Upgrade to a bigger saw, MS500i or 390XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...for a 2saw plan I wouldn't go to something between 70-80 cc. I would definitely buy a 90cc saw, and since the MS661 is newer I would go with that and add a MAX FLOW filter on it !!!

Is it wrong to bring your MS500i into the house, sit it on the kitchen table and talk to it?
Trying to work out a box or someway to protect her from the rain and sliding around on the checker plate ute tray.
Seems Stihl or Husky only have toy boxes nothing for the bigger stuff in oz :-(

Now you have the 90% North American and Canadian members that just read that googling "ute" :dizzy: :laugh:
Make some kind of bolt on bar slot for the headboard of the flatdeck on the ute, so that you slide the saw in on say a 45 degree angle, some sort of tether through the rear handle to a headboard bar will stop it jumping out when you hit a red dust hole.
Rain....... in Aussie? :oops:

I put some old foam camping mat on the ute tray to stop the saws bouncing about, double it for the bigger saws, by the time all the rest of the stuff is in the back of the tray, they dont move much.

ah rain, wish it would, tho the rest of the family is hoping it will snow like it did up in the flinders today.

Now you have the 90% North American and Canadian members that just read that googling "ute" :dizzy: :laugh:
Make some kind of bolt on bar slot for the headboard of the flatdeck on the ute, so that you slide the saw in on say a 45 degree angle, some sort of tether through the rear handle to a headboard bar will stop it jumping out when you hit a red dust hole.
Rain....... in Aussie? :oops:
Normal rainfall down south here is 750mm/29", not going to get there this year, dry winter, no duck swamps here yet, unlikely to get a duck season next year.
found a plastic pelican style case about the right size, think i might be able to hack a hole in it for the bar, then it can be thrown up top of the load.

Bit bloody posh that is- your not British are you?, hiding down in the convict colony! :laugh:
I would still put a short rope or chain on one of the box handles to tether to the headboard- the box will help, but they don't bounce good them there expensive saws.
Not British, otherwise it would have been made from walnut and felt, matching the cased pair of Purdey's.
Will be able to tie it down pretty darn good, don't like to spend good money then to smash it up.

G'day Aussie farmer.
Interesting read about your new stihl 500i.
Before getting to the bit about where you bought the saw, I did a bit of research (because I'm looking at the same question as you = what saw to buy)
Tending towards the Huskys, they were first lookup. Easy to find specs on power, torque, rpm and weight (all the critical stuff) - all laid out straight and clear.
Looking at the 390 and the 395 saws, they run the same rpm (9600) but the 390 is 88cc and 4.7nm, and the 395 is 94cc and 5.9nm (20% more torque).

Cutting seasoned hardwood I want lower rpm with plenty of torque, so the 395 is the pick for the extra 600gram weight penalty.
Best saw ever for this was the old stihl 08s. - what a beast.

Then stihl.......... crikey... I didn't know they were an top secret C.I.A. classified organisation !
Lots of lovely sales evasion like "plenty of power and torque" (yeah - how much actually?) no reference anywhere to rpm, not even in reviews. Just lots of warm fuzzy talk by stihl funded "experts" saying "it's really good" ..............It might be "really good" - but the 1970's car salesman tactics ring alarm bells.

It will be interesting to hear your experiences with the 500i -
= does it really run a 3/8LP chain?
= how fast does it rev?
= how quick does the chain spin?
= how well does this setup work on dry redgum / ironbark.?

will follow your answers closely - thanks.

G'day Aussie farmer.
Interesting read about your new stihl 500i.
Before getting to the bit about where you bought the saw, I did a bit of research (because I'm looking at the same question as you = what saw to buy)
Tending towards the Huskys, they were first lookup. Easy to find specs on power, torque, rpm and weight (all the critical stuff) - all laid out straight and clear.
Looking at the 390 and the 395 saws, they run the same rpm (9600) but the 390 is 88cc and 4.7nm, and the 395 is 94cc and 5.9nm (20% more torque).

Cutting seasoned hardwood I want lower rpm with plenty of torque, so the 395 is the pick for the extra 600gram weight penalty.
Best saw ever for this was the old stihl 08s. - what a beast.

Then stihl.......... crikey... I didn't know they were an top secret C.I.A. classified organisation !
Lots of lovely sales evasion like "plenty of power and torque" (yeah - how much actually?) no reference anywhere to rpm, not even in reviews. Just lots of warm fuzzy talk by stihl funded "experts" saying "it's really good" ..............It might be "really good" - but the 1970's car salesman tactics ring alarm bells.

It will be interesting to hear your experiences with the 500i -
= does it really run a 3/8LP chain?
= how fast does it rev?
= how quick does the chain spin?
= how well does this setup work on dry redgum / ironbark.?

will follow your answers closely - thanks.
Sorry for the late reply, we are doing sheep work and haven't had time to investigate, will try answer most questions soon.

Great Idea for carrying saws, but I generally stack the wood up almost to the level of the cab roof.
If i was to mount a rack then I wouldn't be able to load/unload pallets .

Yeah, I had to keep it low enough to get them in and out with a couple of wore out shoulders.

As for saw boxes, I have a habit of wrapping mine up in a cheap yoga mat and a bungee, but I may make a felt lined walnut one just because.
Heck, my uncle was a professional wood carver for years working on custom elephant guns, I could have him carve the lid into something pretty I bet:)

Howdy All,
Currently have a Husky 365 and it is running out of puff on a 28"bar. Don't want to abuse her as she has been good to me.
Need to run a 28" or slightly better to get rid of some cypress and radiata pines, and also probably put a 24/25" on for redgum and stringybark for firewood.
We have Husky and Stihl dealers close by and not much else.
Perhaps the Stihl MS500i or the Husky 390XP might be the next step up and was after feedback and thoughts.
Don't think i need a 395XP, and after hanging onto a mates I think it would be more weight than I want to swing around all day.
Possibly a 661 but thinking if I was going electronic may as well go all in with the 500i and save some weight.
Would like to hear from the lucky souls who have possibly used either rigs.
Thanks from SE South Australia :)
Based on the torque curves, I think the MS500i might do better in the larger wood, but either will work. The Husky weighs a bit more.

Latest posts

Back