Understanding husqvarna model #,s ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Storeman

Reaction score
Always had Stihl saws starting with the 028 AV Super my dad bought new when I was about 14
Anyway I bought a 550Xp last year with the Triobrake . Love the power , can’t loose bar nuts,
And extra chain brake feature. Ok was looking at a used 372Xp the other day and wow at the price difference. How does Husqvarna grade there saws? Stihl was always pretty simple
Thanks

Usually the first number is the series and the next 2 are roughly the displacement. For current saws the 1 and 4 series are more home owner or farm oriented and the 3, 5 series are geared toward professional use. There generally is a pretty large price difference when going from a 50cc to a 70cc saw, tons more power though and heavier.

Funny...I could never figure out Stihl #s. As soon as you realize the first number (usually*) has nothing to do with size Husqvarna's system makes a lot more sense. There is a LOT of variability in their 300 numbering. There were a lot of older "homeowner" grade saws starting with a 3. XP at the end is one sure sign it is a pro-grade saw...but there are some pretty good saws without the XP.

*"Usually" because there are some old saws with 2 digit numbering which still roughly correlated to displacement expressed in cc.

Funny...I could never figure out Stihl #s. As soon as you realize the first number (usually*) has nothing to do with size Husqvarna's system makes a lot more sense. There is a LOT of variability in their 300 numbering. There were a lot of older "homeowner" grade saws starting with a 3. XP at the end is one sure sign it is a pro-grade saw...but there are some pretty good saws without the XP.

*"Usually" because there are some old saws with 2 digit numbering which still roughly correlated to displacement expressed in cc.

There is some variability in the numbering system but in generalities it can be broken down as I described. For stihl it always used to be if it had a white handle it was more along their pro saw lines and if it had a black or orange handle it was farm or homeowner use. At least since the mid 90's when they were all plastic handled. Also seems that even numbered models were pro saws and odd numbered were homeowner saws as well (021,023,025,029 vs 024,026.034,036,044,046)

Yeah...but what do the numbers on Stihl mean from there? Husqvarna's represent something pretty close to displacement in cc. Sthil's are just relative to each other - right? And they randomly flip. 066 to 660. Update of the same saw...right?

So a 441 is bigger than an 066 because it is a bigger number, right? :crazy: The thing with Stihl's system is that it is not relative to anything besides other saws - and even that isn't proportional. How much displacement does an 880 have? How much more than a 660? How about a 440? Is the jump from a 440 to 660 equal to the jump from 660 to 880 - they are both numbered 220 higher than the other...

I'm not saying Husqvarna's a great system (or that they are better saws)...neither are wonderfully great numbering systems. But Husqvarna gets pretty simple once you realize the first number has nothing to do with size. The 2nd and 3rd (& 4th on a 3120) digits tell you pretty well how big the saw is.

Back