Unusual Pictures Of The Stihl 090 070 and Contra

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fi
I like many Stihl models. However, there is no point with gear drive saws unless the powerhead is way to small for the wood and bar. In every other situation it just slows the cutting down. Gear drives are highly specialized items that are ill suited to what most people do most of the time - using them (when they aren't really needed) can be compared to driving a car in the lowest gears on the highway.
finally,the voice of reason re gear drives

To a point.

Remember back in the gear drive days they had big 1/2 and 9/16 chain to work with. I have some gear drives that combined with a good 1/2" chain that are not really slow.

I have 2 mid sized gear drives here, one with .404 and one with 1/2", there is a world of difference between them.

That said, I was at a GTG once and a guy was there with a big bar 090G that he was proud of. I watched that saw being run on a decent sized log and it was painfull to watch. It was pitiful to see how underpowered that thing was..
I'm pretty sure my 3100 Homie would beat my 125 or 797 running .404 in 48" wood. However that is, and only is, with the 3100 running 1/2" square chisel (not chipper) chain. And my 137cc 090g IS something to be proud of when running a 96" bar buried in a giant Sequoia. Hang on for the ride with those big gear drives as they are a different beast. Chain setup makes all the difference, the old timers knew that.

Latest posts

Back