Two Types of Stihl 2-Stroke Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max2cam

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was out the other day on my bike visiting a few Stihl dealers for parts. Hearing how great the Stihl engine oil is supposed to be, I picked some up. In fact, I picked up two kinds.

Stihl High Performance Engine Oil (orange bottle)
0781-319-8015
6-pack of 6.4 oz. bottles for $7.99 (High buck!)

Stihl Low Smoke Engine Oil (black bottle)
ISO-L-EGD/FC
0781-319-8040
12.8 oz. for $2.25

I asked the dealers what the difference was between these 2 types of Stihl oil and they didn't know. So I'll ask the same question here: What is the difference?

If one is "low smoke" does that make the other "high" smoke?

I notice the Low Smoke oil in the black bottle meets ISO standards while the other type in the orange bottle does NOT state that. Is the orange bottle stuff made to the same standards or what? Yet it cost more. What gives?

What do you Stihl guys use and why?

The orange bottle is 50:1 mix and they also have a white bottle at 40:1. I haven't seen the black bottle at my dealer. I use the orange bottle at 50:1 and mixed with high test 93 octain I do not get much smoke at all, almost unnoticable.

Like ryan said. The white bottle is supposed to be "Universal" oil so you can use it in your other non Stihl equip. My dealer says you must use Stihl mix to keep your warrenty vaild.
Greg

And I didn't see the white bottle stuff.

Glad to hear the "high performance" oil (orange bottle) doesn't smoke much. I'm still suspicious why the ISO rating isn't listed on the bottle, but I'm happy to hear that you have good results with it because I'll be using it too.

The white and orange bottle are the same thing with packaging being the only differance. The black bottle oil is of much better quality than the white/orange oil being thta it is jaso fc and I believe isoegd certified. I have used the black bottle stuff and its ok. The Mob MX2T oil I currently use is cheaper and much better quality however.

Mobil?

Originally posted by bwalker
The Mob MX2T oil I currently use is cheaper and much better quality however.

Is that Mobil?

Is the ISO/JASO standard listed on the MX2T bottle?

And where do you find MX2T? At what price? I have never seen it for sale and I always look for new 2-stroke (a.c.) engine oil. Usually I find some off-brand I've never heard of...

Greg, Your dealer is either honestly mistaken or is deliberately lying to you. U.S. warranty laws do not permit the manufacturer to require their own brand of lubricants. They can require a particular grade BUT U.S. air-cooled 2-cycle specs are so old that the test engines have worn out. The japanese and european standards are much higher than our old standard and actually mean something. A lot of makers specify using more oil in the mix to sort of "cover" their behinds (like my Husky book that says to use "other"oils at 25/1.) . The bottom line is that they cannot void a warranty because you used some other brand of oil.(And since they all work at least marginally well the issue does't often come up!)

From this discussion and other reading, is it smart to shun any 2-stroke oil that that doesn't list ISO or JASO standards on the bottle? Turning that around, am I assured that any 2-stroke oil with the ISO or JASO standard listed on the bottle is a superior oil and can be trusted regardless of brand name?

If the oil is of iso egd and jaso fc quality you at least know it is of decent quality. that said some oils that carry the specs are better than others. In general full synthetic ester based oils like MX2T will be better than a mineral/PIB blend like the Echo oil mentioned above. BTW when I saw better I am speaking of deposits control and ultimatley wear as the two are closely related.

Is the Stihl "low-smoke" ISO oil mineral based or synthetic?

That Mobil MX2T sounds like good stuff...

Max, I cant really say for certain, but I would guess it is a mineral/PIB blend. PIB is a synthetic comppnent that is combined(replaces petrol bright stock) with mineral base oils to bring the finished product up to iso egd/jasofc specs. This is more cost effective for them(IE Profit) tahn to sell a full ester based syn oil.

Brian, dont be silly. My sled motors failure had nothing to do with lubricants and I was not using MX2T in it. If you have had good luck with stihl oil go ahead and keep using it. There are other products that are better and cost less though.

oil

Originally posted by Fish
Yes, if one would use the wrong oil mix, the saw might explode!

There sure is a vast difference in price between 2-stroke oil even if it looks the same. I can pay a couple bucks for Quaker State universal air-cooled 2-stroke oil or about $8 for the same amount of Stihl oil and more yet for a synthetic.

Since "blowing up" my 024 I have become superstitious even though I think it was an air leak that did the dastardly deed and not the mixture (although i may have forgotten to shake the gas-oil mix)...

Mobil MX2T doesn't have any mixing instructions on the bottle. Should it be used 50:1 just like the other oil's?

Originally posted by bwalker
The white and orange bottle are the same thing with packaging being the only differance. The black bottle oil is of much better quality than the white/orange oil being thta it is jaso fc and I believe isoegd certified. I have used the black bottle stuff and its ok. The Mob MX2T oil I currently use is cheaper and much better quality however.

Back