Trying to fell a small (5" diameter) tree that is hung up and has started to split (pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turdlecode

Reaction score
Pics:
The first half of the tree (this part isn't hung up on anything, but you can see the split at the trunk)
The second half, caught on the bend of another tree
A different angle on the second half
A close up of the trunk starting to split (the split is ~12" long)

This might be a silly question because it is a really small tree, and maybe it's a simple answer. That said, I haven't cut a tree down before and only know what I've learned from googling it today, so I appreciate any advice.

It's a small 5" "diameter at breast height" tree that someone apparently tried to cut down last year. It looks like it started to barber chair, then got hung up against another tree, and now it's been hanging there over the winter.

It's in a good place, not too close to anything (I know the perspective in one pic make it look like it's close to those lines, but the tallest part of the tree is below the lines) I'm just a little concerned about that split.

I have a bow saw (no chainsaw) I can't afford to have someone come pull it down so if it can't be done safely I'll have to just leave it, but I'd really like to get it down. If anyone can guide me in the right direction, I'd be grateful!

Have you got a rental center, some hardware stores or Home Depot. Rent a small saw. The limb appears to have a crotch that is hung up in a crotch. So, start at the base area where you can reach comfortably and cut a small bit into the top of the branch, no more than 1/4 it's diameter and be careful not to get the bar bound in the cut, as there will be downward pressure from the weight of the limb. Then cut from the bottom of branch toward the top cut. Just be prepared to get out of the way when it drops as it will probably break before you cut all the way thru. If the branch is held in the crotch as it appears to be I don't believe it will go far or twist and jump back at you. Repeat this procedure as you move up the limb, just go slow, be attentive and you'll be ok with it.

Have you got a rental center, some hardware stores or Home Depot. Rent a small saw. The limb appears to have a crotch that is hung up in a crotch. So, start at the base area where you can reach comfortably and cut a small bit into the top of the branch, no more than 1/4 it's diameter and be careful not to get the bar bound in the cut, as there will be downward pressure from the weight of the limb. Then cut from the bottom of branch toward the top cut. Just be prepared to get out of the way when it drops as it will probably break before you cut all the way thru. If the branch is held in the crotch as it appears to be I don't believe it will go far or twist and jump back at you. Repeat this procedure as you move up the limb, just go slow, be attentive and you'll be ok with it.
Only just saw this reply, thanks very much! I will see if I can get a hold of a saw and then use your advice. Thank you again!

Pics:
The first half of the tree (this part isn't hung up on anything, but you can see the split at the trunk)

This might be a silly question because it is a really small tree, and maybe it's a simple answer. That said, I haven't cut a tree down before and only know what I've learned from googling it today, so I appreciate any advice.

It's a small 5" "diameter at breast height" tree that someone apparently tried to cut down last year. It looks like it started to barber chair, then got hung up against another tree, and now it's been hanging there over the winter.

It's in a good place, not too close to anything (I know the perspective in one pic make it look like it's close to those lines, but the tallest part of the tree is below the lines) I'm just a little concerned about that split.

I have a bow saw (no chainsaw) I can't afford to have someone come pull it down so if it can't be done safely I'll have to just leave it, but I'd really like to get it down. If anyone can guide me in the right direction, I'd be grateful!
Welcome to AS.
I think it sounds like an easy job, for the right person ;).
Lets see if we can find someone in the area to help you out. Also things can look very different in pictures than when you're there.
@svk is there anyone up their way, Duluth?

1. Friend, neighbor, fellow church or club person with saw and experience.

Since it is a very small tree, this will likely work.
1/2" rope from harbor freight or online vendor, 100 ft rope should do.
Attach to end of small branch of the fork sticking out over the street, approximately right above the trash can.
Double the rope, hook to your jeep renegade, move the trash can. :crazy:
Throw a few old throw rugs over the branch so if it cracks suddenly it does not fly into the back of your jeep.
Pull, likely that half of the fork will split off and the tree fall, then have at the downed tree with yer bowsaw.
If it does not split, try it on the other side of the fork.

BTW, looked at a map, Harbor Freight is just across the street from Grandmaw's bar and grill!

Get the a neighbor to help. Those look easy to me, but things happen that can hurt folks who are not experienced.
I'd suggest a trip around your neighborhood, and ask.
N

I looked on google maps to see if Duluth had a HF store for OP to buy a rope - 1/2 block East across the street it showed 'Grandma's saloon and grill'.

I looked on google maps to see if Duluth had a HF store for OP to buy a rope - 1/2 block East across the street it showed 'Grandma's saloon and grill'.
Oh gotcha.

The Grandma's chain got it's start when the most wealthy guy in town bought a bar so his son could work there to meet women. Now they have a huge following.

Rea
Pics:

Really small trees can kill.
A really small tree killed a guy less than 5 miles from my house.

I can't actually gather enough information from those pictures.

Having the right tools AND training makes most jobs easy.

Not having that makes even small trees dangerous.

I won't attempt to advise you.

It may be the tree has died and has taken a set. IF SO, a lot of FLEXing and Reflexing may have been lessened meaningg its removal may be somewhat less risky.

If you lived near by I'd take it down free. I've done a lot of work free and very low cost jobs for people with limited income. MOST of the time they were kind to me. After dropping a couple dangerous trees for one guy free of charge because his 14 inch Electric wasn't up to the job he insulted me when I saw something sticking out of the ground. I dug it out. He looked surprised and ask what it was. I told him its an old solid metal Chainsaw bar that many newer bars are not hard nose snd non laminated and it's worthless except to me just to have. It was pretty rusty, no writing visable, not salvageable for use but I thought I could clean it up with a steel brush and hang it in my shop. I liked it and asked him for it. He said no and tossed it in a scrap metal heap and sold it for pennies. I'd already given him 500 dollars free tree work INCLUDING flush cutting the stump. I had 3 saws and several ropes on that job. Later he had the Horns to want me to drop another big pine. Being a nice guy I nicely told him it was to near a property line and I had a 10 foot policy.

Another time I loaned a friend a tool. Later my brother needed a tool he had. I called and ask if my brother could borrow his tool. He wanted rental fees. Ha. Ha. That is what makes nice guys like me cautious.

We ALL Have those stories.

I DO WISH you GOOD LUCK.

Blessings.

A couple days after I had left my “advice” I started to feel uneasy, like I may have sent him on an mission he may not have had any business doing. Like maybe he didn’t have any business with a chainsaw in his hands. I sent him a PM and got no response so I don’t know what to think. Hope he’s not in the hospital with a scar across his forehead.

A couple days after I had left my “advice” I started to feel uneasy, like I may have sent him on an mission he may not have had any business doing. Like maybe he didn’t have any business with a chainsaw in his hands. I sent him a PM and got no response so I don’t know what to think. Hope he’s not in the hospital with a scar across his forehead.
Yes I understand. Sometimes we want to help but then if they mess up we get the blame.
Like Bubba. Grandpaw said to Bubba. Here is a condom. Use this to keep your girlfriend from getting pregnant.
A year later Bubba was paying Child support and complained to Grandpaw. He said, That damn condom didn't work AND it almost choked me to death. I thought I'd never get it swallowed and those damn things are down right dangerous.
Some people are just dangerous to themselves.
I have a friend that wanted a pistol. I bought her an Air Soft Pistol. It's the toy that shoots plastic BBs.
Id fear for my life AND hers if she picked up a real gun.
Ha. Ha. Have a great day.

Latest posts

Back