Underbidding $&^%%$!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll leave and let you guys get back to your self-pity fest. Go on now, start back conversing about how much more you know, how much more you're worth than the Bubbas who got the jobs you wanted. God forbid you be competetive. Just sit back on the computer and banter back and forth all day and night while your trucks, chipper and crew sit idle. You must relish killing the messenger, instead of learning something from someone with no dog in the race and a differing opinion. Chao.

So trees are reaching permanent wilting point does bubba recommend irrigating the crap outta them, cutting them down as they will die for sure or toppng them to prevent limbs falling?

I would go with minimum irrigation and monitoring soil moisture and see if leaf regains turgidity:) Also: mulch to help keep damaged absorbing roots moist.

Last edited:
Trees near recent construction appear stressed what does bubba recommend? What is likely the problem? What can be done for improper construction creating compacted soil? Do we just go with bubbas idea?

Lol so bubba sees a carpenter ant crawl into a tree what does he tell the owner? The tree is doomed and must be cut?

I bet he would not tell them this!

Carpenter ants nest in trees in one of two situations: 1) in rotted, decayed wood or 2) in the center heartwood section of the tree. In neither case are they harmful to the tree. Control is unnecessary for the tree's health, as the ants are taking advantage of preexisting soft, weak wood to establish their colony. Insects, disease, or environmental conditions such as drought are often responsible for weakening and killing limbs or sections of trees. This allows wood rot to set in, which results in wood decay, giving carpenter ants the opportunity to colonize the tree. Carpenter ants use knots, cracks, holes, and old insect tunnels to gain access to these areas.

Control of carpenter ants in trees is warranted if there are indications that ants are entering homes from colonies in trees. If there is evidence of this, the best control is to bait the colony.

I'll leave and let you guys get back to your self-pity fest. Go on now, start back conversing about how much more you know, how much more you're worth than the Bubbas who got the jobs you wanted. God forbid you be competetive. Just sit back on the computer and banter back and forth all day and night while your trucks, chipper and crew sit idle. You must relish killing the messenger, instead of learning something from someone with no dog in the race and a differing opinion. Chao.

Now who sounds arrogant and like a know it all?

And I don't remember anyone asking you for advice or an opinion... Neither do I remember anyone saying anything about sitting idle or loosing a job to a hack. I got this one remember... Albeit at the hack price. And if we're not doing enough work for you over the Holiday I beg your pardon. I'm quite sure I made more money in 4 days than you did all week... Likely all month. I ended up doing about 2/3rds of what i did in the first half of my week in the second half after doing another job and collecting payment from a previous insurance job.

I think I'll make it without your little nuggets of wisdom...

Not trying to impress some of the whining sniveling and arrogant tree guys here, just trying to get them to stop and realize that others (non-certified) are trying to make a living too. Some of you are the most arrogant and elitist people I've ever interacted with. I've had to choke back tears of laughter at the over-inflated sense of self-worth some of you have of yourself and occupation. It's off the hook. Nothing wrong with taking pride in what you do, but good grief, it's tree work! Some of you think you're so special and the job so difficult nobody but you with your certification can do it. Maybe so, for thr truly involved jobs, but the Bubbas out there are not doing those ones.

Read the dang thread title.

Been to court and dealt with fish and game huh? Guess you didn't know much about your profession and got into some trouble with the law. Plus, you resorted to name calling BS just like a few others. Sad.
you kind of are like those jehovah witness's that go door to door just annoying .

hey buddy how bout this you can come and run with my crew for a week we pull in over a million a year, on this crew
alone, see how not technical are profession is!!! we do some of the biggest takedowns in the area but you know what sometimes we dont have any huge trees to fill an entire week or a full day so we NEED some of those small trees to fill the void see how happy your employees are when they only work 4 days a week or work 6 hours a day...

