Upgrade to a bigger saw, MS500i or 390XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Holy Cow,
We don't get it too cold here but when it comes in hot if I looked like starting the saw the swat team would lock me up.
In fire season the saw sits inside and looks pretty.
I think you might be right with the new model syndrome.
I guess the 500i motor and electrics are somewhat proven in the cutoff saws though.
Cheers

Well I made some calls around today. Beyond the local dealers,
Husky 390XP, cant find one in any stores, is done for months at the earliest possibly christmas, no clear timeframe.
Stihl MS500i last remaining units in a couple of stores, after they are gone probably not expected to see shipment until late this year, three months minimum.
Sooooo, I pulled the trigger on the MS500i, 25" ES Light bar, 30" Standard Bar.
Seems like this covid crazy has stopped the boats and if I didn't grab one of these in stock units I would be done until late late this year at the earliest.
Was still sitting on the fence but the availability has steered me down the MS500i path.
Guess time will tell if this is a good choice, I don't mind saying I am a little nervous going down this newer electronics path.
Thanks for all the comments, hopefully my first stihl turns out OK
Cheers

Howdy All,
Currently have a Husky 365 and it is running out of puff on a 28"bar. Don't want to abuse her as she has been good to me.
Need to run a 28" or slightly better to get rid of some cypress and radiata pines, and also probably put a 24/25" on for redgum and stringybark for firewood.
We have Husky and Stihl dealers close by and not much else.
Perhaps the Stihl MS500i or the Husky 390XP might be the next step up and was after feedback and thoughts.
Don't think i need a 395XP, and after hanging onto a mates I think it would be more weight than I want to swing around all day.
Possibly a 661 but thinking if I was going electronic may as well go all in with the 500i and save some weight.
Would like to hear from the lucky souls who have possibly used either rigs.
Thanks from SE South Australia :)
I have a 390 xp and a ms 462, they'll do the same job and the 462 is lighter. Running 404 of course.
Cheers from SE NSW

Picked up the new MS500i and finally got it home.
Thought I would run 5 litres of Stihl synthetic at 32:1, then go to 40:1, PS this is not an oil thread, don't go there.
First thought on the 25" Light Bar was "where is the sprocket grease hole ? " seems Stihl forgot to put the sucker in there, might have to make my own.
Didn't put it on the scales but it certainly feels reasonably light and not much difference with the 365
Cold started without decompression in 2 pulls, seems to start very easily and doesn't kickback, very impressed with this.
As it idles straight up you don't need to blip the throttle so starting is a leisurely event.
Cutting a stringy bark log on the ground 12" to 24" with a full chisel chain, it destroyed the tree fairly quickly.
Seemed to pull away pretty well when you stopped inside the cut.
Occasionally the bark grabbed the chain and pulled it up, its thick stringy and it does that.
As it revved lightly loaded from time to time I think it hit the limiter and cut the fuel.
Seemed a little high speed flutter similar to an injected car but very quick, or I am going deaf one or other.
The shop that I bought the saw from had an additional pre-filter. It stretches over the factory filter and keeps the chips of. Seemed to work OK, factory stihl part.
Certainly not the filtration system that Husky have, but I am anal about cleaning filters anyway and wont be a problem.
Bought a spare filter and pre-filter and will rotate them in/out at the end of a days cutting.
Not sure how much chain lube oil was getting put on, wound it up full.
I usually give the chain a spin and make sure its painted a line on the log before I cut, tend to oil hard, oils cheap.
Couldn't get much on the log but it was on the guide rails for sure, I guess that is where you want it anyway. Redgum will tell if its getting enough.
Walking back to the house with the saw hanging at my side, my thoughts on the dogs were, wow they are sharp, as they tore a hole in my trousers.
So far so good, impressed with the starting and weight, not bad on vibration.

Don't drill a grease hole in the nose sprocket on a Stihl sealed bearing bar....just don't.
I just did a search on to grease or not to grease, wow there is a good topic to start a bar fight.
Won't touch the Stihl bars I have, and no extra hole.
I will continue to grease the Oregon bars on my Husky though.
Cheers CR888

Back