upgrade husqvarrna 61 to a 268? can it be done

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtoolsnewproblems

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I have a 266se thats my favorite saw, a poulan 42cc of some kind that hits above its weight class. I also have 3 saws I bought for spare parts/the longer bars that were on them, since my 266 only had an 15 when i got it. I got a 266 for parts, although it runs its got a COMPLETELY pulled out exhaust stud, so i bought it for parts at a fair price. I did steal the trigger lock and and better trim off it but it is complete. A while back I got a 52mm cyl/piston kit to rebuild the saw, but i discovered it already has 155psi cold compression, so its still on the shelf with just the trim stolen of it. The 61 is a complete unknown. I know its not much of a saw so I wonder if I could drop the "268" cyl on it? I don't want to use the cyl kit on the spare 266 because it still has fine compression, and I later realized the intake is different, so i would need a carb and intake block thingy to upgrade the saw. If i need to replace all that stuff, why not just upgrade the 61 instead. however I have no idea if it will fit, short of taking it apart, but I'm lazy and got 5 cords to buck an split, so don't want to waste the time right now.

related question, where can i find a vintage manual for the 61? since they still make em, I can only find info for the new saw, not my presumably older one.

ok so the 268 is a whole different bag of worms? sounds like I'll just demote it to parts saw if a seal kit isn't all it needs to come back to life.

I am pretty sure it can be done- but you need to throw away the small 61 carb and replace that with a 272 carb, go through all the rigmarole of intake bits and pieces changeover and then you still might discover the top cover no longer fits and fouls on the plug cap with the new cylinder in place.
If you search this forum for 61 to 268 it is bound to come up with some useful information on the subject from a lot of folk way more talented than I and ones that have actually done the conversion!

To directly answer the original question ........yes....

BUT......there are many possibilities as well as many unexpected pitfalls and workarounds when working in this very extended family of saws. Just about every possible combination of parts has been discussed over the years on this site. Just have to search and perhaps search again to find the info you need.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PVG4MGC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_IXoaGbGQZ4K0Y?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1This is the kit I bought ages ago, thinking it was a 272, and I saw all over the forum that they "just fit" not realizing I'd need a new intake. No big deal cutting the top cover, at least one saw needs to look like a crazy mod, they can't all be sleepers.

Not just the intake though- to get the proper kind of performance out of the 268 cylinder- the original 61 carb is never going to flow enough fuel through the new intake mount.

oh yeah for sure. turns out both my 266s used the bigger 224 carb with its 17.5mm venturi, so i hope thats big enough, because it means i have enough carbs for 2 saws, but i still need the intake block thingy. does anyone know if it uses the same bolt pattern as my existing carb, or do i still need to source a new carb.

finally running my OTHER 266se for the first time after my repeatedly failed rebuild makes me hungry for another good "real" saw. the 42cc poulan is nice, but 66cc cuts circles around it, even if they are 40 years old. although my arms are tired, i cut twice as much wood today as I did all last weekend.

The early 266 used the 163a carb the same as the 162.I have two 266s one with 163a and the other224.I can not tell any difference in performance even thou the 163 is a smaller saw.Great saws one of the best saw packages ever.
Kash

Back