Uneven wear on trailer tires

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what I would do.
-Jack trailer up
-Put axle on stands
-While turning each tire use a flat blade screwdriver to scratch a line approximately in the center of each tire tread. You may have to set screwdriver shaft on a block to hold it steady.
-Measure the distance between the lines on the front side of the tire and the rear side. If there is a drastic difference (more than 1/8") you have a toe problem. If you can measure top vs. bottom you will be able to see if there is a camber problem.
Hope this helps,
Lee

It would be easier to measure from the inside of rim to rim on the front side and compare to back side.

Retired guy from SE Manitoba

It would be easier to measure from the inside of rim to rim on the front side and compare to back side.

Maybe, but my thinking is you can accurately lay a tape right across the line in the center of the tires. Plus the added advantage of measuring farther from the center of the wheel. That's how we check toe on trailer axles at work. More than one way to skin a cat though!
Lee

Here's what I would do.
-Jack trailer up
-Put axle on stands
-While turning each tire use a flat blade screwdriver to scratch a line approximately in the center of each tire tread. You may have to set screwdriver shaft on a block to hold it steady.
-Measure the distance between the lines on the front side of the tire and the rear side. If there is a drastic difference (more than 1/8") you have a toe problem. If you can measure top vs. bottom you will be able to see if there is a camber problem.
Hope this helps,
Lee
Thank you. I’ll try this for sure

If you still can’t figure it out, I would pull axle off springs. Put it on the ground with rims on, note the top of axle and spin axle and see what tires/rims do. Watch for a wobble. On a light duty axle like this there’s usually no wobble. Being a square axle it looks homemade. Looking at the worn tire and it’s missing one of the outer tread lines, I think it may be toed in a bit. If it was toed out, the inside tread would be worn.

Here's what I would do.
-Jack trailer up
-Put axle on stands
Hope this helps,
Lee
Another thing that works if by your self is screw a real short drywall screw or sheet metal screw in one tire so you can hook a tape on it and mark the other with a screw driver like you mentioned or put a screw in both tires. Measure the front then rotate tires so screw is in the back and check again This is how I check tow in and out on the Jeep’s

Another thing that works if by your self is screw a real short drywall screw or sheet metal screw in one tire so you can hook a tape on it and mark the other with a screw driver like you mentioned or put a screw in both tires. Measure the front then rotate tires so screw is in the back and check again This is how I check tow in and out on the Jeep’s
Good idea to use a screw. I never thought of that. There always is someone around to hold the end of the tape at work.

Would not surprise me one bit if the tire had a broken belt or some other type of internal failure thats not visible from the outside. You can see cracking in the groove on the outside of the tread. Also I’ve had bias ply boat trailer tires wear really weird like that. Once they start a weird wear pattern they’ll never stop and usually compound quickly.

Some of those little donut tires aren't road rated and intended for yard carts and lawn tractor type stuff.
Those little donuts have to spin MUCH FASTER than a big tire at the same speed.
My son has got a little SunFish Sailboat with these donuts and I'll ONLY roll 55mpg MAX but my utility trailer w/ 15" tire I'll rock on.
Faster these spin, more centrifugal force.
I'd check and verify tire ratings, wheel bearing(slop) and slow down.

If it was my trailer I would switch out either the hubs or the whole axle and go with a radial trailer tire set up .
IMO radial tires are much better then those bias tires .
Ernie

Here's what I would do.
-Jack trailer up
-Put axle on stands
Hope this helps,
Lee
Another way is an adjustable curtain rod . Measure rear wheel to wheel then compair to the front . Had a rear on a Toyota truck that was toed out 3/4 of an inch prior owner must have backed into a stump getting firewood tube was bent . I got the truck cheap cause he was chewing up rear tires

I don't know about that...I have pulled several different trailers thousands of miles with the small diameter rims with no issues. Often I have owned trailers for 15+ years and sold them with the original tires...there is definitely an issue with this trailer.
Tires vs rims. His tires are probably 16" tall on an 8" rim with about a 550lb total weight (pet tire) capacity including axle, trailer and payload.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

That's a very good point.
You can get Load range C 4.80 X 8, 6 ply rated to carry 750 lbs each at 90 psi. (65 mph)
And at 90psi those things are going to wear fast

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back