Upstart brand chain - Anyone used it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 loops = 360 drive links. $50 / 360 < 14 cents a link + shipping. That's a pretty good bargain, about the same as a 100' reel of bulk Archer chain, but all the loops are made. (Edited today, bad business math yesterday. Sorry about that).

You do not have the search technique mastered.

Upstart seems to be a Stihl copy that uses the Oregon letter identifying code. and made in Husqvarna drive link sizes. One can get it at walmart.com or on eBay. There are loops only, 3/8 chisel, .325 semi chisel no bumper drive links, full size not NK. And semi chisel 3/8 lp that I have on the way.

Get some and we can discuss further. Seems quite acceptable. Whether the Stihl .325 pro NK for a lot more $ also on eBay will be a better choice overall is another matter.

Question also is, do you want to support that company with your legal tender.
If I can, I buy European. Preferably made in Europe. (Since I am European)

Upstart seems to be a Stihl copy that uses the Oregon letter identifying code. and made in Husqvarna drive link sizes. One can get it at walmart.com or on eBay. There are loops only, 3/8 chisel, .325 semi chisel no bumper drive links, full size not NK. And semi chisel 3/8 lp that I have on the way.
Are you suggesting that this chain wouldn't fit my MS361 with 20" bar? I had assumed that if it was labeled as 3/8" .050" with 72 drive links, that it would fit my 20" Stihl bar.
If those three numbers match what I need, does it matter whether the seller advertises it as being for Husqvarna or Stihl?

Are you suggesting that this chain wouldn't fit my MS361 with 20" bar? I had assumed that if it was labeled as 3/8" .050" with 72 drive links, that it would fit my 20" Stihl bar.
If those three numbers match what I need, does it matter whether the seller advertises it as being for Husqvarna or Stihl?
On the .325 and 3/8 lp Stihl bars the dl differs from others. 72 in 3/8 seems common to both. They make many listings for the same product. Use the Oregon letter code on the package.

No, it does not. But many Stihl bars are 0.063" gauge. If your bar is 0.050" (narrow) gauge, then that chain will work fine.

No, it does not. But many Stihl bars are 0.063" gauge. If your bar is 0.050" (narrow) gauge, then that chain will work fine.
OK, thanks. I wasn't sure whether he was suggesting maybe the sprocket and drive links were shaped differently between Husq and Stihl -- aside from any gauge difference.

Well, I wish I could say a few positive things about this chain. I mounted it on my Stihl MS361 and went to cut up two felled ash trees for firewood. It never made it through one tank of fuel before it was too dull to cut any further. I tried both bucking and noodle cutting. There was no comparison between this chain and Oregon 72LGX or Husqvarna X-Cut. In all, I would give those two brands and A and this Upstart CSC-D72 a D+. You might be able to cut softwoods with it (cottonwood, poplar, linden, etc.) but forget about ash or oak. It simply did not last, got hot, and eventually started to smoke. I'll sharpen it and try again, but I doubt that will show much improvement over the out-of-the box performance I observed.

The ash I was working on had been felled about three weeks ago and was clean. By comparison, I had noodle cut and buck cut some big rounds using Archer semi-chisel with a Stihl MS441 M-tronic, and it did a beautiful job for a full tank of usage. Archer chain is not much more expensive than the the Upstart (maybe $5 a loop higher). Given the choice between these two inexpensive brands, Archer wins hands down. Now, what do I do with five loops of this? Thanks for the read.

Regarding the off brand, I guess you would never know if you never tried. I've cut with several brands through the years, keep coming back to Oregon and Stihl. Years ago when Edge and Engine was a sponsor here they offered a sale on Oregon LGX, 3/8ths, 72DL and Oregon LPX, .325, 72DL. $10 for the .325 and I believe $12 or $15 for the 3/8th. I bought a bunch of both.

This is not close to the truth. You should be telling your dealer what size of bar, pitch, and gauge you want when buying your saw, or replacement bar. I have never owned a stihl with anything other then an .050" bar grove. Another factor is location. Most dealers dont seems to stock much outside of .050" around here.

Well, I wish I could say a few positive things about this chain. I mounted it on my Stihl MS361 and went to cut up two felled ash trees for firewood. It never made it through one tank of fuel before it was too dull to cut any further. I tried both bucking and noodle cutting. There was no comparison between this chain and Oregon 72LGX or Husqvarna X-Cut. In all, I would give those two brands and A and this Upstart CSC-D72 a D+. You might be able to cut softwoods with it (cottonwood, poplar, linden, etc.) but forget about ash or oak. It simply did not last, got hot, and eventually started to smoke. I'll sharpen it and try again, but I doubt that will show much improvement over the out-of-the box performance I observed.

The ash I was working on had been felled about three weeks ago and was clean. By comparison, I had noodle cut and buck cut some big rounds using Archer semi-chisel with a Stihl MS441 M-tronic, and it did a beautiful job for a full tank of usage. Archer chain is not much more expensive than the the Upstart (maybe $5 a loop higher). Given the choice between these two inexpensive brands, Archer wins hands down. Now, what do I do with five loops of this? Thanks for the read.
Keep it for stump duty......
How do you like the x cut chain? Been meaning to get a loop or two, to try out.

Keep it for stump duty......
How do you like the x cut chain? Been meaning to get a loop or two, to try out.
Husqvarna X-cut is excellent, and I rate it right with Oregon 72LGX. BTW, dealers in this area hardly even stock large .050" gauge Stihl bars but will order it as needed. Amazing the area differences.

Thanks for the stump-cutting suggestion. That will rapidly wear out the Upstart loops. This might be the softest chain I have ever mounted on a 20" bar.

Saw an ebay ad for five 20" loops of 3/8" .050 full chisel for about $50. Brand is "Upstart."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pack-20-...-for-Husqvarna-435-3-8-050-72-DL/142146117856
Did a search here but didn't find anything -- has anybody used "Upstart" branded chain? How is it?
I've used the 3/8 .50 72 dl full chisel for 3 year's
It's held up great for me
I've cut a lot with it.
I have 10 loops now
And the local firewood guy's had me order some for them bought about 30 loops.
But amazon has oregon on sale for 10.36 I believe
I'd go that route for that size chain.

I've used the 3/8 .50 72 dl full chisel for 3 year's
It's held up great for me
I've cut a lot with it.
I have 10 loops now
And the local firewood guy's had me order some for them bought about 30 loops.
But amazon has oregon on sale for 10.36 I believe
I'd go that route for that size chain.
do you have a link for that deal on Amazon? didn't see it when I looked

Back