Underwater Logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sidetracks galore. Main point from the original post is that WA says it owns all the natural logs in the; water, state takes a dim view of anyone stealing from it. (reverse not true)

Anyway, hope some of the comments help OP stay out of jail :cry:

Sidetracks galore. Main point from the original post is that WA says it owns all the natural logs in the; water, state takes a dim view of anyone stealing from it. (reverse not true)

Anyway, hope some of the comments help OP stay out of jail :cry:

Actually, NO, THE Main Point of the original post was what would the condition of an old growth Fir log be, after being submerged for the better part of a Century, reread the Original Post.

The advice to question the legality of removing the logs, is GOOD, but was not the main point of the original post.

Doug :cheers:

I AGREEDED that checking the authority of the Employees/Agency granting permission to remove the logs was a GOOD idea, that still wasn't the Main Point of the Original Post.

The OP obviously Assumed the Employees/Agency HAS that Authority, and checking that is EXCELLENT ADVICE, that should be heeded, that is part of the "Side Tracks Galore" that Art B is commenting on.

The Advice is GOOD, the Irony is, that he is commenting on "Side Tracks Galore" which his own comment is a Side Track, Kind of like a sleeping person being woken up by someone yelling "Fire", better to be Disturbed, than left alone.

Doug :cheers:

So I gather you can't overheat your wench pulling logs out of the government waters for you regardless of the condition of the logs?

If the logs have always been completely submerged under water, they will be preserved perfectly. Pending how long the log has been under water the sapwood might be gone from turning spongy and then decaying off. The only times I have ever seen real rot on a sinker log, is if part of the log was sticking out above the water line. I have seen sinker Cypress ,pine, oak, sycamore, cedar, Osage, and they have all been preserved perfectly under water. Beware.... Your sinker slabs will have some wild and exotic color though ;) . And Be sure to charge alot when you sell the slabs. I wouldn't take anything less that $30 per board foot for a real old growth sinker log giving your location. Good luck!

Back