Unique Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackCoffin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Started milling 1 of 3 maple logs from a tree recently taken down. Opened it up to find grey color inside which was a first for me! I’m sure there’s a name for it, but just adds a little more character to the wood. The base was starting to rot and the center was gone so not sure if that rot was effecting the tree up farther or not? It’s about 80 years old doing a quick count. Anyway thought I’d share!A5070FD9-439C-4CE9-AA5E-0CC33C0E1028.jpeg2B4630B8-41A6-4AEF-8B17-641C945696D8.jpeg993EABC7-F6B6-4178-8D14-0B31E96EFC6D.jpegBBB355C3-6176-4EB2-B772-9C0E355B8180.jpeg

I figured it was some type of spalting, but the usual spalt I’ve seen are the brown/tan discoloration and the black lines going through the grain. Most of those Spalted ones I speak of are the short and fat stumps, this tree was tall and narrow 32” on the stump. It was growing next to cedar and fir fighting for light. Not sure if this changed the spalting process at all or not. Trees are cool how all those variables can make a difference over decades of growth.

I don't think I'd refer to that as spalted maple, that traditionally has dark lines along the growth rings. At first I thought it could be stain from metal, but that usually is more isolated and you didn't say you found any metal in the log.

How long were the logs sitting before being milled?

It looks like it could be Blue Stain, caused by a fungus which affects Pine and Maple. Here's a like describing Blue Stain:
https://northernwoodlands.org/articles/article/blue_stain_fungi
Blue stain doesn't affect the structure of the wood, but does diminish the value of lumber as most want their maple pure white.

I don't think I'd refer to that as spalted maple, that traditionally has dark lines along the growth rings. At first I thought it could be stain from metal, but that usually is more isolated and you didn't say you found any metal in the log.

How long were the logs sitting before being milled?

It looks like it could be Blue Stain, caused by a fungus which affects Pine and Maple. Here's a like describing Blue Stain:
https://northernwoodlands.org/articles/article/blue_stain_fungi
Blue stain doesn't affect the structure of the wood, but does diminish the value of lumber as most want their maple pure white.
Agree 100% on blue stain, seen it in southern yellow pine a million times. I think spalting is caused more by bacteria eating the sugar within the maple tree, always seems to have a line of advance.

Blue stain it is then! I thought of blue pine wood after I opened it up. The logs were on the ground for about a month and a half before they were cut. I’ve left logs standing over a year and the spalting process had started which was fun to play with. Maple will start going south quickly though so I’d rather not play the fine line and get them cut sooner.

Started in the second log and biggest one, going to continue the theme as the previous one but have more character.FAF0AF58-3A94-481D-8729-24DB122A9079.jpegDE02E1F5-28A6-4BD8-BABF-9FEAE612E8A4.jpeg0A946BBF-7722-4A74-B5BB-5A5B60251029.jpeg

Back