Tutorial: make your own raker depth gauge supported by software tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That´s not an ego thing. I am myself on the VERY learning side. But I have to deal in some way with someone else´s ego problems here. There a several possibilities. Simply ignoring such things is one, but that´s too boring for me :) So I try to make some fun out of it.
There are several things to learn within this thread here, but what to learn is different for the crowd members here. I´m already learning many things here. Many things very different from what I thought I could learn here, but that´s ok, you can´t predict such things.
So, have you learned anything constructive about your premise, or merely about the folk you are dealing with?

Getting overly wound up in "minutiae",

kind of goes against your arrogance from the start.....

Of course you will pick up a couple of followers that love to banter over measurement crap........

Two files and real-world skill will keep that chain cutting well and is arguably the best method.No need for a raker file, digital angle finder, etc.
Arguably? Has that something to do with 'to argue' and 'arguments' ? I think so. What is so difficult to accept different opinions? You don´t need a raker file. Perfect. I say: No need for 'real world skills' when I can use a grinder and a raker depth gauge. What makes one opinion more 'right' than the other? Nothing. We are speaking of personal preference.
When we want to find out something about preferences, we can all open here poll threads. You can simply ask 'Do you prefer hand / free techniques or machine / guided techniques when fiddling with your chains'.
It doens´t make any sense to chime into a thread dealing with one of the two sides and simply argue 'I´m on the other side, I don´t like this approach'.
It would really never come to my mind to chime in to a hand filing thread and start strange discussions about the crap 'hand filing concept' and give arguments for my concept.
I can open a list now and make markings who of you in this thread here likes manual techniques, who likes machine techniques, who likes both of them and who likes destroying anything that comes along the way.
I can publish the list now or burn it up or whatever, it certainly has no purpose.
You´re wasting your time here with such approaches (or you are here solely for entertainment purposes; then I wish an enjoyable show!)

kind of goes against your arrogance from the start.....
What arrogance :D

Of course you will pick up a couple of followers that love to banter over measurement crap........
I pick up many things here. I even pick up a real huge tile of turd that I can throw finally in my punch bowl.
Feel assured that this thread is giving back more to me than to you, so I´ll never complain. :)

No, I usually just help folks here fix their chainsaws..
Read your sentence in the quote word by word, and do yourself a really huge favor and replace 'usually' by 'always'. I´m glad to hear that you´re actually here in the forum to help people. Sometimes there are really false impressions.

OK. You expect one to "make" a gauge tool to adjust the rakers/depth gauges.
No expectations on my side. I´m showing one of 100 different possibilities. Use it or take one of the remaining 99, your choice.

Why would not anyone just use a "generic" depth gauge tool and go cut some wood?
Everyone can do exactly that. Why not?

If the chain isn't aggressive enough,
then just get a different height gauge.....
Sure. Why not?
The only important thing is that you are happy with YOUR choice. When you are happy, then there is absolutely NO NEED to think about alternatives.

So, have you learned anything constructive about your premise, or merely about the folk you are dealing with?
I have learned many things here. New vocabulary. Many things about the folk here, yes. Things about myself. Things about misunderstandings. Things about ignorance. Things about some brains´ boundaries. Things about being conservative and over critic. Things about differences in mentality.
And yes, there are some really good discussions with some forum members here dealing with technical aspects about my premise.
I think it´s all in a good balance and within the range you can expect.
Some principles are always the same since the beginning of mankind.
The part dealing with 'useful' things, constructive discussions and reasonable exchange has always been smaller than the large pile of turd.
It has obviously a reason that this planet has its current constitution, that doesn´t come from the overwhelming intelligence of mankind.

I have learned many things here. New vocabulary. Many things about the folk here, yes. Things about myself. Things about misunderstandings. Things about ignorance. Things about some brains´ boundaries. Things about being conservative and over critic. Things about differences in mentality.
And yes, there are some really good discussions with some forum members here dealing with technical aspects about my premise.
I think it´s all in a good balance and within the range you can expect.
Some principles are always the same since the beginning of mankind.
The part dealing with 'useful' things, constructive discussions and reasonable exchange has always been smaller than the large pile of turd.
It has obviously a reason that this planet has its current constitution, that doesn´t come from the overwhelming intelligence of mankind.
So what tier of intelligence might you place yourself in? You pick a number. One to ten? One to a hundred? Just for grins. You like fun, right?

