Upgrade suggestion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately in my Motocross days, i had a buddy that did all the engine work for me, i did all the suspension, brake, frame, etc. work. Never had much experience in working on engines besides an old Traxxas Nitro 4x4 R/C truck. With the stuff i work on now-a-days, 14' Cincinnati shears and brake presses, 700 ton hydraulic die presses, etc. i'm sure i could figure out a single cylinder motor if i had to... and i'm sure that time will come eventually.

Rustler, stampede or tmaxx? Or nitro sport?

Yeah, TMaxx. Full aftermarket build, aluminum skeletonized milled frame plates, a-arms, hydraulic suspension, muffler, servo motors, everything besides the stock engine, LOL. Did some minor polishing on the intake and exhaust side of cylinder, but nothing else. Miss judged my ramp at WOT, launched over my GMC Envoy and right into a huge Oak! No more TMaxx...

Yeah, TMaxx. Full aftermarket build, aluminum skeletonized milled frame plates, a-arms, hydraulic suspension, muffler, servo motors, everything besides the stock engine, LOL. Did some minor polishing on the intake and exhaust side of cylinder, but nothing else. Miss judged my ramp at WOT, launched over my GMC Envoy and right into a huge Oak! No more TMaxx...

Electric has taken over these days.. The brushless emaxx is a ****in beast.

yeah i figured it would, and i'm and even worse electrician than i am an engine mechanic. LOL, just kidding.
I work on some electrical stuff from 110v-480 1ph and 3ph, but when it comes to PLC's... keep 'em away from me! To me Ladder Logic should be common sense, i need to lean my ladder at this angle so i don't fall backwards. Ladder Logic should not involve a laptop or engineering degree.

Give me channel locks, crescent wrench, hammer, duct tape and i'll fix it!

On another note, with my cs440 it felt weak until i dropper the stock 18" bar down a size to 16", is that a common situation with most saws, or is that an echo thing? But i also buck trees sometimes that i have to cut both sides, 24 - 30" diameter, and it seems fine, slower than my dads Husky, but it does the job.

@ OP I have an echo cs 440 also and while it oils the 18" bar great, its a little much for a 45cc saw if you are burying the bar in wood constantly, not just an echo thing. If you need to use the full bar length constantly, I would just use a larger saw and save the wear and tear on the small one and use it for the limbing and smaller trees. Depending on yours Dads Husky model it might be a larger saw or just have more grunt, it really varies on saw model to model. The wood species and type of saw chain make a difference also.

My pro series 50cc Husqvarna 346xp handles the 18" bar pretty well, but even with it depending on the size of tree I might grab a 70cc or 60cc saw to save wear and tear, since I have the larger saws also.

For your new saw I would try to figure out what size of trees you typically cut for firewood. I have a Husqvarna 372xp that will cut anything that I encounter in my area, but trying to handle and split those pieces once they are cut is a different matter. I found that a strong 50cc to 60cc saw covers my needs with the exception of some monster oak, which I find as I get older I just take the manageable pieces and leave the rest to nature, or the nephews.

I have a Echo CS 590 and its been a great saw for me, so I'll 2nd the recommendation by Holy Cow. But there are many good saws out there that will fill your needs, but if you are leaning towards Stihl go by a dealer and see how they feel.

Btw I've been a poster since 2012, but due to password glitch I had start new.

Back