Tutorial: make your own raker depth gauge supported by software tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't you have to make a gauge for each brand of chain?

Or one for each model chain in each brand?

Why not use one like this?
View attachment 647712

But yes, I applaud the effort so far.

Freaks huh???......

What are you tryin' to say???

I am well known as a "freak" in the bedroom....

But not in the chainsaw shops......

I was about to say "P"?
You do a quick edit, sir!!

Derail is kinda my thing......

However, I think the politeness just ended.

OK, yes. I only speak for myself.

Let the history continue....

Another "floater"!!!

And have the poster not use the "language barrier" as a quick easy way out of responding to questions.

But hey, we are a big pile of "TURDS".....

I showed a couple of examples of chain, that would cause some problems for the gauge to work.

But they were dismissed immediately. I saw no response to my questions.

Unless one purchased a case of identical loops at one time. Which is absurd.

Lots of questions have popped up.

Have at it.......

Well, Hoosiers.......

No worries.
We here in Ky., well we miss Bobby Knight.

He should be our next Secretary of State....

Lol...

Exactly!!!!

That type of "arrogance" is what we tend to resist...

Just as a nation of misfits.....

Kind of why we elected a "rude" leader.....

Well, I am sure that he is.

Speaking as a turd.....

Lol, so you have no vids of your "work"? Just make references to Stihl's vids?

I/We would like to see a vid of your "gauges" being used. Not an imaginary image "derived" after watching a vid from Stihl's site.
So the gauge will rest on the shoulders of the rivet?

If someone brought you a chain, how long will it take you to produce a gauge that will/would work?

Yeah "learned" my arse.

Sorry, I use a shotgun when in a fight....
Lots of farkers may take a pellet.

Arrogance.

That is the difference....

Questions are not "criticism", in any country.

All of life can be explained in "plain geometry".

But it will not serve any practical purposes.

So the buyable gauges are bad, why?

They ride on the top/front of the chisel, and set the height of the depth gauge.

Respond to "1" of my questions,
please.

I joke around.
But I do make a point from time to time.

Show one pic of a chain that you have sharpened. Then a pic of one of your gauges on this chain.

Your gauge on a new chain doesn't count.

Yes, I am a little "Rock'n'Roll"

View attachment 649296

Here.....

whatever....

Well up untill now....

Can anyone translate?

Is that OK?

What about bananas?

Just from an old guy that has sharpened a lot of chains....

A progressive raker gauge? Like any one of those shown earlier? Why are they all different?View attachment 649307

So these gauges are only for the chains worth sharpening? Eh?

So your gauges are the same as the O.P.s?

I thought his were much/more/betterer!!!

And, no. I will not go out to the shop and take pics of chains....

So the gauges in your pic are from who?

And why are they inferior to the O.P.s?

So do they try to rest on the rivets?

Are they not "progressive"?

His are soft or hard?

Or does he need 2? For each model chain? Of all of the hundreds of chains?

Well, the ones that matter.....

It is starting to get good now.....

Folks here "use" chainsaws....

2 teams!!

Turds vs. Anal Warriors!!!

Yes, toying with stupid americans has long been a hobby,
eh??

Has anyone put up a pic of their tool, made from this "tutorial" yet?

Let's see it!!

I mean from the followers.....

BTW.........

And who supplied the rubber bands?

No, I usually just help folks here fix their chainsaws..

No, "tutorials".....

OK. You expect one to "make" a gauge tool to adjust the rakers/depth gauges.
And the next loop, you expect them to fabricate another?

Just as a start.

Why would not anyone just use a "generic" depth gauge tool and go cut some wood?

Start with that bleak reality...

Explain.

If the chain isn't aggressive enough,
then just get a different height gauge.....

Or whatever.....

Yes.

We are kneeling at the altar of your "tutorial".....

Your goals/aims here are one of.

That's as many as I can fit..wow

“I know more about cutting angle and raker depth gauges than anyone here”........heck of a statement.
Please don´t change quotes in a sense that fits more to your position! The quote is "[...] I know more about the 'cutting angle' and raker depth gauges than many others here.". It is formulated exactly like that by purpose. I know something about this topic, I consider that this is maybe more thany many here know, I assume that there is a certain amount of people here that knows equally or more than me about this topic. I´m not the master of raker filing, I only have specialized a little bit on it, nothing more.

