Tutorial: make your own raker depth gauge supported by software tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite surprising, yes. People can chime in and critisize, people can make many words, people can´t use an angle-grinder and make that thing.
Seriously: I´m not surprised. I´m very well aware of the fact, that most people in this world prefer 'given' solutions. Many don´t have the time to make things yourself, many don´t have the right tools, manydon´t have the knowledge and experience, many simply aren´t intersted and don´t like to. The same story like me and hand filing a chain: I go the easy way here and use an electrical grinder.
This thread is addressed to people that like tinkering and are on the DIY path. I´m not after a mass phenomenon. The 'success' of this thread is not measured in selling units for me.
As I already mentioned several times: You can make anything out of this thread. I have already my raker depth gauge and it works for me. You can ignore this thread. You can make this depth gauge or not. You can make a patent and sell the idea. Do whatever you want. And skip those false assumptions about my person. I´m spending part of my free time here and discuss some things, nothing more.
Like some people like to spend part of their freetime and act like a turd in the punch bowl.
You like to see some problems in this thread? Do so. I don´t see any. Because there aren´t any.
Just making an observation. Was it not what you wanted to see?

Speaking of turds, glad you could show up. Maybe you could take this guy over to chainsaw repair and let him loose there?

Been there once and felt like I was gonna have a seizure. LOL And fwiw, (and if you would have read more of this thread), I pretty much took your position myself..., just with a more productive approach to identifying the differences between the lab and the real world when it comes to chain maintenance and how different folks and different situations require different solutions.

I happen to get both sides of the discussion. I free hand file and use a grinder.., and a progressive style raker gauge because they work better over the life of the tooth than the fixed gauges.

Guess that makes me a taint..., or maybe a laxative.

Been there once and felt like I was gonna have a seizure. LOL And fwiw, (and if you would have read more of this thread), I pretty much took your position myself..., just with a more productive approach to identifying the differences between the lab and the real world when it comes to chain maintenance and how different folks and different situations require different solutions.

I happen to get both sides of the discussion. I free hand file and use a grinder.., and a progressive style raker gauge because they work better over the life of the tooth than the fixed gauges.

Actually, I, myself have appreciated your input in this thread. FWIW.

Just making an observation. Was it not what you wanted to see?
Of course. It´s my wish to see people making some DIY stuff. But obviously I´m not in the position to force someone. So...
Every idea is an experiment. You don´t know the result before.
I still don´t know what happens next.
Maybe development continues, maybe it stalls.
Maybe constructive discussions, maybe some turd discussions. Who knows.
Because I don´t (have to) earn money with this, it isn´t really serious stuff. Nothing depends on it.
It´s a chance for developing something, the chance can be used or missed. That is not up to me.

Oh I did read all of it. Just skimmed though the boring stuff though.

Actually, I, myself have appreciated your input in this thread. FWIW.

Thank you. I've simply tried to keep a grounded position while also trying to learn just enough to appreciate the time and effort put into 'the chance' for me to either take it or leave it.

but then come and say you don't/can't file a chain by hand? Seriously?

You cut wood all day with just two chains and never touch them up so your cutting half your time with less then sharp chains and your preaching on rakers?
Its a prerequisite to know how to file a saw here or even own one or they are not worthy..
You believe all the engineers that designed all the chain and saws you've ever owned know how to run one as well hand file a chain... lol
This is a 'mathamatical solution' here, (for lack of better words)
not who can hand file 'smashed cutter'.
There is a lot of people that have been cutting for many many years and without an ounce of theory. They are nothing but hacks and always will be.
He's covered with the grinder and its obvious to me he is with his raker maintenance. As long as he doesn't run dull, as well, he keeps sprockets and guides fresh and uses good bars and flips them on the next grind and uses rail pullers then he will keep going forward and an "experienced cutter" ,(reference below) in your weak perspective, that go to the bush with ONE CHAIN, will keep going back.
And that's a fact Jack.

Moreover:
And where do you get off making assumptions on how long a chain lasts all around this planet anyhow?

On the coast you can often cut all day if you keep the chain on and don't hit sand in the moss with cutting old blow down.

I know a little bit about cutting pine in Canada anyways.
"Fall & Burn for 12 winters through the height of the largest beetle epidemic known to man...from the west side of British Columbia, up and down each side of the Rockies and chased then dam near to the Saskatchewan.

There was times companies didn't have enough Fallers or good saw hands even so I would get payed per tree to fall and buck
How 'bout I can cut fall,limb and buck three trees an hour 24" × 6" × 100ft
15" syndical average over length
That makes eack cut a sq ft
average × 40+ cuts

Your looking at 1000sq ft per day and limbs without filing if all goes well.
That's Limbed so the green blocks can be stacked tight to burn. 33ft×30ft

"He spends half the time running dull" ?

That's funny^^ just pulling **** out of your arss.

Experienced cutters can go to the woods with one chain, a round file with a handle and a flat file and will cut circles around your machine sharpened chains.
And many people can cut circles around many others that also hand file. Having and doing everything right at first is the most important.

There is many young guys now that broke into some of the most challenging and dangerous timber cutting on this planet and couldn't hand file to save their lives.

They did the Fallers course and they start getting taught to set up a square grinder the first night and flip there bars and all the high level stuff it takes. Supervisors. would prefer that scenario. It makes a lot of things a lot easier. The success rate would be much better as it makes a lot of things simple.
Hand filing is a lost art in PNW production cutting and
Its about unheard of in the States at that level.

