Two ricks is a truckload?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, here in Indianer, we see wood, or sometimes would, advertised by the cord, chord, coard, truckload, bucket full, pile, rick, ric, rik, and many other terms made up on the spot by the seller. Of course it's all "seasoned". Most of it for at least a day or two. It's common knowledge that a rick is 1/3 cord, but if the seller doesn't know what a cord is, that doesn't mean much.
I agree. Being a hoosier, myself, it is understood that a rick is 4'x8'x16" and multiply that by 3 and guess what you have? A full cord. :chop:

Ah but you forget the new order when 1 + 1= 3 but only on the 3rd Sunday of a month with four Sundays that the 13th falls on monday of the previous month. There that settles that.

Regs???????? No. How do I know that the animal beef comes from is a cow? How do I know the sun rises in the East and sets in the West? The point is, I don't know how I know it, I just do. It's just common knowledge. I have amended my comment from "officially" to "It's common knowledge that". There, happy now?

My apologies, I tied it to the wrong post. Should have been to the Massachusettes thing.

Here is the state of Massachusetts take on it

Section 298. Cordwood sold or offered or exposed for sale shall be four feet in length. The term ''firewood'' shall be construed to mean and include wood cut to any lengths of less than four feet and more than eight inches. Cordwood and firewood shall be advertised, offered for sale and sold only in terms of cubic feet or cubic meters which will be construed as indicating the closely stacked cubic foot or cubic meter content to be delivered to the purchaser. The terms ''cord'', ''face cord'', ''pile'', ''truckload'' or terms of similar import shall not be used in the advertising and sale of cordwood or firewood. The term ''kindling wood'' shall be construed to mean and include all split wood, edgings, clippings or other waste wood averaging eight inches in length. Except as provided by sections two hundred and forty-three and two hundred and forty-seven, the standard unit of measure for kindling wood shall be the bushel of two thousand one hundred and fifty and forty-two hundredths cubic inches.

Yep I love this state:crazy2:

PLease give us a cite to that. Google doesn't come up with it. I call a "spoof" due to the ban of "cord" and especially that last sentence.

About Buying Firewood
We get many calls from people either with questions about buying their seasons supply of firewood or what they can do after recently purchasing wood they were less than happy with. There are a few things you should know about wood and the laws regarding selling firewood that will help you make the best decision when making your firewood purchase.
Selecting a Firewood Dealer
When selecting a firewood dealer you should take several things into consideration.

Are They Licensed?

If the dealer is in the firewood business, they shall have a Forest Products Operators License issued by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Forest Service. The Maryland Forest Service can provide you with a list of licensed operators in your area. If you have found a potential dealer, you can easily check if they are properly licensed by calling (410) 260-8531 or by using this link: FPO, select "firewood" and your county.
Get References!

If you haven't worked with a particular dealer before, they should be willing to offer you references of customers they have delivered wood to before. If they're not willing to offer you a list of customers, those customers may not be happy ones.
Problems with a Firewood Dealer

Maryland law states that firewood must be sold by a cord or a fraction of a cord. This is enforced by the Maryland Department of Agriculture's - Weights and Measures section. If you have a concern about the volume of wood you have paid for you should contact them at (410) 841-5790. Note: they only handle matters where the volume of wood is in dispute.
Know What You Are Buying

Note, they are only concerned about the measurement, cord or fraction of a cord. If it's too green or too rotten to burn, that's on you for not researching your dealer, Joe.

Huh, odd they don't consider cord to be a legal measurement. I wonder if it's because of the confusion with face cord?

My brother who lives in Maine says everything in his area is sold by weight not volume. Generally 5-6000lbs a cord, but it depends on species.

Man I would hate to buy green oak like that. Saw an interesting ad on Maine craigslist

Semi Seasoned 6 month cut/split and Seasoned 10 month cut/split
All wood is premium hardwood; mostly Oak and Maple.

Processed, TUMBLED, and dried on pavement; so free of all MUD and DIRT.
Then the wood is TUMBLED AGAIN prior to loading into truck (new this year.)