If your gauge is 500% better but what it is improving is .5% of the entire cutting process......how far do you obsess......
My point in this thread here is definitely not: "I have developed a new raker depth gauge which outperforms all existing ones by miles". No.
My point is, like the thread´s title suggests already: "You can make your own raker depth gauge if you like to. A piece of software and this thread may help you with this process". In the starting post then several advantages of this approach are mentioned. During the thread here and there you´ll find some numbers, showing that one type has a better performance than the other type at some points. That aspect is not the real topic here.
Type 2 gauge has slightly better numbers, the huge advantage is that it is way easier to produce than type 1. And it has disadvantages, all mentioned in this thread already.
Maybe you personally see ONLY disadvantages in making your own gauge or in whole of my approach. That´s fine. But what´s your point then reading this thread or even writing in it? I don´t sign to bakery forums in order to read threads there and write in some of them: "I don´t understand all the hype here, I don´t like baking cakes, Walmart offers the best cakes ever, why bake your own?"
Noone ever assumes that every person on this planet likes to tinker, make things on your own or tries to find better solutions than the given ones. But why blame the people who are on that path? I really don´t blame anyone for anything, if a guy buys a saddle type depth gauge and uses that or doesn´t use a helping tool at all, no problem. Preferences. And maybe abilities and experience. I can´t make a sharp and well working chain out of a dull one without helping tools like a grinder and a depth gauge. That´s the way for me, noone says that this is the case for everyone.

How are you testing your theory on gauge depth? And what controls are you using in your testing? In relating to all the other cutting angles for starters.
It´s not MY theory. It´s an empirical thing. BobL describes this in way better words in his thread than I am capable of. Many people share the experience that a constant cutting angle maintains the chain´s cutting performance through its life. You can achieve this constant angle with several methods, a DAF, manual measurement with a caliper, you can use a progressive depth gauge and can achieve rather constant angles. I consider the 'constant cutting angle' approach as a given. I don´t start with the big bang. I start with BobL´s thread as a given basis that I personally don´t question.
My personal testing / experience: I made some small tests with varying raker depths, yes. I tried cutting soft wood and hard wood, normal wood in the summer and frozen wood in the winter. I tried cutting lengthwise to the wood with a 'normal' chain (30° angle). I did this jobs with high and very low rakers. And simply FELT the differences. Especially when working in the 'edge area' when using extreme cutting angles with very hard wood e.g.
So the chain went through like butter or very roughly, there were differences in speed, the handling and so on.
For me it is not debatable that a chain (freshly sharpened) at its end of life point with the default raker depth of 25 mil has IRONIC MODE ON a little bit IRONIC MODE OFF less performance than a chain with the maintained cutting angle corresponding to the initial value of raker depth.
I have no personal theory in this matter. And I don´t make field studies or tests under laboratory conditions if you´re aiming to that direction. That would maybe a point when producing and selling something, but not when doing 'mumbo jumbo' (seeing posts above) in my free time :)

---------------------
It seems to be a hobby of some of you guys here to find in an acribic way the piece of rope within my arguments to hang me. If you consider me being a turd as well, you could skip this effort and say that in a more directly manner. No need to analyze all of my words. :)

Hannes, song parody or " Blowin' in the wind

Howwww, many times must a Faller look up
...before he can read in the sky?

How many pages will this thread turn over
..before... someone.. gives it a tryyyyy?

And How many ears must a slow man have
..before he can hearrrrr.. its a lie.?

And howwww ...many ...questions, will a non-interested man have,
..or is it that..
he's gets really super hiiigh?

The Answers
...I send
Have been blowin' in the wind
Yes the answers are blowin' in the wind.

Nice song :)
And in the domain of art there´s always room for interpretation... Let´s see what we detect in this song ;)

parody for "Blowin' in the wind

Howwww, many times must a Faller look up
...before he can read in the sky?

How many pages will this thread turn over
..before... someone.. gives it a tryyyyy?

And How many ears must a slow man have
..before he can hearrrrr.. its a lie.?

And howwww ...many ...questions, will a non-interested man have,
..or is it..
he's just getin' hiiigh?

The Answers
...I send
Have been blowin' in the wind
Yes the answers are blowin' in the wind

Please don´t change quotes in a sense that fits more to your position! The quote is "[...] I know more about the 'cutting angle' and raker depth gauges than many others here.". It is formulated exactly like that by purpose. I know something about this topic, I consider that this is maybe more thany many here know, I assume that there is a certain amount of people here that knows equally or more than me about this topic. I´m not the master of raker filing, I only have specialized a little bit on it, nothing more.

