ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Tutorial: make your own raker depth gauge supported by software tool

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by hannes69, Apr 20, 2018.

1. hannes69

hannes69 ArboristSite Operative

I have not. For 3/8 chain the distance between one end of the cutter to the other end of the adjacent tie strap is 1.5". That´s the relevant length regrding the raker depth gauge tool. Within 1.5 inches the bar can be considered straight I think.

2. hannes69

Of course you´re thinking like that. Because you´re now not the only one that gets his come-uppance.

SeMoTony likes this.
  3. HarleyT

HarleyT Tree Freak

Lol.. Come-uppance??

Like not getting anal-ly wound up in some obscure facet in proper chain sharpening?

What is your goal here? That you will recruit an army of morons that will devote hours into making a tool that is absolutely "not" needed?

old guy and Modifiedmark like this.
  4. HarleyT

HarleyT Tree Freak

Folks here "use" chainsaws....

Modifiedmark likes this.
  5. Modifiedmark

Modifiedmark Tree Freak

Your profile says your 41 years old, I will tell you that raker gauges have been in existence for much longer then you have been on the face of the earth. Shortly after the first cutter chains in fact.

Your quote's

"Your thinking, your attitude, your problem. You don´t have to trust in my methods. As your credibillity is gone, it´s the best approach for you to make yourself gone as well in this thread."

"To all people out there thinking about the topic here 'mumbo jumbo': Fell free thinking this way, but PLEASE stay out of this thread then, it won´t help anybody to chime in to just say 'what a piece of crap are you making here'."

You see it's your way or the highway right? Wrong. When you post on a open forum asking for input, you better be ready to take it all, not just what suits your agenda.

I think your whole "software" idea while novel as it may be, is really a bunch of baloney. Your improving the file o plate? Yeah ok, your smarter then all the chain companies that have invested countless millions over how many freaking years?

If your so sure of your idea, patent it, produce it and sell it. See how that goes..

6. HarleyT

HarleyT Tree Freak

While us nay-sayers are cowering in the corner, now that you have properly put us in our place,
    if someone brought you a handfull of chains to sharpen, could you get the job done within the span of a day or two?

Modifiedmark likes this.
  7. JimM

JimM ArboristSite Guru

After nearly three weeks, I find it telling that no one has actually chimed in, and said, hey I made one myself. Not even the supporters.

8. hannes69

Feel free. You can have an opinion different from mine and you can post it exactly in this thread here if you like to. If this helps anybody here is questionable. You can open a poll if you´re feeling bored and ask 'is this thread useful or not?'. Yes, we can collect our opinions.

Chain manufacturers definetly have invested countless millions in developing chains. Have they invested countless millions in developing a raker depth gauge? I think you know the answer.

No. Why should I? I earn my money otherwise, this is a simple freetime project. I´m not after making money with such ideas. I have no clue about patents. The first post in this thread contains whole of the approach here. I made some intersting findings, I made a piece of software, I made some photos. I´m playing with a simple CAD program making some drawings, playing with numbers, doing some thinking and discussions.
    That´s all, nothing more.

I don´t know why you are assuming that you PERSONALLY have to believe me something or you have to make this damn raker depth gauge yourself.
    You can skip this and live a happy life without all of the things mentioned in this thread.

SeMoTony likes this.
  9. Modifiedmark

Modifiedmark Tree Freak

Really? You think it can be considered straight?

With all your precise mumbo jumbo you think you can ignore the curvature of the bar?

Even us dummies who do it the old fashioned way know to pick out the flat part of the bar to set the rakers on.

Since your a rookie chain sharpener who can only use a chain grinding machine, why not set the raker depth on your machine?

SeMoTony likes this.
  10. Modifiedmark

Modifiedmark Tree Freak

Your right I do believe I know that answer. The chain companies know that setting raker depths is not rocket science, no need to invest millions on research and development, there money is better spent elsewhere. But never mind me, you go ahead with your software program and make yourself feel better while the guys in the know are busy cutting wood..

Andyshine77 and old guy like this.
  11. Modifiedmark

Modifiedmark Tree Freak

Your first post here was so long and full of BS I didn't bother to read it. I could smell a clunker right off the bat.

On the other hand, you should be in the running for the longest first post award.

SeMoTony and 46 Poulan like this.
  12. hannes69

Quite surprising, yes. People can chime in and critisize, people can make many words, people can´t use an angle-grinder and make that thing.
    Seriously: I´m not surprised. I´m very well aware of the fact, that most people in this world prefer 'given' solutions. Many don´t have the time to make things yourself, many don´t have the right tools, manydon´t have the knowledge and experience, many simply aren´t intersted and don´t like to. The same story like me and hand filing a chain: I go the easy way here and use an electrical grinder.
    This thread is addressed to people that like tinkering and are on the DIY path. I´m not after a mass phenomenon. The 'success' of this thread is not measured in selling units for me.
    As I already mentioned several times: You can make anything out of this thread. I have already my raker depth gauge and it works for me. You can ignore this thread. You can make this depth gauge or not. You can make a patent and sell the idea. Do whatever you want. And skip those false assumptions about my person. I´m spending part of my free time here and discuss some things, nothing more.
    Like some people like to spend part of their freetime and act like a turd in the punch bowl.
    You like to see some problems in this thread? Do so. I don´t see any. Because there aren´t any.

SeMoTony and Del_ like this.
  13. hannes69

Come on. We don´t have to discuss things that are self explanatory. Do we really have to discuss, that the bar´s nose is not the right place to file rakers?

Del_ and Westboastfaller like this.
  14. PogoInTheWoods

PogoInTheWoods Don't forget about the alligators...

Speaking of turds, it's a well known fact that you can't polish em. So why argue with em?

Del_ and Westboastfaller like this.
  15. hannes69

Yeah, I invested <10 dollars, you´re right, no millions needed.
    'the guys in the know are busy cutting wood? So what exactly are you doing here now? Why are you involved in silly discussions instead of cutting wood? Not a guy in the know?

Hm. Maybe got a strong head ache between line 2 and 3 because of overloading your brain? Yes, in this position it´s quite easy to qualify someone´s ideas as BS. :)

Time to get the popcorn :)

SeMoTony likes this.
  16. HarleyT

HarleyT Tree Freak

2 teams!!

Turds vs. Anal Warriors!!!

17. Modifiedmark

Modifiedmark Tree Freak

Speaking of turds, glad you could show up. Maybe you could take this guy over to chainsaw repair and let him loose there?

18. hannes69

Having time and the entertainment factor. It´s as simple like that. :)

SeMoTony likes this.
  19. HarleyT

HarleyT Tree Freak

Yes, toying with stupid americans has long been a hobby,
    eh??

20. hannes69

That was a good one, one point for you ;)

SeMoTony likes this.