Tulip Tree help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueDagger

Reaction score
We purchased a Tulip tree two years ago from a local nursery who professional installed for us. After the first year when it didn’t bud after winter I talked with the nursery and they advised it was likely stunned by the cold, but late in the season multiple shoots started coming up from the base. This year those shoots didn’t bud either, but a whole new series of shoots are coming up and healthy. We purchased a warranty, but it won’t be honored Because the tree is still technically alive.

Questions at this point:
- The main tree hasn’t budded in two years, should I cut it down at this point to make way for the new shoots?

- How do you protect young sprouts during the winter?

- Am I just be futile at this point and should just go buy a new tree? (Don’t want to give up on the lil guy)
73182CE5-3178-4689-822F-EBD6BB7E6934.jpeg
2F213EA9-E86C-4124-8613-EFB6F41A4B66.jpeg

Well, the roots are alive. The rest of the tree not so much. At least now you know the value of that "warranty".

Maybe you could ask if they could just replace the part above ground, since technically, it's dead ;).

What you need to do is to nurture the healthiest and straightest new shoot into becoming the new leader, it will take time and patience but you will be rewarded for your troubles! It looks like the original main stem has given up the ghost, probably due to frost. Good luck!

Back