Upgrade Stihl MS362 to a 462??? You guys called it years ago!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nch209

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So a while back I was on the hunt to upgrade my ms290. The dilemma, a 261 or 362. Carb or mtronic. Ended up with a 362 carb version two on a 20" dummy bar, and upgraded to a couple loops of yellow rm chain. Actually had good luck with the dummy chain, but then again, I'm pretty green. Lol

Well, unfortunately, I'm fighting some nasty pine beetle infestation, and now pondering a 462. Falling bigger diameter stuff, and more power would be more better. Anyone been down this road, and if a similar upgrade was made, are you happy with the outcome? Honestly, seems like a mixed bag of reviews on the 362, but I've had good luck with mine... but could stand some more umph. Truth be told, I may have taken a bit much off my rakers resulting it it biting more than it could handle, but in my mind is a new 462, and sell the 362. Might try a new loop of chain to see if I created my problem, or perhaps I've just been bitten by the proverbial chainsaw bug! I imagine just a bit off the rakers will require a lot more power to pull the chain- is this fair to say???

A guy in my 362 post called it- just a matter of time before I want to upgrade, and another guy said to go with a 70cc saw right off the bat. They are both right, but at the time, the 362 was the right call due to my experience level, but now....... well.... what to do, what to do! Lol

Exactly. My one saw plan has worked ok so far, but what you suggested has been on my mind and would be ideal. Gonna take my time and make a good choice... just want to research more... but thinking buy a 462 and sell the 362... then hunt for a smaller saw would be a solid plan...

This forum is great... but can see it draining the wallet as well! Lol

May try a 462 and a smaller saw for smaller parts of the job. Maybe a 261 or a 201. The 201 has the weight of a ms170 and cuts in small stuff like crazy. A ms200 would be great too if it could be had.

Agreed. 260/1 would be nice but ii really like my top handle for any trimming.
201t over a 200t imo. The price difference isn’t worth it for me. My used well running 201 i got on here for 275. Try to get a 200 for close to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently chose a 362 over a 462 because I felt a 462 was going to be over my personal line for what I could see using as my general purpose saw. I then added a 201c-em (the rear-handled 201) for small cutting.

I second guess myself sometimes on whether going 362 was correct.

But, then again, I find myself reaching for the 201 over the 362 more and more, anyway.

I'm coming to realize I'll pick light weight and comfort over power most of the time.

Now, all that said, there's no wrong answer here. Will the 462 do something for you that the 362 absolutely can't? Do you just want a new saw? Those are all perfectly good reasons to buy the saw you want. Or, buy as many saws as you want!

Personally, I found the money I didn't spend on getting the 462 was better served in adding a small saw to the toolkit - I needed a featherweight option more than 3 additional inches of cut capacity (if you go by Stihl's recommended bar lengths).

If additional cutting capacity is what you need, and you're only wanting one saw, do some reading on the MS500i that is coming soon before you go for a 462, or you may find yourself in this same spot all over again once the 500i is available.

Thanks for all of the replies. A quick gander at the "For Sale" section here is all it took for me... saw a new standard 462. Without hesitation, I contacted the seller who had promptly sold it. It allowed me pause to feel bummed, and when the seller offered to source me another with a bit of delay, I jumped at the chance. So in short, I will have a carb 462 coming soon, and will then be selling my 362. For what I do, it should fit the bill quite nicely, and I will post pics once it hits the bench. Thanks for the info and help within my posts--- lots of good info to be had.

If you gots money burning a hole in your pocket, then jump on the 462. It is still in its first year of sales, and any inherent defects or weaknesses are still lurking (or not). The 362 will pull a 25" bar, so it is nothing to call a wimp.

IMO, falling trees larger then the bar length is responsible for some awful hinges, but the trees do fall where I want them (maybe just lucky). Unless you are doing a lot of falling of trees with a dia >25" the 362 ought to be plenty. I run a 24" bar on my 461, and very rarely use the 32", unless I am falling something that or larger. When the giant is fallen, by me or someone else the 24" bar is about perfect even if I can't see the tip of the bar out the other end. The 32" bar is a heavy and awkward length, where I can't maneuver it with just my arms, but have to take a step in or out. YMMV.

An awful lot of big trees are fallen by pros using 60cc saws.
Especially in a wood like pine, you can easily pull even a 25” full skip with your 362 for felling.
The removal guy I work with uses 362’s for their big stuff (firs, western maple, hemlock etc).
They have one old 084 with a 48” for stumping... tge rest is Tophandles and the 362’s for groundies and big cuts.
Not saying a 462 is not better just....You have a great saw.

I was fortunate enough to get a very fair deal on the 462, and the added power is worth the added cost. I'll be running full comp on a 25" bar, and perhaps even a 20" at times depending if I sell my 362 with or without the bar. I'm pretty happy with my decision, and my 462 has not even landed yet. :)

The way I look at it, this is a similar decision as when I upgraded my 290. Probably could have gotten by without the 362--- ran skip chain and a bigger bar or modded the saw, or hired out the big stuff, but after I upgraded I never looked back. Don't think this will be as drastic of a change, but don't think I'll be going back this time either. When I was pondering this, my dealer said he could not source a carb model of the saw, so for a few hundred less via the forum for what I had my mind on, well that sealed the deal.

Thanks for all of the opinions. I'll do an update once the saw lands from across the pond.

Congrats!

In that case ( you already bought it) .... Skip over the 25" and get a lightweight 28".
It seem like 28" is the sweetspot for 70cc saws.
I put one on my MMWS441 and,.. I have been pleasantly surprised how many times I just do see the tip of the bar peeking through the back side of a hinge after plunging through..... A 25" would still have been buried sending me to the other side of the tree to finish the cut.
Cost is not much different between 25 and 28 and if you go with a Tsumara or other lightweight.. a 28" weights about the same as a 20" Stihl Rollmatic.

Thanks for the tip on bars. I was actually debating that very thing, but felt pause to ask as I'm still sifting through old posts to find the answer. I had my mind set on 25 as it's as much as I truly need 90% of the time, but I respect your opinion and will further think about how to proceed.

One thing I will NOT ask is a gas and oil question. That topic is nearly endless on all forums, and I have the perfect blend... I'd hate to share it and stop all of the fun arguing!!!! Lol! B

Well to wrap up the thread, a brand spankin' new MS462 is on the bench. I listed the 362 on here PHO, and a coworked saw me listing it, and said he would take it w/ bar and a few loops of chain, so it sold in a flash. I opted to go with a cheap-o Stihl 20" E bar with some RM (semi chisel) chain for dirty cutting and stump work, and a Stihl 25" Light bar with RS (full chisel) chain for regular all around duties. I used the E bar on the 362 with semi chisel chain and always liked it, and am trying the full chisel just 'cause it came as a package deal with the light bar.

So how do I like the 462? Well that's the thing... it is still sitting on the bench. I tweaked my back and been taking things slow and light... Not sure what is worse, the back pain, or not being able to get out and test this pumpkin! LOL!

If you’re not gonna use a 28” or bigger bar I would stick with the 362. Even with a 25” and sharp chain it should rip through pine.

Well, I politely disagree. I ran full comp 20 in pine, and would not want any more bar. Buried, it its all it wanted IMO. I got slightly aggressive on the rakers and it was not too happy. So far, I have only started my 462, but it has put a big grin on my face. Slightly more weight that a 362, but dont think I will be looking back, let alone going back. lol! 362 was a good saw, but I have high expectations for the 462!

Back