My point in this thread here is definitely not: "I have developed a new raker depth gauge which outperforms all existing ones by miles". No.
My point is, like the thread´s title suggests already: "You can make your own raker depth gauge if you like to. A piece of software and this thread may help you with this process". In the starting post then several advantages of this approach are mentioned. During the thread here and there you´ll find some numbers, showing that one type has a better performance than the other type at some points. That aspect is not the real topic here.
Type 2 gauge has slightly better numbers, the huge advantage is that it is way easier to produce than type 1. And it has disadvantages, all mentioned in this thread already.
Maybe you personally see ONLY disadvantages in making your own gauge or in whole of my approach. That´s fine. But what´s your point then reading this thread or even writing in it? I don´t sign to bakery forums in order to read threads there and write in some of them: "I don´t understand all the hype here, I don´t like baking cakes, Walmart offers the best cakes ever, why bake your own?"
Noone ever assumes that every person on this planet likes to tinker, make things on your own or tries to find better solutions than the given ones. But why blame the people who are on that path? I really don´t blame anyone for anything, if a guy buys a saddle type depth gauge and uses that or doesn´t use a helping tool at all, no problem. Preferences. And maybe abilities and experience. I can´t make a sharp and well working chain out of a dull one without helping tools like a grinder and a depth gauge. That´s the way for me, noone says that this is the case for everyone.

It´s not MY theory. It´s an empirical thing. BobL describes this in way better words in his thread than I am capable of. Many people share the experience that a constant cutting angle maintains the chain´s cutting performance through its life. You can achieve this constant angle with several methods, a DAF, manual measurement with a caliper, you can use a progressive depth gauge and can achieve rather constant angles. I consider the 'constant cutting angle' approach as a given. I don´t start with the big bang. I start with BobL´s thread as a given basis that I personally don´t question.
My personal testing / experience: I made some small tests with varying raker depths, yes. I tried cutting soft wood and hard wood, normal wood in the summer and frozen wood in the winter. I tried cutting lengthwise to the wood with a 'normal' chain (30° angle). I did this jobs with high and very low rakers. And simply FELT the differences. Especially when working in the 'edge area' when using extreme cutting angles with very hard wood e.g.
So the chain went through like butter or very roughly, there were differences in speed, the handling and so on.
For me it is not debatable that a chain (freshly sharpened) at its end of life point with the default raker depth of 25 mil has IRONIC MODE ON a little bit IRONIC MODE OFF less performance than a chain with the maintained cutting angle corresponding to the initial value of raker depth.
I have no personal theory in this matter. And I don´t make field studies or tests under laboratory conditions if you´re aiming to that direction. That would maybe a point when producing and selling something, but not when doing 'mumbo jumbo' (seeing posts above) in my free time :)

---------------------
It seems to be a hobby of some of you guys here to find in an acribic way the piece of rope within my arguments to hang me. If you consider me being a turd as well, you could skip this effort and say that in a more directly manner. No need to analyze all of my words. :)
My bad. As many here.......I was wrong.

How 'bout a Capricarious?

Honestly? If I had some material even remotely close to the thickness in all these calculations I'd make one..., or a couple. Maybe shim stock? Or maybe even some of the heavier metal pallet strapping would be strong enough? Wouldn't be overly concerned about all the anal precision, but more about how easy it actually is to make compared to how well it works for my approach to chain maintenance. A Dremel or die grinder and a file along with a couple measurements should be able to knock one out in 15 ~ 20 minutes. A tweak here and there should be all it would take to dial one in close enough for the real world. Just been way too busy rebuilding saws and re-reading your quotes to get at it. LOL

But I definitely intend to make a couple as soon as I can find some suitable stock and a little time..., just for chits and grins if nothing else. And I won't be shy about my impressions of the roll your own approach (and effectiveness) vs. the Husky depth gauge tools I use now..., which happen to work fine for me already.

Germans are from a different culture, so there are differences in "politeness".
In the 1990s, I worked a while at a factory that was putting in some new production lines, and the tooling was German, and they brought in a team from Germany to install them, they housed them in local hotels, but provided them with lockers at the plant. The lockers were on a wall by one of the existing production lines that were functioning, and the workers there were into the second hour of their shift {second} when the germans called it a day.
It was noted that a lot of gals {and guys} started congregating there on their breaks. Chatting with the workers on that line, etc...

The germans would get to their locker, strip down totally to change clothes.
Totally!!
Walk around with penises flopping, etc...
Penii???
Penae???
The old ladies would squawk and hoot, the germans just ignored them.....
The line would pretty much shut down.......

Latest posts

Back