Tutorial: make your own raker depth gauge supported by software tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you guys taken into account the curvature of the bar (where the angle is measured, and the various positions where different cutters cut) when making these caclulations?
I have not. For 3/8 chain the distance between one end of the cutter to the other end of the adjacent tie strap is 1.5". That´s the relevant length regrding the raker depth gauge tool. Within 1.5 inches the bar can be considered straight I think.

Lol.. Come-uppance??

Like not getting anal-ly wound up in some obscure facet in proper chain sharpening?

What is your goal here? That you will recruit an army of morons that will devote hours into making a tool that is absolutely "not" needed?

Development for many things goes on and on. There was a time where raker depth gauges didn´t exist. So eyeballing, maybe counting file strokes. Then constant raker depth gauges. Kind of progress I´d say.

Your profile says your 41 years old, I will tell you that raker gauges have been in existence for much longer then you have been on the face of the earth. Shortly after the first cutter chains in fact.

Your quote's

"Your thinking, your attitude, your problem. You don´t have to trust in my methods. As your credibillity is gone, it´s the best approach for you to make yourself gone as well in this thread."

"To all people out there thinking about the topic here 'mumbo jumbo': Fell free thinking this way, but PLEASE stay out of this thread then, it won´t help anybody to chime in to just say 'what a piece of crap are you making here'."

You see it's your way or the highway right? Wrong. When you post on a open forum asking for input, you better be ready to take it all, not just what suits your agenda.

I think your whole "software" idea while novel as it may be, is really a bunch of baloney. Your improving the file o plate? Yeah ok, your smarter then all the chain companies that have invested countless millions over how many freaking years?

If your so sure of your idea, patent it, produce it and sell it. See how that goes..

While us nay-sayers are cowering in the corner, now that you have properly put us in our place,
if someone brought you a handfull of chains to sharpen, could you get the job done within the span of a day or two?

After nearly three weeks, I find it telling that no one has actually chimed in, and said, hey I made one myself. Not even the supporters.

When you post on a open forum asking for input, you better be ready to take it all, not just what suits your agenda.
Feel free. You can have an opinion different from mine and you can post it exactly in this thread here if you like to. If this helps anybody here is questionable. You can open a poll if you´re feeling bored and ask 'is this thread useful or not?'. Yes, we can collect our opinions.

Yeah ok, your smarter then all the chain companies that have invested countless millions over how many freaking years?
Chain manufacturers definetly have invested countless millions in developing chains. Have they invested countless millions in developing a raker depth gauge? I think you know the answer.

If your so sure of your idea, patent it, produce it and sell it. See how that goes..
No. Why should I? I earn my money otherwise, this is a simple freetime project. I´m not after making money with such ideas. I have no clue about patents. The first post in this thread contains whole of the approach here. I made some intersting findings, I made a piece of software, I made some photos. I´m playing with a simple CAD program making some drawings, playing with numbers, doing some thinking and discussions.
That´s all, nothing more.

I don´t know why you are assuming that you PERSONALLY have to believe me something or you have to make this damn raker depth gauge yourself.
You can skip this and live a happy life without all of the things mentioned in this thread.

I have not. For 3/8 chain the distance between one end of the cutter to the other end of the adjacent tie strap is 1.5". That´s the relevant length regrding the raker depth gauge tool. Within 1.5 inches the bar can be considered straight I think.

Really? You think it can be considered straight?

With all your precise mumbo jumbo you think you can ignore the curvature of the bar?

Even us dummies who do it the old fashioned way know to pick out the flat part of the bar to set the rakers on.

Since your a rookie chain sharpener who can only use a chain grinding machine, why not set the raker depth on your machine?

Chain manufacturers definetly have invested countless millions in developing chains. Have they invested countless millions in developing a raker depth gauge? I think you know the answer.

Your right I do believe I know that answer. The chain companies know that setting raker depths is not rocket science, no need to invest millions on research and development, there money is better spent elsewhere. But never mind me, you go ahead with your software program and make yourself feel better while the guys in the know are busy cutting wood..

After nearly three weeks, I find it telling that no one has actually chimed in, and said, hey I made one myself. Not even the supporters.
Quite surprising, yes. People can chime in and critisize, people can make many words, people can´t use an angle-grinder and make that thing.
Seriously: I´m not surprised. I´m very well aware of the fact, that most people in this world prefer 'given' solutions. Many don´t have the time to make things yourself, many don´t have the right tools, manydon´t have the knowledge and experience, many simply aren´t intersted and don´t like to. The same story like me and hand filing a chain: I go the easy way here and use an electrical grinder.
This thread is addressed to people that like tinkering and are on the DIY path. I´m not after a mass phenomenon. The 'success' of this thread is not measured in selling units for me.
As I already mentioned several times: You can make anything out of this thread. I have already my raker depth gauge and it works for me. You can ignore this thread. You can make this depth gauge or not. You can make a patent and sell the idea. Do whatever you want. And skip those false assumptions about my person. I´m spending part of my free time here and discuss some things, nothing more.
Like some people like to spend part of their freetime and act like a turd in the punch bowl.
You like to see some problems in this thread? Do so. I don´t see any. Because there aren´t any.

Your right I do believe I know that answer. The chain companies know that setting raker depths is not rocket science, no need to invest millions on research and development, there money is better spent elsewhere. But never mind me, you go ahead with your software program and make yourself feel better while the guys in the know are busy cutting wood..
Yeah, I invested <10 dollars, you´re right, no millions needed.
'the guys in the know are busy cutting wood? So what exactly are you doing here now? Why are you involved in silly discussions instead of cutting wood? Not a guy in the know?

Your first post here was so long and full of BS I didn't bother to read it. I could smell a clunker right off the bat.
Hm. Maybe got a strong head ache between line 2 and 3 because of overloading your brain? Yes, in this position it´s quite easy to qualify someone´s ideas as BS. :)

Time to get the popcorn :)

Back