Uneven wear on trailer tires

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 18.5x8.5x8” on my single snowmobile trailer. C rated Carlisle trailer tires with max pressure at 50psi but I run at 40 cause the weight is not there on the trailer. It’s usually just an ATV or a sled on it. On occasions I haul a boat on it too above the ATV.
Again, 60 mph has never been an issue.

Retired guy from SE Manitoba

Well guys, you nailed it.

Theres 1/2” toe-in at the front of the tire versus the back. Guess I’ll be putting in a new axle.

Luckily both sides have new bearings and bearing buddies as of early January so I just need to plop them on a new axle.

I only have about 200 bucks into this trailer so even with a new axle it’s still a lot cheaper than what new trailers are selling for!

Yeah, that’s a LOT of toe for such a short tire.

I have another new tire plus a good used one on rims so don’t need to buy any more for now. I looked it up and a new axle is 69 bucks at northern tool. So just need to buy u-bolts and I’m good to go. Just need to verify my current bearings are 1 1/16th as that’s what the new axle is. Side note-why are axles made in 1, 1 1/16, 1 1-8, and 1 1/4?? They could simplify and go to just 1 for light duty or 1 1/4 for medium!!

Yeah, that’s a LOT of toe fur such a short tire.

I have another new tire plus a good used one on rims so don’t need to buy any more for now. I looked it up and a new axle is 69 bucks at northern tool. So just need to buy u-bolts and I’m good to go. Just need to verify my current bearings are 1 1/16th as that’s what the new axle is. Side note-why are axles made in 1, 1 1/16, 1 1-8, and 1 1/4?? They could simplify and go to just 1 for light duty or 1 1/4 for medium!!

Same reason they all went to 5 bolt hubs. Years ago I had a dual axle snowmobile trailer and blew a hub way up north. Do you think I could find the right size 4 bolt? Not a chance. Finally got one and went back up north to pick my trailer up two months later. Sold that trailer now all 4 of my trailers have 5 bolt hubs.

Sell the trailer as is, and move on.
Sold that trailer now all 4 of my trailers have 5 bolt hubs.
:drinkingcoffee:
svk: I'm a problem solver too, with some things. It's a toss up.
Often it has saved me money, and often it has cost me money.
I've bought specialty tools I'll never use again.
And some I still don't know how to use...like a volt meter, other than conductivity, but a light bulb does that.
There is the enjoyment factor figuring stuff out.
There's an enjoyment factor moving on too.
The internet and lots of good ideas sure has changed things for the better.

Trust me I’ve thought about selling it with the disclosure that it eats tires. I’m sure I could get my investment out of it. But then I’d be back to square 1, looking for a small trailer.

Same reason they all went to 5 bolt hubs. Years ago I had a dual axle snowmobile trailer and blew a hub way up north. Do you think I could find the right size 4 bolt? Not a chance. Finally got one and went back up north to pick my trailer up two months later. Sold that trailer now all 4 of my trailers have 5 bolt hubs.

Last fall I got a great deal on a boat, motor, and trailer. 5 hole hubs. Came with a spare tire and I scrounged another spare tire from a sale for $10.

Just acquired another larger boat and trailer. Same size tires but 4 hole lugs. Doh!!!

Latest posts

Back