Trying to save old trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe-S

Reaction score
I am a grounds keeper at a school in PA there is a plan to put a bus lane in front of the school. The contractor will need to remove four trees by the high way. There are some other trees by the building and they provide a great deal of shade in the hotter months.

They will need to back fill by the building and trees by the building for drainage. I was told that any added soil placed over the present tree roots close to the surface would kill them. So they wold like to remove them as well. Any truth to this I have never heard it before, but I am not a tree pro. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Alternative to removal

Hey Joe,

What a good move coming here first for some input. My day to day goal is to save trees if possible, recently I would venture to say I am going global.
Anyways, backfilling right up on the trunk has serious results seen in the crown of the tree. The soils placed upon the wood essentially rot the wood, its really a no brainer, however, there are all kinds of alternatives to removing an oxygen creating sytem for an emission emitting luxury. For instance, you could suggest people park their vehicles in a carpark and walk twenty or thirty feet. But it sounds like the school bus arrangement at my sons school, where the buses will pull up right in front of the school where the riders get off and can go in the building with ease. So, just simply have an Arborist come to the site and draw up a prescription, and we will be on the road. It is actually quite simple. Now the Trees will sustain root injury from the elevated grade, but it is easy to compensate with the technology available today. Furthermore Joe, we must come together as a race and ban Tree removal that is not necessary. I request you send me details on the Tree species, size of eco-system (how many Trees), pictures if possible. I would also like to know who made the silly suggestion to remove Trees that are obviously permanent residents, like we must voice the Trees opinion, I am sure the Trees would say, lets make a deal! Please keep me posted, yours truly, jeffray

Jeffray,

Thank You, because of the type of school we are(Montessorri) there is a great deal of concern over invirormantal issues. My plan is to replace the trees being removed with more on the back side of the property. At about a 2 to 1 ratio or more. I have a cople of ideas for saving the trees but I will contact you for more.

Thanks
Joe

There is a critical gas exchange that takes place near the tree's base, and that must be kept the same. You can add large river-rock in a ring around the trees 1-2' deep. Not so deep as the soil is going to be added. Then a 20 year weed fabric placed over the stones and a back-fill of soil can be loosely added to the top of that stone / fabric. This pic. only has spokes, but the more stone the better!
protect1.jpg

Yeah you'll need to bring in a consulting arborist as was previously mention, preferably with a strong background in preservation. In addition to aeration systems, its a great idea for any fill soil brought in to have good structure to promote aeration and drainage. Compaction should be avoided at all costs.

Back