Type of Tree and why is the bark black?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xheesh

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The bark is not black throughout. It sort of looks like it was charred in a fire.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 31
  • unnamed2.jpg
    unnamed2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 32
  • unnamed3.jpg
    unnamed3.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 30
It's called bacterial wetwood and it rarely kills the tree. The bacteria usually enter from a wound, and feed on the tree's sap... lowering oxygen levels and creating an anaerobic condition, which is why the oozing sap smells bad.
Back in the day, people drilled holes in the trees, thinking it would lower the internal pressure... it actually makes the problem worse, not better. The higher internal pressures that cause the oozing are the result of fermentation. This actually makes it harder for wood rotting fungi to enter that part of the tree. There isn't any effective control, that I know of, for bacterial wetwood.

It's called bacterial wetwood and it rarely kills the tree. The bacteria usually enter from a wound, and feed on the tree's sap... lowering oxygen levels and creating an anaerobic condition, which is why the oozing sap smells bad.
Back in the day, people drilled holes in the trees, thinking it would lower the internal pressure... it actually makes the problem worse, not better. The higher internal pressures that cause the oozing are the result of fermentation. This actually makes it harder for wood rotting fungi to enter that part of the tree. There isn't any effective control, that I know of, for bacterial wetwood.
Found this. http://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/yard-garden/bacterial-wetwood-2-910/

Here is a close up of the bark and leaves.

Attachments

• unnamed4.jpg
    unnamed4.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • unnamed5.jpg
    unnamed5.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8

It does not appear to be oozing any sap though.

I've seen sugar maple hit by sapsuckers pretty hard and the oozing sap is then colonized by black sooty mold. Perhaps an option.

Latest posts

Back