True cost of heating with wood (joke)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember the original, a buddy of mine had a yellowed copy he kept under the glass top of his desk in his office for many years. I'm sure there was a CB radio listed !!!!! How can you not see the humor in this? Its so true, sometimes the more money you try to save, the more you spend. Lets face it- most of us enjoy cutting wood in the great outdoors or we would just buy the stuff.

A bit late to the conversation, but attached is a scanned copy from the early 1980s.

Attachments

• How my friend saved money with a wood stove.pdf
    295.1 KB · Views: 66
It may have been around for a few years when I got it (1982), but the prices aren't unrealistic for 35-40 years ago.

I'm not sure I see the $25k you are talking about?

Clearly does not see the humor. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink :hmm3grin2orange: I have never seen it but I do understand where you are comming from. My gf says I spend more time playing with my chainsaw #### then I do with her blah blah blah or something like that. I see it happen no matter what it is, too much time at work, too much time at the bar drinking, too much time spend doing anything will put pressure on a marriage or a relationship

I've seen a couple versions of it, mosst of them include the cost of a truck and replacement of the rear window. Why would it cause a divorce? Spending on that money is why. Good fights over that subject.

If you figure your time is worth anything, then it's probably cheaper to buy wood. I like running the saws, and being out in the woods. Scrounging wood isn't quite as much fun, but the price is right. Sometimes you get lucky, and it's not so bad. Someone posted on CL with some free wood. Most of it is 5-6ft, and the rest I can just cut and toss in the back. So far, I think I have had about 4 loads in my Toyota. Too bad it doesn't hold that much.

I attribute the sundry costs of firwooding to avoiding a gymn membership to keep in the shape I am in (round is a shape by-the-way)

Heck in my house I think cutting wood/burning wood has prevented a divorce. I often hear "why don't you go cut wood or something" from my wife. Seems to help when I come back a few hours later she has calmed down remarkably well.

For me hiding out at what we call the other place cutting firewood is not a bad thing. I also have a shop I hide out in but it is on the home place farm sometimes too close to the wife. The farm we cut firewood on is in the next county 15 miles away she doesn't come over there to check up on me.

So when I was a kid and we were heating with wood, I remember my dad had this paper he copied from the bulletin board at work, with a comical list of the true cost of heating with wood. It went something like this (going from memory, so missing a lot):

1. Stove $1200
2. Chainsaw $200

4. Donation to local Vol Fire Dept for 1st chimney fire response $100

7. Redneck tow to get pickup truck out of mud (AAA doesn't go into the woods) $50

10. Emergency room bill to get splinters out of eye $250

13. Donation to local Vol Fire Dept for 2nd chimney fire response $100

15. New coffee table (old one chopped up and burned while drunk) $400

17. Chiropractor bill for herniated discs in back $300

And the grand finale was "divorce settlement" to the tune of $25,000 or so.

Has anyone seen this list? I'd love to get a copy of the actual list for old time's sake. I'd guess it was around 1980 or so when it was circulating around, way before the internet. It was pretty funny (way better than the limited stuff I can remember).
Number 17 is cheap. I spent about 1500 one year.
The list is hilarious. Had a good chuckle.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I really don't burn to save money.....wood heat is simply superior.

If I lived in the city then maybe not.

I really don't burn to save money.....wood heat is simply superior.

If I lived in the city then maybe not.

SAme here. I 'wood' as a hobby and as a way to stay active. I retired and decided sitting on my backside was a quick trip to a dirt nap. I have enough wood in the stacks to last longer than I'll be around (84 now) and I'm still adding to it. Cut enough every year to sell 6-8 cord a year plus burn 6 or 7. I'm burning more than that this year somehow - more than I have ever burned before.

When speaking of values of wood heat it is the intangibles that cannot be assigned a dollar value. We have been heating with wood for 38+ years. Wood stove was major requirement from wife,"when the power goes out I want something that will the house warm!" Added benefit, one cold rainy Christmas eve the mother and father in law came for a Christmas visit from Florida. MIL walks in house, goes over to stove, turns around, lifts up dress and backs up to stove to get warm with out so much as a howdy!. Cost to me - nothing, value priceless! W. Jones

Latest posts

Back