Cords are delivered as 196 cubic feet, not 128. All major credit cards accepted. Bulk discounts available. We are a family operated but professional firewood company. Delivery Fees may apply based on location. We can deliver up to 4 cord in one delivery. I wonder why 196 cubic feet and what is up with this new trend of debarked tumbled wood?

I usually always get asked how big my truckload is. I then tell them I pack in 82 cubic feet or about 2/3 cord, so it takes 1.5 truckloads to equal a full cord. Section 298 in MA has to be one of the most descriptive and detailed passages that I have seen in years. Thanks for posting that. I'll make sure that all my logs are over 8" in length.

I've often offered to bring in a box or two of kindling, but nobody seems to want it. I cannot believe that they even defined that in the same paragraph.

I should tell the company that sold me four cords of firewood ends that they are in violation of the law:laughing: after all I had some 3 foot wide stump ends that were less than eight inches thick.

That has to one of the dumbest things ever put into law if true. Do you have a cite? I dtried google and couldn't come up with the state law. .

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXV/Chapter94/Section298

PLease give us a cite to that. Google doesn't come up with it. I call a "spoof" due to the ban of "cord" and especially that last sentence.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXV/Chapter94/Section298 Or you can Google state of Massachusetts cordwood. Remember one simple fact is is the job of the commonwealth of Massachusetts to make the simle things complicated and pass laws to back it up;)

(new this year.)

I wonder why 196 cubic feet and what is up with this new trend of debarked tumbled wood?

196 cuft of thrown wood, not stacked is considered to b the same a 128cuft of stacked. My guess is they are dumping enough wood in the truck to equal 196 cuft to save time on stacking the wood. As for the debarked tumbled wood, it sure would cut down on the mess and if I was doing it, all the bark would be going into my compost pile to be composed and sold. Over 70% of all nutrients contained in a tree would be in the first 2-3 cm of the outer layer of the tree. This would be the bark and Cambium layers as well as all small dia twiggs and leaf'. Look up ramail wood chips for more info.

Man I would hate to buy green oak like that. Saw an interesting ad on Maine craigslist

Semi Seasoned 6 month cut/split and Seasoned 10 month cut/split
All wood is premium hardwood; mostly Oak and Maple.

Processed, TUMBLED, and dried on pavement; so free of all MUD and DIRT.
Then the wood is TUMBLED AGAIN prior to loading into truck (new this year.)

Cords are delivered as 196 cubic feet, not 128. All major credit cards accepted. Bulk discounts available. We are a family operated but professional firewood company. Delivery Fees may apply based on location. We can deliver up to 4 cord in one delivery. I wonder why 196 cubic feet and what is up with this new trend of debarked tumbled wood?

I should tell the company that sold me four cords of firewood ends that they are in violation of the law:laughing: after all I had some 3 foot wide stump ends that were less than eight inches thick.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXV/Chapter94/Section298

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXV/Chapter94/Section298 Or you can Google state of Massachusetts cordwood. Remember one simple fact is is the job of the commonwealth of Massachusetts to make the simle things complicated and pass laws to back it up;)

Quite a setup! That's about $300-400k of iron just in that pic!
Paving an acre or two.... around here that'd be a $150-200k paving job and would be destroyed in a few years by running heavy equipment on it (its soft)

It sounds like it's loose wood, so 196 cu ft is about a cord. I guess with a FEL it can be packed in reasonably well vs it coming off a conveyor.

One thing I have discovered is that if I load my truck packed cab high with rounds cut to length and ready to split, the splits from those same rounds will equal about 100 cu ft when stacked. So, I can never get all of those splits back into the same truck. My truck also tends to moan and groan more when hauling a packed load of rounds cut to length than it does when hauling a packed load of splits.

I guess it depends on who is stacking. The couple times I've taken a stack of rounds, split it and restated I had at best about the same amount, though usually less. The splits can be stacked tighter.

That has to one of the dumbest things ever put into law if true. Do you have a cite? I dtried google and couldn't come up with the state law. .

The commoners can't possibly be smart enough to trade in firewood. The next step will be a state ran firewood distribution system.

Latest posts

Back