Unusual Pictures Of The Stihl 090 070 and Contra

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take a seat. :D

Damn, that makes my 11 foot bar feel totally miniscule, though I am only running one Titan ER for the power head. And I'm guessing that takes 3 - 4 men to lift knowing what a bare 11 foot bar feels like, not to mention that half a 100 foot reel of 3/4 chain and two big powerheads.

They look very different to me, not taken at the same time or place but nice picts just the same, gotta like those Contras!!...:):)

just realized they are different, guess my eyes are going bad lol
here's a cool story from a friend of mine
my friend whose dad couldnt afford a saw back in the 70's
during the logging boom had to trade his family jewelry at local pawnshop
to get his 1st contra, he started logging with his contra
he bought back all his jewelry and paid for his house
the saw had gone through 2 top ends and some other parts
still running today, just not that often though

just realized they are different, guess my eyes are going bad lol
here's a cool story from a friend of mine
my friend whose dad couldnt afford a saw back in the 70's
during the logging boom had to trade his family jewelry at local pawnshop
to get his 1st contra, he started logging with his contra
he bought back all his jewelry and paid for his house
the saw had gone through 2 top ends and some other parts
still running today, just not that often though

They can take a lot of running/hours if kept properly tuned and the usual maintenance for saws of that time. They did vibrate quite bad and the solid mount handles sure didn`t help with white finger, the later AV saws were a big improvement.

They can take a lot of running/hours if kept properly tuned and the usual maintenance for saws of that time. They did vibrate quite bad and the solid mount handles sure didn`t help with white finger, the later AV saws were a big improvement.

yes they are very well built saw
my dealer said the earlier models with lighter weight cranks were vibrating alot more and are prone to breakdown
when they tested with the weight welded crank it improved longevity and reduced vibration by quite abit. according to him

Maybe palm oil. Sure speeks volumes for the 090. I wonder how long a 3120 would last them? Probably about 15 minutes. Lol

207-171-teak-togo-chainsaw-751967.jpg
Probably exactly as long as an 880 considering when all three were designed

Virgin forest probably 20~30% , they have moved on to Papua New Guinea.
Apparently the new logging haven, but personally i don't think the forest in South East Asia+Africa+Amazon is enough to support earth.
The rate tree's are being logged is really worrying, and forestry management is non-existent i would say in 3rd world country.

If you are talking about felling techniques, saw control and etc i reckon you guys are definitely ahead.
These people have evolved to handle heavy saws, rough terrain and free-hand milling, i'll give them that.

Exactly totally agree with you on that, they don't replant like you guys do.
Clear-cut forest becomes plantation/agricultural land, hardly any second growth forest.
Besides rain forest tree doesn't really recover like Cedar, Redwood, Spruce or any other species you guys have on the other end.
Wait till other invasive useless species enters the forest and you have forest of crappy good for nothing trees few years down the road :(View attachment 387600
I think the free-hand milling is very cool indeed. I think they are smart for their affinity for Duromatic bars because I have had a lot of times when noodling where the bars get clogged. I have a Duromatic on order for my 261 because of this. I will also be cutting a bunch of dirty wood in a couple of months so me and my dad can get to an old barn we will be tearing down.

Good luck on the free hand milling. Let us know how the 261 works out for that, as I’m curious if a 50cc saw like that is up for the task. Standard milling I run a 395XP clone for anything over 14”. Never used anything smaller than my 590 for milling and frankly I don’t want to for fear of burning it up

Back