Upstart brand chain - Anyone used it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you have a link for that deal on Amazon? didn't see it when I looked
I couldn't find it either but I did find a Oregon Powermatch 20" large mount Husky bar in .050 for $44, bought one there a month or so ago for $55.
Edit: Just checked the Powermatch bar I previously bought was a 24"er which was a good buy.
https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-200RNDD009-Gauge-Pitch-Power/dp/B001BAJPQS/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=oregon+saw+chain+.050,+3/8th,+72dl&qid=1617740868&sr=8-14

I've used the 3/8 .50 72 dl full chisel for 3 year's
It's held up great for me
I've cut a lot with it.
I have 10 loops now
And the local firewood guy's had me order some for them bought about 30 loops.
But amazon has oregon on sale for 10.36 I believe
I'd go that route for that size chain.
I suppose it's posible I caught the ground with that chain during one of the noodle cuts (post #13). I tried to be careful, but it only takes one ground scrape to dull a chain. I'll sharpen this one up and also mount another new one on for Strike 2 and report back.

I suppose it's posible I caught the ground with that chain during one of the noodle cuts (post #13). I tried to be careful, but it only takes one ground scrape to dull a chain. I'll sharpen this one up and also mount another new one on for Strike 2 and report back.
It works great for what I do
Without risking a 20+ dollar 84dl chain
I put a 20" upstart that's the longest loop they sell.
on this 372 clone
And cut a metal infested yard oak.
1617752922512.png
I didn't hit any this time.

They went back up to regular price since this morning
I don't know what amazon's deal is.
Amazon likes to play games with scarcity, value, supply and demand. "If they won't buy it at $10., maybe they'll buy it at $20 because they'll think it's worth more."

camelcamelcamel is worth using for stuff you're in no hurry to buy. You'd be surprised how much Amazon prices fluctuate over time!

new.png

Here is a picture of the three samples I have. 3/8, .325, 3/8 lp. The .325 one splices with Stihl presets, have not resized any of the others. They all seem to work as expected for me. Comparing the 3/8lp one to 91vxl Oregon the top plate is thicker than the Oregon and hence the passage under the cutter is slightly smaller. I got the 18" 62 drive link bar plus 4 chains, it plunge cuts real easy at least before any sharpening. As expected the bar does not have much curve so the chain comes off pretty often if using it as a brush cutter in 1/2 inch diameter stuff. Over the course of the chain life it likely will need more material removed per sharpening than the Oregon equivalent . I have had the Oregon 91vxl for a while probably still the same now?upstart chain 3 varities.jpg

Amazon likes to play games with scarcity, value, supply and demand. "If they won't buy it at $10., maybe they'll buy it at $20 because they'll think it's worth more."

camelcamelcamel is worth using for stuff you're in no hurry to buy. You'd be surprised how much Amazon prices fluctuate over time!

new.png
Also, If you look at an item multiple times from the same device they’ll often jack the price 20 percent plus for THAT DEVICE ONLY...I’ve logged in through a different device and purchased at the previous price.

Also, If you look at an item multiple times from the same device they’ll often jack the price 20 percent plus for THAT DEVICE ONLY...I’ve logged in through a different device and purchased at the previous price.

Yeah, and it used to be the case that if you visited Amazon from a Mac (instead of a Windows machine) they automatically jacked up the prices because they assumed you had money to burn...I don't think they do that anymore.

i have been using the tallox brand chains for the last 4 months, looked at 8ten,upstart but i went with tallox and its worked really well...pretty sharp from the box and resharpens pretty well and holds its edge for 2 tanks if your careful but softer than stihl. their lp chain cuts more aggressive than any other brand i have used making smaller saws cut ferociously.. their .325 .063 full chisel is not as aggressive cutting as stihl's yellow chain but a little filing solves that, the 3/8 .050 full chisel cuts really nice sized chips out of the box but again the stihl version is just better sharpened from the factory and a hair harder steel so it improves with sharpening. I have found a odd smaller tooth here and there randomly on a loop out of a box of three chains but it dosent seem to affect the cutting capabilities. Their bar from the bar/chain combos is laminated and might last through the 3 chains it came with., its soft near the sprocket tip.

Ok I’m seeing 8Ten brand chain advertised like crazy now that I’m searching chain and bars. Anyone try this stuff?
Yes I like it IMG_20210406_184953.jpg
Ok I’m seeing 8Ten brand chain advertised like crazy now that I’m searching chain and bars. Anyone try this stuff?
Comes with a little sticker
1618316357125.png
8ten top
I've been running 84dl .50 for about a year
I like it
After initial stretch and a good handfile
It hold up great to hardwoods here.
8ten was 11.00 per 84dl if you bought 3.
I checked on a loop of 84dl stihl
37.11 before 6% tax locally

I suppose it's possible I caught the ground with that chain during one of the noodle cuts (post #13). I tried to be careful, but it only takes one ground scrape to dull a chain. I'll sharpen this one up and also mount another new one on for Strike 2 and report back.
Conclusion: Looks like that's what happened. I sharpened the same chain back up and it worked fine with my Husky 257. So, I must have rubbed the ground during Strike 1 and not realized it. Not much will dull a chain faster than that. The sharpened chain worked fine yesterday for both noodle cutting and buck cutting ash rounds. No complaints and sorry if I led anyone here astray. I hate it when I blunder like this. My college students would probably have poured a beer on my head.

I’ve been impressed with the 8ten .325 I got for my little Husky 445. The depth is set pretty aggressive and it seems to hold an edge. The 445 is mostly a brush/clearing saw for me. I’ve been cutting out an old fence line so it’s easy to mess up a chain real quick. The only thing is it heated up my bar real quick on the first chain I used.
I just got some archer 3/8 .050 full chisel. It also heated up the bar real fast to point I took it off , fired up the saw to make sure it was making oil.
W we hat is the deal when you come off Sthil chain to another brand it heats up the bar to the point of smoking at the tip. BTW, both cases was new chain and not too tight.

Back