Two guesses

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These "guess the weight and split count" threads are tough because everyone splits wood to different sizes. I like bigger splits, around 6" x 6". Another person might like them 3" x 3" which would yield literally 4 times the amount of splits. Yet another might like them rectangle 3" x 6" which would be halfway between the two.

The log weight can be guessed as long as the diameter and species is guessed closely. As shown here, camera angles can trick the mind even on that front.

Wasn't intending to come off as a jerk. Hopefully, no one took it that way. I assumed 32", because the bar appeared to just about touch the ground in the picture.
Yes, I can see that looking on a computer instead of my phone. It's just the angle the picture was taken at because there are a few inches between the ground and the tip of the bar. Also, it was less circular than the picture shows. Sorry for any confusion. This really was just meant for some entertainment and to use a fair guide in what some big rounds really do weigh.

These "guess the weight and split count" threads are tough because everyone splits wood to different sizes. I like bigger splits, around 6" x 6". Another person might like them 3" x 3" which would yield literally 4 times the amount of splits. Yet another might like them rectangle 3" x 6" which would be halfway between the two.

The log weight can be guessed as long as the diameter and species is guessed closely. As shown here, camera angles can trick the mind even on that front.
I totally agree with you on split size. That's why I took a picture of the splits but once again, camera angles can make things tricky. I would love to split pieces larger but this is what my customers prefer. They are a lot of weekend burners and aren't the most serious about heating with wood as people in a forum like this are.

Back