ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Upgrade Stihl MS362 to a 462??? You guys called it years ago!

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by nch209, Jul 13, 2019 at 8:33 PM.

1. nch209

nch209 ArboristSite Lurker

So a while back I was on the hunt to upgrade my ms290. The dilemma, a 261 or 362. Carb or mtronic. Ended up with a 362 carb version two on a 20" dummy bar, and upgraded to a couple loops of yellow rm chain. Actually had good luck with the dummy chain, but then again, I'm pretty green. Lol

Well, unfortunately, I'm fighting some nasty pine beetle infestation, and now pondering a 462. Falling bigger diameter stuff, and more power would be more better. Anyone been down this road, and if a similar upgrade was made, are you happy with the outcome? Honestly, seems like a mixed bag of reviews on the 362, but I've had good luck with mine... but could stand some more umph. Truth be told, I may have taken a bit much off my rakers resulting it it biting more than it could handle, but in my mind is a new 462, and sell the 362. Might try a new loop of chain to see if I created my problem, or perhaps I've just been bitten by the proverbial chainsaw bug! I imagine just a bit off the rakers will require a lot more power to pull the chain- is this fair to say???

A guy in my 362 post called it- just a matter of time before I want to upgrade, and another guy said to go with a 70cc saw right off the bat. They are both right, but at the time, the 362 was the right call due to my experience level, but now....... well.... what to do, what to do! Lol

TXScout, farmer steve and hseII like this.
  2. Nathan Graff

Nathan Graff ArboristSite Operative

May try a 462 and a smaller saw for smaller parts of the job. Maybe a 261 or a 201. The 201 has the weight of a ms170 and cuts in small stuff like crazy. A ms200 would be great too if it could be had.

farmer steve and nch209 like this.
  3. nch209

nch209 ArboristSite Lurker

Exactly. My one saw plan has worked ok so far, but what you suggested has been on my mind and would be ideal. Gonna take my time and make a good choice... just want to research more... but thinking buy a 462 and sell the 362... then hunt for a smaller saw would be a solid plan...

This forum is great... but can see it draining the wallet as well! Lol

farmer steve likes this.
  4. berrnard

berrnard ArboristSite Operative

Agreed. 260/1 would be nice but ii really like my top handle for any trimming.
    201t over a 200t imo. The price difference isn’t worth it for me. My used well running 201 i got on here for 275. Try to get a 200 for close to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ShneaSIG

ShneaSIG ArboristSite Member

I recently chose a 362 over a 462 because I felt a 462 was going to be over my personal line for what I could see using as my general purpose saw. I then added a 201c-em (the rear-handled 201) for small cutting.

I second guess myself sometimes on whether going 362 was correct.

But, then again, I find myself reaching for the 201 over the 362 more and more, anyway.

I'm coming to realize I'll pick light weight and comfort over power most of the time.

Now, all that said, there's no wrong answer here. Will the 462 do something for you that the 362 absolutely can't? Do you just want a new saw? Those are all perfectly good reasons to buy the saw you want. Or, buy as many saws as you want!

Personally, I found the money I didn't spend on getting the 462 was better served in adding a small saw to the toolkit - I needed a featherweight option more than 3 additional inches of cut capacity (if you go by Stihl's recommended bar lengths).

If additional cutting capacity is what you need, and you're only wanting one saw, do some reading on the MS500i that is coming soon before you go for a 462, or you may find yourself in this same spot all over again once the 500i is available.

farmer steve likes this.
  6. farmer steve

farmer steve outstanding in my field, 5150

@nch209 . keep the 362 and buy a 461 or 462. :) you should be able to find a "yellow chain" for your 362.