tuning carb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_376

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am trying to clean up the yard but my small saws don't seem happy and I don't want to use the 7900 for this small stuff.
Ryobi 40cc. I gave it a muffler mod and it hasn't been great since. I start it up and give it throttle, it rung strong for 5 seconds then dies out. Turn them in and out I can't seem to get top speed. I can get it to idle fine.

Craftsman gray tophandle. I have a lot of gas spraying out of the carb. If I put the cover on it stalls. Flooding is my assumption.

What am I doing wrong?????

I am trying to clean up the yard but my small saws don't seem happy and I don't want to use the 7900 for this small stuff...

What am I doing wrong????
?
Easy, You're not using Your Dolmar PS-7900! ;)
I would! :chainsaw:

Your Ryobi might need a good carb tune up after the muffler mod.
Finding the correct H/L jets sweetspot can be tricky as they need be adjusted against each other.

Your Craftsman might need a carb kit, or at least a carb cleaning.

Other then my first comment I could be wrong though.
I am not very 2-stroke, nor carb smart.

Don't worry, others will chime in with troubleshoot advice and suggestions. :)

P.S.:
REP for the PS-7900 in Your Sig. :cool:

On the Ryobi is the air valve opening properly? If not it will be way too rich at higher throttle openings.

I believe the Ryobi has limiters on the carb screws - it's been a while since I worked on mine. Maybe you are not able to adjust it fully?

limiters are gone. I will have to look at the air port to see if it opens.

Back