Unusual Pictures Of The Stihl 090 070 and Contra

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool plate. Here's another one.
Gypo

StihlPlate2.jpg

StihlPlate.jpg

"Father of the chainsaw" is of course a marketing lie, as before they started their own companies both Andreas Stihl and the founder of Dolmar (Lerp) worked for the same company, that manufactured chainsaws., along with other stuff.

Who first made a chainsaw does of course depend on how you define a chainsaw - and both Stihl and Dolmar created definations that made each of them "first". The truth is that it happened much earlier, but how early again is a matter of how you define it...

"Father of the chainsaw" is of course a marketing lie, as before they started their own companies both Andreas Stihl and the founder of Dolmar (Lerp) worked for the same company, that manufactured chainsaws., along with other stuff.

Who first made a chainsaw does of course depend on how you define a chainsaw - and both Stihl and Dolmar created definations that made each of them "first". The truth is that it happened much earlier, but how early again is a matter of how you define it...
It doesn't say he made the first chainsaw in the world. Many different ways to take that.

Not only that, but I was under the impression that the Pioneer HA was the first direct-drive saw? At any rate I have an RA from 1957 that is direct drive and predates the Contra.
It doesn't say he made the first chainsaw in the world. Many different ways to take that.

I agree that expression doesn't necessarily, but Stihls marketing still says they did. That is true, but only if you use their own definition of what a chainsaw is. Others use other definitions, like Dolmar - but if you look closer into the matter (I once did, and it has been extensively discussed in the past) neither Stihl nor Dolmar even is on the list of candidates - it happened much earlier than the late 1920s.

Trouble is that there really is no universal definition, so there is no "final answer".

That's a good exemple of what you need a gear drive for! :lol:

Interestingly the Contra GS is 137cc, while the 090G shares the 106cc top end with the 070, so the 090 designation really is misleading.
I prefer gear drives over any direct drive saw I own. There so fast that the chain doesn't even look like it's moving sometimes! Just a guess but I'm assuming you really don't like stihl do you?

One of my customers used to work for itt rayonier when he was younger,they started him with big macculluchs then before they put the 090 into final production he got to run them for testing ,he broke the handle off the first one they gave him the second day ,the next one held up he said.

That's a good exemple of what you need a gear drive for! :lol:

Interestingly the Contra GS is 137cc, while the 090G shares the 106cc top end with the 070, so the 090 designation really is misleading.
No different then a Ford f-250 several engine sizes to choose from but it's still a f-250 they just pull different.

I prefer gear drives over any direct drive saw I own. There so fast that the chain doesn't even look like it's moving sometimes! Just a guess but I'm assuming you really don't like stihl do you?

I like many Stihl models. However, there is no point with gear drive saws unless the powerhead is way to small for the wood and bar. In every other situation it just slows the cutting down. Gear drives are highly specialized items that are ill suited to what most people do most of the time - using them (when they aren't really needed) can be compared to driving a car in the lowest gears on the highway.

No different then a Ford f-250 several engine sizes to choose from but it's still a f-250 they just pull different.

Still, the 090G logically should have been called 070G, as the main difference between an 070 and an 090 is the engine size. This is of course merely of "academic" interest today, it is like it is.....

I like many Stihl models. However, there is no point with gear drive saws unless the powerhead is way to small for the wood and bar. In every other situation it just slows the cutting down. Gear drives are highly specialized items that are ill suited to what most people do most of the time - using them can be compared to driving a car in the lowest gears on the highway.

To a point.

Remember back in the gear drive days they had big 1/2 and 9/16 chain to work with. I have some gear drives that combined with a good 1/2" chain that are not really slow.

I have 2 mid sized gear drives here, one with .404 and one with 1/2", there is a world of difference between them.

That said, I was at a GTG once and a guy was there with a big bar 090G that he was proud of. I watched that saw being run on a decent sized log and it was painfull to watch. It was pitiful to see how underpowered that thing was..

Back