Oh I did read all of it. Just skimmed though the boring stuff though.
Every time I read your posts I hear Walter Brennan’s voice in my head.

One of the great character actors.
I remember him at the beginning of “The Sons of Will Sonnet”

Walter Brennan’s character is the grandfather and traveling with his grandson.
Someone says Will Sonnet was the fastest ever.
Walters character says.....”Third fastest.....my grandson is faster than his pa. And I’m faster than both of them......No brag, just fact”

Back to it guys.

So what tier of intelligence might you place yourself in? You pick a number. One to ten? One to a hundred? Just for grins. You like fun, right?
I like fun, yes :) I see, main purpose here is not to talk about the thread´s topic, but dealing with many sidelines. And, very interesting, many of them have to do with my person. You really prefer talking directly about a chainsaw rookie and his personality instead of talking about chainsaw stuff? Absolutely ok, but maybe a psychologist´s forum would be a better place for such ideas.
But I try to answer most of the questions here coming up, regardless of being ontopic or not:
Your question can´t be answered the way you made it. There are many sorts of intelligence. Logical, emotional, social, empathic, practical, rhetorical,.... I would personally assume within my arrogance that in the field of logical intelligence I´m a certain amount over average. I have no assumptions regarding other fields, I don´t think there´s much of a need for such self-assessment :cool:
So how do you consider your intelligence? We are all very interested in. You know, you certainly like fun as well, right? ;)

Calling people turds won't improve your learning opportunities.
No.
I have learned to make differences in life, especially when dealing with people.
If someone is really a turd, then I call this person like that. A turd certainly isn´t willing to learn anything from me and in the reverse direction a turd is certainly not willing to teach me anything.
On the other side there are some people who like to teach and learn something.
You´ll find both groups mentioned within this thread. Both groups are rather small.
In between is the large mass that can be considered a sort of 'neutral'. Some opinion here and there, a little ontopic stuff, way more offtopic stuff, most of the time not willing to learn something, sometimes a shimmer of wanting to teach something. Tendency more willing to critisize things than accept them. More of the 'smalltalk type'. 'Let´s talk a little bit about it, but to be honest, I really don´t care.'
So what to say? One group is very suitable for the constructive part. That fits well into the thread´s topic. One group´s destiny is the destructive part. That´s the group you don´t gain anything useful directly, but you can have very very much fun with it when willing to play on its offered field of destruction. The last group is not so well defined and a little bit more inhomogenous. When in the right mood, one could try to gain something in this field. That would maybe require an attitude that is built up upon patience, goodwill and the will to often powder the ass (formulated drastically). There I have some difficulties, yes. I´m more of the type 'you are already interested in this topic here, know something of it, share already some opinions, are already motivated, willing to learn something, like to cooperate and want some useful exchange'. I don´t consider it my job to build that up for somebody - it is already the case - or not.
That´s what I said already many times, if someone is not interested, doesn´t care, doesn´t want to participate in a positive manner, stay away from this thread and try your luck elsewhere.

And beside all that: Concerning the very topic of this thread, there´s surely more the community can learn from me than the other way round. Yes, this is possible. I am a chainsaw rookie, I can´t hand file a chain and parallely I know more about the 'cutting angle' and raker depth gauges than many others here. Because I have specialized in this topic by chance.
And all the other learning possibilities in this forum can´t be blocked from me personally, internet is open for everybody. I have learned many many things in this forum here already and this process will continue.

BTW I´m well aware of some human and psychological principles. If the same thread here would be opened and presented by a 60 year old US guy (or at least native English speaking country) with 40 years of professional experience, a mouth not too big, not too arrogant and more on the practical side of things using more colloquial language, there certainly would be a dynamic differing from the one here. But sadly sadly not everything in life allows "make a wish".

