Update from the tree work newbie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dichrixon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all. I have an question for all tree workers both seasoned and green.

I started my journey into tree work back in February. I was in the automotive industry since I was a high school drop out (15 years or so).

Primarily I have been working on the bucket crew as a groundy. My hard work is proving to pay off. I have lost 35 lbs and I am in the best shape I have been in since I was 23 years old. (I am now 31) I am also growing as tree worker at a comfortable pace.

Recently I have been doing some of the climbing (pruning and dead wooding) as well as doing some of the light bucket work. (No rigging yet). I have also assumed the role of the paper jockey and customer relations person for my crew. Having been a mechanic for so long, I am also utilized for working on saws trucks and equipment.

Because of the extra responsibilities I take on and my work ethic it feels as if they are grooming me for and quite possibly rewarding me by sending me on prevailing wage jobs, and giving me lots of chances to learn to run equipment etc.

The questions I have is in regards to how to handle inter personal relationships among my crew. The core of my crew consists of 3 guys. A 15 year veteran of tree work who was one of the first 5 hires for my company, a 5 year veteran (allegedly) who has been with my company for a year and my self. Sometimes we have a fourth, or the 15 year veteran is swapped out for an inexperienced laborer type if we have a simple but labor intensive job.

The five year veteran and I lock horns quite regularly. Most times I submit and fall inline in an attempt to keep the peace and to recognize and acknowledge that he is the more experienced of us. Lately that has been getting harder to do.

With my experience level rising I am starting to have opinions about job procedures that make sense. Not only will he not entertain them he won't explain why they are not good ideas nor use them as a teachable moment. In fact he will deliberately do the opposite sometimes.

I have come to the conclusion that he either

A-lacks the leadership ability to run a crew when the 15 year vet is not around.

B- Can't accept the fact that a newbie like me may have a good idea or two.

C- He resents the fact that I have been given some extra perks on the job.

D- something else I havent thought of.

Every time he runs a job there is some sort of mishap. No matter how miniscule something happens. The reason it's getting hard for me to let this stuff roll of my back is I feel when a customer complains of a poor job or damage to property it is a reflection on the whole crew we are a team. He has the attitude (this is tree work, it's dangerous and unpredictable) and he uses that as a reason for the **** ups. Or he blames it on the fact he has in experienced guys.

How do I handle this guys?

You need the veteran to have your back on things. If he likes what you're doing the five year guy's opinion shouldn't matter. He does have seniority over you so you should do as he says ( as long as it isn't gonna get anyone or anything hurt) but do voice your opinion on it. The five year guy has an issue if he blames the crew for unhappy customers. I'm the foreman and lead climber for my crew and any mistakes or complaints I take responsibility for. I'm also open to ideas from my guys and we work up a plan for the job that we all feel good about. If something doesn't work out though I accept blame but we all analyze what went wrong and how to avoid it in the future.
I guess I'm saying put up with him when you have to and just make sure someone else hears when you object to what he thinks is right

Likely as not the 5 year veteran may have 5 years of treading water but very little learning or actual application of knowledge gained. Some people earn faster and are better able (and willing) to learn and improve themselves. Lastly some people are leaders and some aren't. The ones who aren't tend to get pissy when someone younger and less experienced comes in and shows them up. As long as you handle it as respectfully and tactfully as you can (safety concerns take immediate precedence over tact, obviously). See what happens. If it gets too bad have a talk with the owner. Sometimes a frank, honest discussion is the best thing (IF the owner actually truly trusts you and values you).

Thanks for for the input guys. It's all sound advice. After sleeping on it I have come up with another reason he may be the way he is towards me.-

Some thing I have learned over the years is to hold onto the good advice you are given but forget the rest. Well it didn't take me long to realize the kind of work this guy puts out and it was probably obvious that at some point I stopped trusting him. I am sure he felt/feels slighted in some way. I just can't go against my work values to keep the peace anymore.

Venting feels good.

Thanks again :)

The customer should always be #1. Happy customers lead to job referrals and repeat business.
And damage to the property should not happen very often. That's the reason people hire tree crews, to SAFLEY dismantle trees.
Sometimes accidents do happen, everyone knows that, but if its consistently happening, something's wrong.

Sounds like this 5 year vet dude is just lazy, and honestly making your company look bad. Not a very good asset if you ask me..

He probably feels threatened by the fact that someone less senior than him might be working at the same technical level. He's probably pulling the seniority card to keep you at bay. He's likely not using any teachable moments because it keeps you distanced from himself (skill wise). He sounds like an asshat that doesn't want to help you develop.

Back