US Stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iron Head

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone using the US Stoves from Costco and what you think of them?
They looks very nicely built and EPA rate.

Took a quick look at costco web sight - stoves, For the price of the $1100 Englander NC 30 or Drolet HT2000 are better buys. The cheaper ones are awful light weight which translates into ain't gona last long. Likely Asian mfg. and that translates to poor quality steel. Look at them from this perspective Costco is making at least 30% mark up and US Steel is likely getting 100% markup over their cost when selling to Costco. These # might be high but you get the drift.

Drolet 2000 at Menards or Northern tool 995. Englander NC30 with blower and shipping $1100. Both are superior stoves with good track records

Took a quick look at costco web sight - stoves, For the price of the $1100 Englander NC 30 or Drolet HT2000 are better buys. The cheaper ones are awful light weight which translates into ain't gona last long. Likely Asian mfg. and that translates to poor quality steel. Look at them from this perspective Costco is making at least 30% mark up and US Steel is likely getting 100% markup over their cost when selling to Costco. These # might be high but you get the drift.

Drolet 2000 at Menards or Northern tool 995. Englander NC30 with blower and shipping $1100. Both are superior stoves with good track records

Thanks for the plug! We make Drolet.

US Stove Co are made in China (somewhat ironic for a company called US Stoves). They are not 'bad' stoves but any company making heavy appliances overseas must save on shipping cost by reducing the weight of the unit with thinner steel. Any North American made stoves are fully assembled and typically have a better warranty and better made. And frankly there is not a huge cost difference between Chinese made stoves and North American ones.

The Drolet HT-2000 is one of the biggest plate steel stove on the market (3.4 cu ft), it comes standard with a heat exchanger and the only stove on the market with a 'dual air wash'. What this means is even if you build a small fire, it will not smolder and create creosote since a fair amount of air is still re-directed toward the fire bed. It's also heavy - 550 Lbs. One of the most popular stove for Amish folks in the Midwest.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Englander NCH30 at the Despot is $899 and includes a small blower.

May I suggest you look into the cost of replacement parts for US Stove.

Oddly many parts on the stove, including the blower motor have been engineered to make them available only from US Stove at insane prices.

Thanks for the plug! We make Drolet.

US Stove Co are made in China (somewhat ironic for a company called US Stoves). They are not 'bad' stoves but any company making heavy appliances overseas must save on shipping cost by reducing the weight of the unit with thinner steel. Any North American made stoves are fully assembled and typically have a better warranty and better made. And frankly there is not a huge cost difference between Chinese made stoves and North American ones.

The Drolet HT-2000 is one of the biggest plate steel stove on the market (3.4 cu ft), it comes standard with a heat exchanger and the only stove on the market with a 'dual air wash'. What this means is even if you build a small fire, it will not smolder and create creosote since a fair amount of air is still re-directed toward the fire bed. It's also heavy - 550 Lbs. One of the most popular stove for Amish folks in the Midwest.

Let me know if you have any questions.

If a stove is what your needing not a furnace...think about what Fryebug has posted...there's a lot of truth there.
Buying a wood appliance is an investment in staving off those high heating costs. You'd be better off in the long run buying something that is efficient and well built...unless you just want to burn wood for a couple of years...then the disposable cheapies may be what works for you and your budget.

We've been burning a US Stoves Magnolia for maybe 5years now, and I think it cost about $775 at Tractor Supply. That model is no longer made, but it looks somewhat similar to the Forester, except it is not a pedestal model. I got it when I really did not know as much as I do now and had no idea where it was made, but I have to say that it's been an excellent heating appliance, and I simply cannot fault it in any way. It's welded steel, except for the door, but I do not see any deterioration anywhere. I considered the welded construction to be a benefit as I wanted it to be well sealed. I had to replace the door glass once due to my own error, and that was about $135, although door glass is never cheap. I've replaced some of the firebricks and the door gaskets, but I got those at the local hardware store and those are wear items anyway. No doubt there are higher quality stoves, but I do not know what more I could expect from it. It heats my house, it starts easily, it simply works.

"I went to the drolet site because of this thread and came across the "sawman". Very similar to the Allnighter stoves of the 70s. Anyone have a sawman and want to comment on it?

"I went to the drolet site because of this thread and came across the "sawman". Very similar to the Allnighter stoves of the 70s. Anyone have a sawman and want to comment on it?

We make the Sawman, it's only available in Canada. It's not an EPA stove and will be discontinued for 2012.

We are working on a large EPA cast-iron door wood stove (about 4+ cu Ft) that should be ready for 2013

We make the Sawman, it's only available in Canada. It's not an EPA stove and will be discontinued for 2012.

We are working on a large EPA cast-iron door wood stove (about 4+ cu Ft) that should be ready for 2013

Then what are you doing noodling around here on AS??? Get to work!!! There's prospective wood burners out there looking for a stove!!! Damn... We gotta stay on you all the time Fyrebug...
:amazed:

:laugh:

Then what are you doing noodling around here on AS??? Get to work!!! There's prospective wood burners out there looking for a stove!!! Damn... We gotta stay on you all the time Fyrebug...
:amazed:

:laugh:

I'm sorry, I apologize and contritely seek your forgiveness. :bowdown:

However, if you're looking for a stove - we've got 7 brands and a few dozens to chose from. Let me know how many you need! :msp_w00t:

I'm sorry, I apologize and contritely seek your forgiveness. :bowdown:

However, if you're looking for a stove - we've got 7 brands and a few dozens to chose from. Let me know how many you need! :msp_w00t:

Ha!!! And yes... I will be harassing you when I'm ready to upgrade. Hope you can ship to southwest MO...:msp_wink:

I'll drive it there myself but you're providing the Q & the brews!

That's easy...:hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

We've been burning a US Stoves Magnolia for maybe 5years now, and I think it cost about $775 at Tractor Supply. That model is no longer made, but it looks somewhat similar to the Forester, except it is not a pedestal model. I got it when I really did not know as much as I do now and had no idea where it was made, but I have to say that it's been an excellent heating appliance, and I simply cannot fault it in any way. It's welded steel, except for the door, but I do not see any deterioration anywhere. I considered the welded construction to be a benefit as I wanted it to be well sealed. I had to replace the door glass once due to my own error, and that was about $135, although door glass is never cheap. I've replaced some of the firebricks and the door gaskets, but I got those at the local hardware store and those are wear items anyway. No doubt there are higher quality stoves, but I do not know what more I could expect from it. It heats my house, it starts easily, it simply works.
………How many SF is your stove heating?

Latest posts

Back