TW 6 Auto valve?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't do hydraulics either. However, if I remember right, the log lift and wedge lift valves precede the cylinder valves, which make me think power beyond is not necessary. Just a hunch.
I'm with Sawer Rob. I considered adding the auto valve, as it was no longer an option when I bought mine new. After running it a short time, I found some pieces twist going through the wedge, and some pieces just have odd shapes or even nubs that catch the front edge of the out feed table. I near tore the out feed table off many, many times. The fact that the out feed table is not permanently attached saved it, but I sure cringed when it happened. When towing the out feed table needs to be removed or it will easily bounce off the first quarter mile. Same with the slip on wedges.
I think the Eastonmade design has many updated improvements. The TW-6 is a beautiful machine to run however, and very fast.

I don't do hydraulics either. However, if I remember right, the log lift and wedge lift valves precede the cylinder valves, which make me think power beyond is not necessary. Just a hunch.
I'm with Sawer Rob. I considered adding the auto valve, as it was no longer an option when I bought mine new. After running it a short time, I found some pieces twist going through the wedge, and some pieces just have odd shapes or even nubs that catch the front edge of the out feed table. I near tore the out feed table off many, many times. The fact that the out feed table is not permanently attached saved it, but I sure cringed when it happened. When towing the out feed table needs to be removed or it will easily bounce off the first quarter mile. Same with the slip on wedges.
I think the Eastonmade design has many updated improvements. The TW-6 is a beautiful machine to run however, and very fast.

I agree with all of that, which is why I didn't get it sooner. I've been getting better wood for the last year or two. Don't get me wrong it's still 20% crap, but I've split enough wood to be able to know if a round it likely to run right through, or give me problems. I guess I'd like the the option to be able to walk away to grab the next round. Also, Its almost always the first split that goes sideways. The resplits usually shoot right through.

Not sure why I still have this, we sold our TW-5 years ago. These are from the TW5 manual. Not sure if they are any help or not.

Attachments

• Twolf Hydraulics.pdf
    209.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Twolf Hydraulics 1.pdf
    201.8 KB · Views: 10
Joesell I am not sure why you would ever need the power beyond. The way you splitter is set up in the picture you posted you already have power beyond on the valve that runs you wedge lift and log lift and then that valve feeds the splitter ram valve. Not much else you are going to add to that splitter down the road for hyd devices. I have owned two auto cycle valves the first one was on a homemade splitter and it was a early model when they first came out. Back then I was the only one that ran the splitter and it worked ok but always took some fine tuning to kept it cycling properly. Then I got some different help cutting and splitting wood and other people running the splitter. The valve was a pain with them so it came off and got sold. I installed a auto return on the splitter and it is still on it today. Five or six years ago I build a homemade firewood processor and put a auto cycle valve on it as I knew I would be the only one running the processor. Once again it seems like this valve takes a fair amount of adjusting of the pressures to keep it cycling properly. I don't think it saves any time as I split a lot of locust and hedge and have to reset the splitter a lot even running a six inch cylinder that has a lot of force. If you have a lot of good straight grain wood I think the valve would save some time. If there is any chance anyone near you has a splittter with a auto cycle on it so you could run it before you lay your money down it would be helpful. I would probably never buy other auto cycle valve again.

Joesell I am not sure why you would ever need the power beyond. The way you splitter is set up in the picture you posted you already have power beyond on the valve that runs you wedge lift and log lift and then that valve feeds the splitter ram valve. Not much else you are going to add to that splitter down the road for hyd devices. I have owned two auto cycle valves the first one was on a homemade splitter and it was a early model when they first came out. Back then I was the only one that ran the splitter and it worked ok but always took some fine tuning to kept it cycling properly. Then I got some different help cutting and splitting wood and other people running the splitter. The valve was a pain with them so it came off and got sold. I installed a auto return on the splitter and it is still on it today. Five or six years ago I build a homemade firewood processor and put a auto cycle valve on it as I knew I would be the only one running the processor. Once again it seems like this valve takes a fair amount of adjusting of the pressures to keep it cycling properly. I don't think it saves any time as I split a lot of locust and hedge and have to reset the splitter a lot even running a six inch cylinder that has a lot of force. If you have a lot of good straight grain wood I think the valve would save some time. If there is any chance anyone near you has a splittter with a auto cycle on it so you could run it before you lay your money down it would be helpful. I would probably never buy other auto cycle valve again.

Thanks, that settles the power beyond question. You said you ended up taking the valve off and replacing it with an auto return. That sounds like what I currently have on there. I was under the impression that I could still use the auto valve manually and have it auto return. Is that not true? I thought you could have the best of both worlds.

Thanks, that settles the power beyond question. You said you ended up taking the valve off and replacing it with an auto return. That sounds like what I currently have on there. I was under the impression that I could still use the auto valve manually and have it auto return. Is that not true? I thought you could have the best of both worlds.
You can use the auto valve manually. I don't know I would call it the best of two worlds. I took the valve off that time as I had two splitter's we were running and I wanted them to operate the same as we were using probably four different operator's then. That way both had a single lever valve with a auto return detent valve. With the auto cycle valve to manually run it you have to run both levers and I was worried one of these guys could get hurt having two different splitters that the hyd's worked differently. Like always it your money and spent it how you like but if you could run one for a day before you lay down that kind of money you might just keep what you got. Good luck and stay safe.

Joesell, I have a TW5 with auto cycle valve. I bought the splitter used and the valve was way out of adjustment. I went on the Prince website and downloaded the manual so I could tune in the valve. I tuned it in pretty well but it is still finicky. I think it it would be best to tune in with pressure gauges on all the lines mention in the manual but I don't have those gauges making it harder to tune. Having 2 levers to pull is kind of a pain and it is not logical as to what handle to pull when the auto cycle just stops and you want to back it up. I plan to build a splitter at some point to replace the TW5 and most likely I will use an auto return valve. It sucks when you have the next piece in hand, the autocycle kicks out, and you have to put down the next piece to finish the cycle.

Man, you guys are raining all over my parade! J/K, I really appreciate the honest opinions.

Joesell Not trying rain on your parade. Just want you to know this autocycle valve are not for everyone. I do think CUCV brought up a good point and if I was plumbing one today I would install a gauge on each line running to the cylinder. It would make fine tuning the valve a lot easier. I only have a gauge on the pressure line going into the valve so I can see the splitting pressure and my dead head pressure for the main relief valve. If you Google Brand Hyds they also make a autocycle valve I don't know if it has the same issues with tuning it or not.

Back