and no bubas cant do easy little trees without risk either my buddy had a guy with a saw and a pickup come out to take down a small tree it had a little tiny back lean nothing you couldn't wedge over but this guy didn't know what a wedge was what happened? tree went backwards took out the "white picket" fence and hit the neighbors shed nope no insurance but dont worry he got his monies worth... and I got a weekend project out of it clean up said tree build a new section of fence and repair a shed roof all in all a good days work

the guy did have a nice saw though and I mean did have a nice saw it was taken as partial payment of damage as my buddy proceded to kick this guy in the ass as he was running to the truck, musta been something to see

700 a day for over head hahaha those numbers wouldn't even cover the fuel costs for our company a day

unbelievable thread!!!!

someone with no background in tree work trying to give out advice to folks making a living at it. then being surprised when everyone calls BS...

unbelievable thread!!!!

someone with no background in tree work trying to give out advice to folks making a living at it. then being surprised when everyone calls BS...
and some just keep taking the bait............

Your right RF we do! But it is fun.
The truth is, he probably is someones ex-employee who couldn't hack it, made fun of by the boys and left with hurt feelings, showed up on the job with his pole saw and was laughed outa the shop, this is his way of getting us back! OR like I said before, he is one of the very people we all talk about, bubba, troll, hacker. Its all the same thing, except know we have a word to describe it, ROOSTER!

Im going to look up a Air Conditioning forum, I fixed my own AC, so I feel that licensed HVAC guys are overrated, gunna letem know.

Im going to look up a Air Conditioning forum, I fixed my own AC, so I feel that licensed HVAC guys are overrated, gunna letem know.

Last I checked was not too complicated. Had to know how to maybe flare some tubing, pressurize the system. Oh need something for that I guess.. but you can likely rent it. Electrical stuff on it can't be that difficult, couple of wires up to thermostat.. maybe a electrical wire to outside compresser unit..

Gee maybe I should put a sign out this afternoon advertising, bet I have what it takes. Wonder how to charge though.. how much is that stuff worth. Only need a pair of pliers a couple of wrenches.. pretty simple stuff.

Last I checked was not too complicated. Had to know how to maybe flare some tubing, pressurize the system. Oh need something for that I guess.. but you can likely rent it. Electrical stuff on it can't be that difficult, couple of wires up to thermostat.. maybe a electrical wire to outside compresser unit..

Gee maybe I should put a sign out this afternoon advertising, bet I have what it takes. Wonder how to charge though.. how much is that stuff worth. Only need a pair of pliers a couple of wrenches.. pretty simple stuff.

Yup I just fixed mine I took down a small tree and bought a new Frigidaire, why bother fixing they only cost 550 lol:)

Yup I just fixed mine I took down a small tree and bought a new Frigidaire, why bother fixing they only cost 550 lol:)

Well done!!

The point I guess that the rooster was making, is some tree work is within the hands of homeowners or bubbas. And, that I will agree is possible.. for SOME homeowners.

Having said that, electrical work, plumbing, gas fitting, air conditioning, framing, etc.. is all within the same realm.

Oh you gotta learn some code for electrical, plumbing or gas fitting.. but (personally I know from the electrical side) the code is actually easier to master for most than obtaining a CA from ISA. Yes you gotta study, and have a bit of a brain on your shoulders, but no different than any other profession.

As far as the actual work though.. tree work is likley more dangerous than any one of the trades above listed. Ok, so electrical or gas fitting can be dangerous. But it is all about knowing the dangers, and working safely. Same as tree work.

Point being, anybody that thinks a homeowner can do tree work safely, is no further off base than saying a homeowner can safely do electrical, gas fitting, plumbing, etc.

And, maybe SOME homeowners can.. if they have some knowledge/training in the area and can do it safely. Same goes for bubbas I guess.

But.. IF somebody is going to do it and charge.. at least :
a) learn how to do it safely
b) pay Workers Comp and Insurance
c) charge what the job is worth!

Then, maybe then, they might get a bit of respect and the homeowner gets something worthwhile for what they pay for. Will then be more costly, likely so. But then again would that same homeowner hire bubba to do electrical, gas, plumbing? Why not.. and what is difference?

Back