC 5500 Topkick with a 12'+ flatbed. Next week it will have a remanufactured trans. with power take-off. GVW is 20,500 and it weighs 11,500, so a 9,000 pound payload. I chose power take-off for two reasons. First, the truck is only used for wood deliveries and not used much, so the electrical I figure is sometimes taxed starting it (a 3126 Cat) in cold weather, which I sometimes do just to move it out of the way if someone pulls a trailer in when picking up wood, or my wife wants to get her car out. Not much room here in the winter to jockey around. Second, considering cold temps again, an electric dump is electric over hydraulic, and that oil system doesn't get cycled enough to warm it up and seems would be a strain on the pump motor at zero degrees, which is basically a starter motor. Whether that is true or not I'm just guessing, but the next step is to find a kit, or used set-up. Any thoughts? Another question. Can a locking differential be added on this size truck and would it be worth the money? There is a whole list of things before a newer truck... more logs; SS; more logs; pole barn; more logs; replace my car; processor (that's another thread); skidsteer; 4x4 dump.

Could you add a loop from the engine coolant and use that to heat up the hydraulic stuff somehow?

I have not seen diff locks on commercial axels of that size. Tandems have locks on the differential between the axels. Looking for traction aids engaged from the cab look at chain throwers. They work very well in slippery conditions and you don't have to install and remove tire chains.

PTO pumps are much better than electric units. As someone else mentioned look in junkyards for both the hoist and PTO unit. Medium duty trucks are much more standardized than light trucks and most of the stuff you considering will interchange between brands.

A guy down the road from me has a few scissor hoists sitting around. I converted a 3500 ram flatbed and put a hoist on it. It was work but worth it. As for electric pumps and the winter time, my dump trailer was having a hard time in the winter until I thinned out the fluid by adding low temp snow plow fluid. It works a ton better.

Depending on money look at Rugby dump setup. I bought one for my 1-ton. It's rated for 13 tons. It's a frame that gets installed right on your frame rails. Then you weld your flatbed to it. It already had the dump hinges on it. Only draw back is it raises your bed height 4".

Scott

Back