Turns out my Wife was right

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer_dave

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I could do with a couple extra inches......

So I've been running a Stihl 038 Magnum for years (brilliant saw) and recently inherited an MS 440 when my grandfather passed. Both saws have a 20 inch bar which makes no sence obviously. I tend to pull my saw out once a year mainly to fill my woodshed and deal with all sort of size trees (pine and macrocapa) I'm planning to put a longer bar on one of the saws but not actually sure which one would suit it.... thinking 24 or 28 inch i 30 inch will be pushing the limit on either. Any thoughts/advice?

Attachments

• 20200213_121757.jpg
    20200213_121757.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 38
Seriously, the 20”on the 440 is the sweet spot for that saw. If you go much longer you won’t have sufficient oiling. I don’t know much about the 038, but I’ll bet it’s close in size and power to the 440. There is not a high output oiler for the 440. But there may be a way around that.

Je mettrai le 20 pouces sur la 440, car elle est un petit plus nerveuse et équilibrée, même si la 038 l emmènera bien et huilera bien aussi, le poids est déjà suffisant et sera moins équilibrée...

I installed the HO oilers in my 066 and 046. I was thinking you could install the parts from the HO ones into the standard ones. Don’t need anything longer than 20” in my 044 do never worried about that one.

The oil pumps for the 044 and 046 are very different. Did they adapt the 046 oilers to the 440?

That I don't know. I do know the normal output and the high output for the 4+ series are basically the same part, the only difference being an internal impeller angle, or something. I got the HO for my 461, and it's outwardly identical to the standard oiler. It did pump more oil. When the 461 broke, I swapped the HO for the original oiler in my new 441 - again, same casting, no probs.

Rule of thumb. About 5 inches per HP. That's what the thing is made for.
Unless you are in the styrofoam cutting business.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

Both saws are 72cc. 72/3=24. I will say that my dad runs a 28 on his 440 occasionally and it handles it fine.

I run a 28 on my 440. It's got plenty of power for it. Mine is the factory R so it's got the ho oiler stock... There have been several oiler styles/variations over the years on the 044-440. Balance is awesome with a 28rw bar or reg 24.

Seriously, the 20”on the 440 is the sweet spot for that saw. If you go much longer you won’t have sufficient oiling. I don’t know much about the 038, but I’ll bet it’s close in size and power to the 440. There is not a high output oiler for the 440. But there may be a way around that.
I have plenty of oil with a 25 cutting stumps, never had a smoking bar

My 044 oils a 28" bar just fine. I dunno where your getting your info. Tree companies and loggers around here have run 32" as long as they are smart about it. Stihl even lists 32" as maximum for the 440.

Husqvarna 162SE is 61.5 cc, 3.9 hp saw from the 70's and the manufacturer recommended max bar length of 28 inches.

IMG_4129.JPG

Seems like MS440 should handle 28 inch bar just fine, but it also depends which type chain and what you will cut with it.

Around here we mostly cut Douglas Fir.

Latest posts

Back