Sometimes the language barrier shows up. 'Hack' seems to be a word with many different meanings. The online dictionary delivers e.g. 'worn-out horse', I´m not so sure if you meant that or something else :D
Even if its a Hack ....you never look a gift horse in the mouth...OK? Not in America anyway. It can be very hot and a long walk out of the Canyon. Don't ask me how I know this.

Ok... No, that's an old Western description.

The metaphor I just used...."Don't look a gift horse in the mouth is an expression here that one may say to someone else about someone that just helped them out.
They did something for them or gave them something but it was less than perfect circumstances or the physical integrity was in question.

Origin: A Horse (or people) can/will have a presence of long teeth as the gums will retreat with age. Simply you didn't 'look the gift horse in the mouth' as it would be an insult.
We say he/she is getting long in the tooth also. Not usually to their face though...lol

Europe is familiar with the UK English expressions so in this case that would make the Cowboy the Hack ..Meaning a bad tradesman/ 'tradesman'
Hack: carelessly chop, cut into pieces opposed to precision.

We may also say a Butcher. Call me a Surgeon then that's a complement, call be a Butcher? Not so much..lol

No.
I have learned to make differences in life, especially when dealing with people.
If someone is really a turd, then I call this person like that. A turd certainly isn´t willing to learn anything from me and in the reverse direction a turd is certainly not willing to teach me anything.
On the other side there are some people who like to teach and learn something.
You´ll find both groups mentioned within this thread. Both groups are rather small.
In between is the large mass that can be considered a sort of 'neutral'. Some opinion here and there, a little ontopic stuff, way more offtopic stuff, most of the time not willing to learn something, sometimes a shimmer of wanting to teach something. Tendency more willing to critisize things than accept them. More of the 'smalltalk type'. 'Let´s talk a little bit about it, but to be honest, I really don´t care.'
So what to say? One group is very suitable for the constructive part. That fits well into the thread´s topic. One group´s destiny is the destructive part. That´s the group you don´t gain anything useful directly, but you can have very very much fun with it when willing to play on its offered field of destruction. The last group is not so well defined and a little bit more inhomogenous. When in the right mood, one could try to gain something in this field. That would maybe require an attitude that is built up upon patience, goodwill and the will to often powder the ass (formulated drastically). There I have some difficulties, yes. I´m more of the type 'you are already interested in this topic here, know something of it, share already some opinions, are already motivated, willing to learn something, like to cooperate and want some useful exchange'. I don´t consider it my job to build that up for somebody - it is already the case - or not.
That´s what I said already many times, if someone is not interested, doesn´t care, doesn´t want to participate in a positive manner, stay away from this thread and try your luck elsewhere.

And beside all that: Concerning the very topic of this thread, there´s surely more the community can learn from me than the other way round. Yes, this is possible. I am a chainsaw rookie, I can´t hand file a chain and parallely I know more about the 'cutting angle' and raker depth gauges than many others here. Because I have specialized in this topic by chance.
And all the other learning possibilities in this forum can´t be blocked from me personally, internet is open for everybody. I have learned many many things in this forum here already and this process will continue.

BTW I´m well aware of some human and psychological principles. If the same thread here would be opened and presented by a 60 year old US guy (or at least native English speaking country) with 40 years of professional experience, a mouth not too big, not too arrogant and more on the practical side of things using more colloquial language, there certainly would be a dynamic differing from the one here. But sadly sadly not everything in life allows "make a wish".
“I know more about cutting angle and raker depth gauges than anyone here”........heck of a statement.
And MAY be true. If you do you have and you came here to see how that fits in that’s good.
But look at the importance of what you bring and accept it.
But also look at how important what you buying in is worth.
If your gauge is 500% better but what it is improving is .5% of the entire cutting process......how far do you obsess......

It seems like it would fit more in a production shop. Where the same chain was cutting the same type of trees with the same saws.

Most of the pro guys here are using years of knowledge when they hit the rakers.

It seems like a treatise on “seat of the pants” rules of raker filing would be nice.

If the same time was spent on the throttle instead of making “enth degree” gauge that more wood would be cut.

How are you testing your theory on gauge depth? And what controls are you using in your testing? In relating to all the other cutting angles for starters.

Not arguing. Just wondering.

Latest posts

Back