US Stove 2500 - What is your opinion, should I buy one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Dupp

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Looked through search results and didn't see this stove, just wondering what you guys and gals think of the US Stove 2500? I have about 2000 sq ft to heat - two levels. Anyone familiar with this thing?

Just looked up the specs, seems a bit light weight for the size. At $1250 you could get an Englander NC30 ( from there back door sales department, comes with blower) and put the 250 left over towards your flue assembly. Englander is made stateside, a plus in my book. Englander, as a company, and the NC30 ( also called Summers Heat or Timberidge) have a good track record another plus mark.

Firebrick lined
Firebox: 2.5 cubic feet
6" flue collar
Quiet 100 CFM blower included

Capacities Amounts
Fuel Wood
Heating Capacity 1,600 - 2,400 Sq. Ft.
Log Length 21"
BTU Range 47,626 - 112,000
Depth w/blower 29.75"
Depth w/o blower 25"
Width 27"
Height 29"
Weight 350 lbs.

Well it looks to me like you'll need something a bit more beefie....100 cfm blower..your home needs 1200 cfm's.
BTU wise you'll be maxing it out...most likely just a couple hours of burn times with 2.5 of cubic feet of wood.

Our 50-90 thousand BJ90 weighs 600 lbs...double what that pretty lil stove is. It heats 2000 s/f homes for 10-12 hours on a load of hardwood...with about 5.25 cubic feet capacity for wood.
http://www.yukon-eagle.com/FURNACES/BIGJACKADDONWOODFURNACE/tabid/169/Default.aspx

If you are on a tight budget the Englander stoves are pretty hard to beat. U.S. Stoves are typically very inefficient. If you can afford to, the newer stove technologies are well worth the expense.
WELL SEASONED wood (1-2 years)is the key to any wood stove.
Good luck

I'd like to thank everyone for their help, that's what is great about this site. Anyhoo, I found an Englander NC30 at the Despot for $899.00 which seemed pretty good, but then called Lowedown and they tell me they will match anyone's price and subtract 10%. That seems real good at $809.10. Then on top of that there is a $300 tax credit, so it really ends up $509.10 + tax. I think I will do that. Again, thanks to all.

Last edited:
I'd like to thank everyone for their help, that's what is great about this site. Anyhoo, I found an Englander NC30 at the Despot for $899.00 which seemed pretty good, but then called Lowedown and they tell me they will match anyone's price and subtract 10%. That seems real good at $809.10. Then on top of that there is a $300 tax credit, so it really ends up $509.10 + tax. I think I will do that. Again, thanks to all.

the tax credit says that unit must be at least 75% efficient and the credit is 10% up to 300$ so your credit is only 90$ and that is if you did not take any other credit in the Energy Star program over the last few years....consult your tax person.

the tax credit says that unit must be at least 75% efficient and the credit is 10% up to 300$ so your credit is only 90$ and that is if you did not take any other credit in the Energy Star program over the last few years....consult your tax person.

Guess I should read the fine print. LOL. anyhoo, thanks!

A question I'd be asking myself...what can I really get for a grand from a retailer knowing that they mark up their products by a 100%...What are you getting for 500$?????
There's also shipping in that $500 from wherever that product is made.

Last edited:
A question I'd be asking myself...what can I really get for a grand from a retailer knowing that they mark up their products by a 100%...What are you getting for 500$?????

It's unlikely any retailers will stay in biz with a 100% markup. Flyer'd wood stove are at about 15%, while the stock ones are about 22% to 25%.

Maybe. I bought one a few months ago and I'd give it a solid Three Stars. The big issue, and this is a known issue, is the door gasket is way too small. The stove comes with a 1/2 inch gasket installed. Within two days I could see inside the stove along the door edge on the handle side. I went to Tractor Supply and upgraded to a 5/8 inch gasket. At first I thought I had solved the problem. I had good compression against the stove face when locking the handle down. I was wrong. Within another couple days I felt the compression was completely gone again. I could see the same issue when peering along the edge of the handle side of the door - the orange coals were clearly visible. If you've never had a woodstove let me explain the issue here.... The more air that can get into the stove without going through the draft adjustment handle the faster you will go through wood and the heat is uncontrollable. You must have a good seal along all parts of any stove that open or close. Otherwise if you load the stove with wood at bedtime you'll wake up and it's long gone and often there are few coals remaining. A good seal prevents this and allows for a very slow burn during the night giving lower and longer heat. Today I'll be installing a 3/4 inch gasket that I just got from Home Depot. I'll report back in a few days as to my success.

Look at the Vogelzang 2500s. Mine has been great and the new ones are EPA certified and may even be more efficient burners. I have used the snot out of mine in the 10, or so years that I have had it.

Back