Two guesses

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am just finishing a final round of a thirty cord project in a fairly inaccessible down slope. From this recent project come some information that were previous guesses, but now more fact. From past experiences my recorded weights. Green Pine weighs 4,500 and 6,200 per cord. Green Oak goes 5,000 to 7,800 per cord, but mostly at least 6,500. All wood has been cut 18'' and been split. I know exactly what each load weighed because I went through scales. Very dry Pine weighs 3,800 to 4,500. Dry Oak more consistent at 5,500 to 6,000. Now it does make a difference here on what percentage of smaller wood or limbs that is in the loads. What I some what wondered about was dry pine that was exposed to wet weather. We have had two months of very wet weather and the pine absorbed moisture like a sponge thus making the wood more heavy than if it was green. Thanks

I am just finishing a final round of a thirty cord project in a fairly inaccessible down slope. From this recent project come some information that were previous guesses, but now more fact. From past experiences my recorded weights. Green Pine weighs 4,500 and 6,200 per cord. Green Oak goes 5,000 to 7,800 per cord, but mostly at least 6,500. All wood has been cut 18'' and been split. I know exactly what each load weighed because I went through scales. Very dry Pine weighs 3,800 to 4,500. Dry Oak more consistent at 5,500 to 6,000. Now it does make a difference here on what percentage of smaller wood or limbs that is in the loads. What I some what wondered about was dry pine that was exposed to wet weather. We have had two months of very wet weather and the pine absorbed moisture like a sponge thus making the wood more heavy than if it was green. Thanks

I do not know where all these guesses are coming from because they are not even in the ball park. A typical Load ( cord ) of 18'' Pine 15 to 25% moisture will have at least 150 splits, but less than 300 splits will weigh 3800 to 4500 LBS. Ask me how I know . When I got really bored I started counting each load. Each split is more than .5 cf. For Live Oak a typical load will weigh close to 6,000 LBS or using your math 121 splits will weigh at least more than 3,500 LBS. so is it possible to guess.

121 splits and 738 pounds

Are you telling us this is the answer?

According to a log weight calculator this "log" should weight about 400 lbs. How can it weigh almost double that?

Also, can't see how you got 121 splits. Your splits are small, but they aren't popsicle sticks. They appear top be about 3" x 4" on average. When drawn out on paper with a 32" circle, I come up with around 70 splits at most.

Am I missing something?

Are you telling us this is the answer?

According to a log weight calculator this "log" should weight about 400 lbs. How can it weigh almost double that?

Also, can't see how you got 121 splits. Your splits are small, but they aren't popsicle sticks. They appear top be about 3" x 4" on average. When drawn out on paper with a 32" circle, I come up with around 70 splits at most.

Am I missing something?
Your are missing the fact that it's bigger than a 32" circle. The picture isn't the most precise for all the engineers out there but the log is about 35" tall and 42" wide...not too often a tree grows perfectly round. You do have the correct split size though which is why this oak will be ready to burn next heating season. Also, I didn't weigh each and every split plus the little splitter trash that was created. I took 20 random splits, some bigger and some small and weighed them.
I can tell you two things: It was hard as hell to try to roll across the rain softened ground and I won't be using my 500lb rated log lift to lift these up whole.
And yes, I'm telling you the answer.

I do not know where all these guesses are coming from because they are not even in the ball park. A typical Load ( cord ) of 18'' Pine 15 to 25% moisture will have at least 150 splits, but less than 300 splits will weigh 3800 to 4500 LBS. Ask me how I know . When I got really bored I started counting each load. Each split is more than .5 cf. For Live Oak a typical load will weigh close to 6,000 LBS or using your math 121 splits will weigh at least more than 3,500 LBS. so is it possible to guess.
My cords have about 650-700 splits in them.

Back