trying to sell my personal wood to a reseller

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been out of touch for the last few days. To answer the question of keeping junk, yes I am a hoarder. Good junk is hard to come by. Its took me 62 years to accumulate my fine collection of junk. The storage buildings are for my wifes junk, Shes pretty much attached to keeping her junk too. My shop is mostly full of my tools. My welders, cutting torches, lathe, drill presses, shop press. Most would sell pretty fast at a garage sale, but most couldn't be replaced for what I could get out of them. Kind of like selling my guns, because they take up space and just how many guns does a guy need. Probably should just go ahead and sell my fishing boat too, and without a boat I could sell my fishing poles as well. I am guilty of keeping real junk too. I usually clean out the shop at least once a year and then make the decision of what to keep and what to toss. Any thing I had forgotten I had, usually hits the trash can, and sometimes I find things I knew I had, but just couldn't find. Some might call my earthly possession's junk, but I call them my treasures.

I was in the same boat 2 years ago some 30+cords css- I did move some to a friend and then retrieved it from there a bit later. Tried all kind of ads. No takers Middle of summer. Time, weather working against me ended up leaving 80% behind. Pretty sure the city made them dispose of it as I was already being hassled by them prior to the sale of the home- Was never a problem until most of the neighbors sold their homes and new folks moved in, of which one had a long nose and was constantly sticking it in others affairs. Pretty much why I sold also. ( nobody in a 1 mi. radius payed any attention to the city rules- and yes I took pictures and stuffed them in their face. I was also there long before any of their fancy pants rules were in adopted. Going to war with a gov. entity is like trying to wipe out an Ant colony one ant at a time.) I have never figured out why people would buy green wood at a $125 for 1/3 of a cord vs $75 for a full cord that was all hard wood and dry. I did not have the time to deliver at that point although I do have the equipment to do so. Kind of shame.

This reminds me of when I sold a house I’d built and lived in about 9 years ago. I had maybe 6 or so full cords of firewood stacked up. I was moving into a temporary place with no wood burner, so I gave it all to my sister and then brother in law for free. He later bitched at a family get together about the inconsistent lengths ( 2-3 inch variations throughout), and said it wasn’t seasoned enough (sat stacked, with top only covered for a full year). It took all my inner strength not to choke him out. I could have sold the wood for an easy 600-800 dollars. Instead I get **** on for being a nice guy. I’d take the best offer you get.

Well I finally had the time to move the wood. Some pics of the supposedly 3 cord. Resized_20190918_143140.jpeg Resized_20190918_143215.jpeg this was under the carport. I left about 2 cords in a pile because of yellow jackets. Little buggers chased me on the tractor for about 150 yards and I was stung several times before I finally out ran them. The trailer in the background is 6x10, Stacked to the top of the sides it will hold 120cuft. I didn't stack the wood ,but I did pile it on until it was falling off. So about a cord per load. I hauled 7 loads. There is no wood stove where I am living now. I will wait until cold weather and folks start begging for wood and then offer it up for sale. I have about 3 or 4 cord of logs laying on the ground at the new home site. I will let it lay until I find the time to process it and that will be the start of my personal firewood for the new home.

Next project is under pinning my camper. Got to get ready for winter. The camper is a 4 season insulated model, but I had to raise it pretty high to get it level. I bought heated water hoses to keep the water from freezing. I will be making a cover box for the water connection and hopefully the heated hose inside the box will be enough to prevent the lawn hydrant from freezing. Last few winters have been pretty mild, but since I am now living in a camper, I fully expect this to be one of the coldest winters on record. I will probably install some sort of heat under the trailer once it is underpinned. I just need enough heat to make sure nothing freezes. A ideal I have used in the past is just using regular light bulbs. It worked in my old spring box to keep the pump from freezing down to -17f one winter. Doesn't get very hot, but it keeps the frost off.

Back