Trufuel in Echo or Husqvarna chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treehugger2011

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi first time poster here. I'm looking at upgrading to a new chainsaw specifically a lighter one and I'm currently looking at midpriced models the Husqvarna 435 and Echo model 370 however the 50:1 fuel ratio has me a bit stumped. For right now I won't be using it enough to keep a 50:1 gas can and was wondering if anyone has used this and how has it worked?

Hi first time poster here. I'm looking at upgrading to a new chainsaw specifically a lighter one and I'm currently looking at midpriced models the Husqvarna 435 and Echo model 370 however the 50:1 fuel ratio has me a bit stumped. For right now I won't be using it enough to keep a 50:1 gas can and was wondering if anyone has used this and how has it worked?

Trufuel Home

I got a Can of it in case a Tree comes down in a Storm here. IF left unopened the fuel will stay fresh indefinately. Once opened the 2 year shelf life starts ticking away.

I just bought a case of 40 to 1 Tru-Fuel from Bailey's. At $18 a gallon, I will be using it to purge the ethanol enriched fuel out of my 2 stroke equipment for long term storage.

It's probably a good idea to have some for an emergency. With all the wacky weather lately, I added this to my emergency supply list.

I will continue to use Stihl Ultra @ 40 to 1 with Chevron 91 most of the time. I did buy some Stabil Ethanol Treatment to start using in my mix. After 30 days, if I have any unused mix, it goes in my truck.

Last edited:
wallyworld

I just bought a case of 40 to 1 Tru-Fuel from Bailey's. At $18 a gallon, I will be using it to purge the ethanol enriched fuel out of my 2 stroke equipment for long term storage.

It probably a good idea to have some for an emergency. With all the wacky weather lately, I added this to my emergency supply list.

I will continue to use Stihl Ultra @ 40 to 1 with Chevron 91 most of the time. I did buy some Stabil Ethanol Treatment to start using in my mix. After 30 days, if I have any unused mix, it goes in my truck.

I pulled the remaining six cans off the shelf at wallyworld a coupla weeks ago at four bucks per can. Not sure if they have anymore at that price, but I am gonna check again this week when I go into town. I am not burning mass quantities in a commercial setting, so most likely I will start using this stuff all the time. Next winter if I am in day to day to day big firewood cutting mode agin, I'll mix some up, but in between just for the trimmer and some light saw action, I'll use that stuff, as I don't have a gasser ride to dump the extra into if it isn't getting used and going stale. I tried cutting it before it went bad into the lawnmower gas but it makes them run not so good. Well, I can tell the difference and certainly see it on the plugs. I mostly don't use much gasoline anyway, mostly use diesel mowers.

The old lady has a gasser but she gave me an emphatic NO YOU DON'T when I suggested dumping my surplus mix into her ride....

Trufuel Home

I got a Can of it in case a Tree comes down in a Storm here. IF left unopened the fuel will stay fresh indefinately. Once opened the 2 year shelf life starts ticking away.

Problem is when you buy the fuel from somewhere like Wal-Mart that keeps the cans sitting on the shelf. There is no telling weather some "passer by" has opened the can out of curiosity, they have no kind of "lock" or safety seal. I do work for Wal-Mart and can say that the fuel does not spend much time on our shelf, at least at "my" store it does not, because it is a hot item.

I have not used it myself but it must be a pretty good product since Stihl has now followed suit and are supplying their own pre-mixed fuel now.

Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it. I figured I was going to get flamed for even asking the question :buttkick: . I tried using the search engine but it came back with 0 hits. So it looks like this stuff is good to go now I just have to decide which saw. I have a Sears Craftsman but it seems to be getting heavier as I get older.

Problem is when you buy the fuel from somewhere like Wal-Mart that keeps the cans sitting on the shelf. There is no telling weather some "passer by" has opened the can out of curiosity, they have no kind of "lock" or safety seal. I do work for Wal-Mart and can say that the fuel does not spend much time on our shelf, at least at "my" store it does not, because it is a hot item.

I have not used it myself but it must be a pretty good product since Stihl has now followed suit and are supplying their own pre-mixed fuel now.

The Can I have has a silver colored seal that you must remove before opening it.

What is the reason for the true fuel? Been hearing alot about it lately, but dont know much about it. Its not so posed to go bad right, but I dont understand the need?

What is the reason for the true fuel? Been hearing alot about it lately, but dont know much about it. Its not so posed to go bad right, but I dont understand the need?

It's for most who don't run their equipment every day, + it's already mixed with oil, for some this is an issue. You can also leave you're trimmer, leaf blower's tank full over the winter and the it won't destroy the fuel lines, gaskets, carb diaphragm and so on., It also keeps corrosion down.

sounds like an expensive way to buy fuel to me!!! just another way of sucking dollars out of the consumers pocket.

The newer runs of True Fuel and the Stihl branded stuff use a gray hard plastic "wagonwheel" insert with a double locking cap.

The early runs had a soft insert with a tear out diaphragm but they tended the splash fuel on the user when removed so the non-sealed inserts are now used.

Both parts of the closure are made here in Indiana. I watch them being molded at work every day.

I believe the steel cans are made somewhere in the US as well.

Sent from my T8788 using Board Express

Forgot to mention, my local Stihlership wants $8 a can for the Stihl premix. Yikes!

Forgot to mention, my local Stihlership wants $8 a can for the Stihl premix. Yikes!

Of course it's going to be more expensive if the Can has "Stihl" on it. Tru-Fuel is also available at Sears but costs $2 more because the Can has "Craftsman" on it.

I use it in my sting trimmer. I don't trim with it much. I probably won't go through a tankful of trimmer gas all summer.

Latest posts

Back