ArboristSite.com Sponsors

try to guess what caused this....

Man of the Woods

Man of the Woods

A city slicker moved into a country home that was heated by a stove and fireplace. The previous owner had left him a pile of seasoned logs, so he went shopping for a chainsaw. He told the dealer what he needed and the dealer said I've got just the saw you need. He told the city slicker it would cut plenty of wood to keep his house heated. A few days later the city slicker showed up looking a bit "worn out" and carrying his saw. He told the dealer he could barely get 2 logs cut per day.
The dealer said "Let's take it to the shop and check it out." The dealer primed it, choked it and cranked it and it started immediately. Sounded great to the dealer's ear. The city slicker, looking a bit confused said "What is all that noise!!"

turnkey4099

turnkey4099

Tree Freak
A city slicker moved into a country home that was heated by a stove and fireplace. The previous owner had left him a pile of seasoned logs, so he went shopping for a chainsaw. He told the dealer what he needed and the dealer said I've got just the saw you need. He told the city slicker it would cut plenty of wood to keep his house heated. A few days later the city slicker showed up looking a bit "worn out" and carrying his saw. He told the dealer he could barely get 2 logs cut per day.
The dealer said "Let's take it to the shop and check it out." The dealer primed it, choked it and cranked it and it started immediately. Sounded great to the dealer's ear. The city slicker, looking a bit confused said "What is all that noise!!"
That's a very, very old joke, I think Adam told it to Eve.

ironman_gq

ironman_gq

Addicted to ArboristSite
Found several bullets when I run the saw right through them, copper and lead are pretty soft and I never noticed it happened till I saw them in the wood. No damage to the chain just a neat thing to show people. One time I went to noodle a larger knotty log and found out that someone had gone nuts with a bag of 16d nails and drove them all over that log. Brand new chain and first cut with that saw after rebuilding it, took a while to get that chain straightened back out.

noodlewalker

noodlewalker

ArboristSite Operative
I would love to see some pictures of that-----i have a friend who goes on a camping trip every summer with his uncle and several other gun enthusiasts to a certain plot of forest land to shoot their arsenals at trees. they paint a red line at the top and bottom of an area on a tree (or several), then aim at the area between the lines and unload several rounds into them. he tells me they don't stop til they run out of bullets or the trees fall.... sounds like an awesome trip to me!!

you must cut wood where he camps!!

blades

blades

Addicted to ArboristSite
When I was very young my dad would always come home with a tree for Christmas and most of the time a Whitetail as well. Years later I found out that he and my uncles would shoot the tops off a large trees.

old guy

old guy

Addicted to ArboristSite
When I was very young my dad would always come home with a tree for Christmas and most of the time a Whitetail as well. Years later I found out that he and my uncles would shoot the tops off a large trees.
Blades, your not from Star Prairie are you?

W321shark

W321shark

ArboristSite Operative
I was hoping for some cool mini balls lodged in the tree. A chunk of granite is pretty cool too. Wouldn’t mind seeing a pic of that granite if you happen to have it. Contrary to popular belief, and even some supposed educated sources, granite is actually slightly porous so I wonder what living in the tree might have done to it.

Lessen out of that granite being porous story is, if you have granite countertops make sure you seal them once a year.

bigG

ArboristSite Member
my brother got a new to him but gently used stihl chainsaw. as you can imagine, he wanted to start it up and use it right away, like a kid at Christmas. so he has a basically dead mulberry stump out back by the shed and commences to cut down inside of it. he cuts for a very short time, maybe 30 seconds, and the chain starts smoking. and seemingly dull he goes ahead and takes a file to it, then tries again in the same cut and instantly starts smoking again. now he is mad and goes into town to get a new chain, thinking the chain was just bad. as you can imagine, he tries again, with the same result. he just can not cut through this dead mulberry stump to save his life, he tried so hard he ended up turning the bar blue with heat, obviously ruining the brand new chain and possibly the bar, then called me for advice..... so lets hear your ideas on what could be the cause of this, what do you suppose was the culprit??? its kinda funny, when he figured it out a week later I laughed pretty good.
Previous owner never lubricated the sprocket on the bar and it was dry as a bone. Just pondering.

Capitalist

Capitalist

Addicted to ArboristSite
Some idiot moron sob got a rumor started that you can fill a hollow tree with concrete to strengthen it.

My neighbors brother has a giank maple over his home that will most likely be removed by me to the tune of around $5k or more.

I will most likely get next to it with a lift and jackhammer as I go.

That idiot rumor is common enough it has had many followers.

I get pist at a nail.
At least these folks had the decency to say... "We filled it with concrete."

I am always in kansas when someone doesn't tell me about the giant bees nest in the tree on their house.

I guess they figure I will tack on some crazy high bee removal fee.

Nah...
Few cans of raid and a homemade bee suit.

Theres nothing like being on a roof of a house with three tons of tree only to discover its full of bees or yellow jackets because someone was worried you would charge more.

People are something.

turnkey4099

turnkey4099

Tree Freak
Some idiot moron sob got a rumor started that you can fill a hollow tree with concrete to strengthen it.

My neighbors brother has a giank maple over his home that will most likely be removed by me to the tune of around $5k or more.

I will most likely get next to it with a lift and jackhammer as I go.

That idiot rumor is common enough it has had many followers.

I get pist at a nail.
At least these folks had the decency to say... "We filled it with concrete."

I am always in kansas when someone doesn't tell me about the giant bees nest in the tree on their house.

I guess they figure I will tack on some crazy high bee removal fee.

Nah...
Few cans of raid and a homemade bee suit.

Theres nothing like being on a roof of a house with three tons of tree only to discover its full of bees or yellow jackets because someone was worried you would charge more.

People are something.
My first experience with a nail was teh first tree I fell after retiring from the AF. Used Dad's XL12/24" bar. 30" butternut, undercut, backcut and saw quit cutting just as teh tree was almost ready to go. Managed to chew it enough to get it on the ground. 10 penny nail drivin in when the tree was only a sapling. Almost dead center of the stump.

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Old joke I think the guy cutting the wood was polish when it was first told?

Freebie favors cost me.

Co worker, cut my moms tree? Hit pipe inside tree with new 2100 saw with 404 chain.

Neighbor favor cut my tree? Hit brick in bottom of the stump. Brand new 3/8” chain.

No more favors can’t afford it.