Unusual (to me) All Metal Hatchet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suwanneetrader

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Bought this Take-apart all steel hatchet at yard sale today. I can find no markings but may be under black paint (old guy had many of his tools painted black). I'm not being disrespectful as I'm going on 81 so OK to call another old. Ha Ha :)
What Company made this and approx when? Also as I'm going to trade it (if I can) for US Medal esp any USMC what is approx value. Thank you. PS -- My youngest daughter has worked for The Florida Forestry Dept since she graduated Forestry from Univ. of Florida 14 years ago. Thanks for the info or a trade Richard

P1010001 - Copy.JPG P1010002 - Copy.JPG P1010003 - Copy.JPG P1010004 - Copy.JPG P1010005 - Copy.JPG

Hey Richard, cool hatchet. I can't help you with identifying it, but I can say welcome aboard and you are doing it right. I'm not sure about the email notifications. That's a setting you can turn on or off.

You might want to try the axe restoration thread. There are some pretty knowledgeable people on there. Welcome aboard!

Thank you Really nice that someone answered. Any Forestry, Nursery or other item related to this web site and those topics on here I will be sure to post. I did not move it to that suggested topic as not sure how to do it. Richard

Try clicking on new posts. Scroll down to the axe restoration thread and click on it. You will have to retype your introduction and download your pics again . There may be an easier way, but I don’t know it.

I forgot to post that I traded this Only got a $5. or $6. value but more like $15. when no markings or RR history. is approx real value.

I have what I think is the same hatchet. A kid that owes me some money brought it in and gave it to me. I have no idea what it is, is it worth anything? Why, at least on mine one side is flat? I will try the site suggested and see if there is anything there. Kind of a funny made hatchet.

Brian
IMG_0307.JPG IMG_0308.JPG IMG_0309.JPG IMG_0310.JPG

Brian, yours is a hewing hatchet. Think of it like a small broad axe. Anybody making things from green wood should have one. I have a few that are very similar to yours.

For example, a chairmaker might split a piece of wood, then trim the parts with a hewing hatchet, then finish them with a draw knife or spokeshave.

Link: How a Woodworker Uses a Hatchet

The hatchet at the top of this thread is not the same: it has a bevel on both sides, and a nail-pulling notch, and a poll that looks like it would be OK for driving nails. It may have been intended for general purpose shingling (e.g. cedar shakes) and/or lathing (for plaster and lath walls), or it may have had a more specific purpose.

You will find a lot of vintage hatchets on ebay, and searches for hewing hatchet, shingling hatchet, lathing hatchet, etc. will let you see some examples.

As with any vintage tool, value comes down to condition, including makers and owners markings, originality and how bad some collector wants it.

Back