Far as I'm concerned any credibility you might have had is gone.
I don't really have to say it do I.:innocent:

I think your whole "software" idea while novel as it may be, is really a bunch of baloney. Your improving the file o plate? Yeah ok, your smarter then all the chain companies that have invested countless millions over how many freaking years?
Companies have this data.
Haha ...If he did approach them with the packaged produced then its quite possible "they" could buy him out and shelf it. (Pull "a Microsoft" and 'suppress technology') The longer the chain lasts the more chance it will fail. They don't want this. Now you have a bunch of customers complaining...And worse yet, longer lasting chain means what? In the eyes of a manufacturer?. Not good!

I guess you could have said the same thing about saw companies and saw porting. Kind of a parallel here, go figure. I imagine you would have if saw porting was new and broke on the internet.
Its really that surprising to you that there could be gains to be had. WOW.

I can chime in to a thread here anytime i want to address your mumbo jumbo and i was adding to your discussion.

. A sharp cutter is way more important then a slightly out of spec raker.
what does this have to do with the price of rice in China?

A left arm is better than a right foot..What?
Because you can't address or probably understand the topic so you want to try and muddy the waters I suppose.
Weak!

If your so sure of your idea, patent it, produce it and sell it. See how that goes..
patent it? And a company can make a slight change like sell it with out the bend.
Too many hacks anyways. If they use a gauge, its probably a saddle gauge from Taiwan, They are truely progressive, you just have to buy one with every chain.

Companies have this data.
Haha ...If he did approach them with the packaged produced then its quite possible "they" could buy him out and shelf it. (Pull "a Microsoft" and 'suppress technology') The longer the chain lasts the more chance it will fail. They don't want this. Now you have a bunch of customers complaining...And worse yet, longer lasting chain means what? In the eyes of a manufacturer?. Not good!

I guess you could have said the same thing about saw companies and saw porting. Kind of a parallel here, go figure. I image you would have if saw porting was new and broke on the internet.
Its really that surprising to you that there could be gains to be had. WOW.

what does this have to do with the price of rice in China?

A left arm is better than a right foot..What?
Because you can't address or probably understand the topic so you want to try and muddy the waters I suppose.
Weak!

patent it? And a company can make a slight change like sell it with out the bend.
To mainly Hacks anyways. If they use a gauge, its a saddle gauge from Taiwan, They are truely progressive, you just have to buy one with every chain.

Blab away, I don't care. I just consider the source and you were mostly the only one even buying into that crap. LOL

Two files and real-world skill will keep that chain cutting well and is arguably the best method. No need for a raker depth gauge, digital angle finder, etc. Instant feedback from the chain on the bar so easy to make small filing adjustments and gauge how the chain responds.

But, I hate having to bring a rocked chain back to life with a hand file, cue the grinder. I guess if I had more of that aforementioned real-world skill I wouldn't be rocking chains in the first place.

Aaah, show time, the turd team already entered the field ;)
For myself being a chainsaw rookie it is maybe understandable that I find some time for forum´s discussions, but the pros here capable of hand chain sharpening, countless years in the wood and without the need of helping tools should really be in the forest and make use of their capabilities instead of discussing with rookies.
On the other side it´s an honour for me that you find it way more important to entertain me than earning your money by using your real skills.
Thank you !
So this thread comes to new dimensions, not only dealing with serious stuff on one side, but dealing with turd material for entertainment in between that delivers some relaxation. A good balance. So there dosen´t come up the danger that my brain will overheat with all the numbers and thinking, some jokes here and there won´t mean a damage for anything.
Of course in the long run it is not fair to bind arboristsite´s server capacities only for turd stuff.

For myself being a chainsaw rookie it is maybe understandable that I find some time for forum´s discussions, but the pros here capable of hand chain sharpening, countless years in the wood and without the need of helping tools should really be in the forest and make use of their capabilities instead of discussing with rookies.
C'mon man. Put your ego back on the shelf and start appreciating the learning opportunities being freely presented to us rookies by experienced people who have been there done that and survived long enough to come back and help teach the rest of us. I came later in life to chainsaws, going from being on top of my game in a different field to grovelling with the rest of the rookies, making and still making stoopid mistakes and learning. There's heaps to be learned on this forum, if we are willing to learn it.

There is a lot of people that have been cutting for many many years and without an ounce of theory. They are nothing but hacks and always will be.
Sometimes the language barrier shows up. 'Hack' seems to be a word with many different meanings. The online dictionary delivers e.g. 'worn-out horse', I´m not so sure if you meant that or something else :D

On the other side it´s an honour for me that you find it way more important to entertain me than earning your money by using your real skills.
Thank you !
So this thread comes to new dimensions, not only dealing with serious stuff on one side, but dealing with turd material for entertainment in between that delivers some relaxation. A good balance. So there dosen´t come up the danger that my brain will overheat with all the numbers and thinking, some jokes here and there won´t mean a damage for anything.
Of course in the long run it is not fair to bind arboristsite´s server capacities only for turd stuff.

No, I usually just help folks here fix their chainsaws..

No, "tutorials".....

C'mon man. Put your ego back on the shelf and start appreciating the learning opportunities being freely presented to us rookies by experienced people who have been there done that and survived long enough to come back and help teach the rest of us. I came later in life to chainsaws, going from being on top of my game in a different field to grovelling with the rest of the rookies, making and still making stoopid mistakes and learning. There's heaps to be learned on this forum, if we are willing to learn it.
That´s not an ego thing. I am myself on the VERY learning side. But I have to deal in some way with someone else´s ego problems here. There a several possibilities. Simply ignoring such things is one, but that´s too boring for me :) So I try to make some fun out of it.
There are several things to learn within this thread here, but what to learn is different for the crowd members here. I´m already learning many things here. Many things very different from what I thought I could learn here, but that´s ok, you can´t predict such things.

Back