ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

USDOT numbers. Ever deal with them?

capetrees

capetrees

Tree Freak
Last year, my state required every commercial truck to get a USDOT number. I've tried to understand what they're for but have found nothing. The one thing that has happened is every scummy "compliance" company has tried to contact me.

Anyone have any experience or understanding of what this is all for?

lone wolf

lone wolf

MS 200T King
Last year, my state required every commercial trick to get a USDOT number. I've tried to understand what they're for but have found nothing. The one thing that has happened is every scummy "compliance" company has tried to contact me.

Anyone have any experience or understanding of what this is all for?
Those company's are BS just ignore them. As long as you have the DOT numbers which i assume you have or you would not be getting calls or Emails you are good. As far as what it is for more State control and money!

capetrees

capetrees

Tree Freak
I do know about having them on the doors but what is the number for? They're no charge to get one and I've never been contacted by anyone for anything to pay for something on an official level. The scam companies want your money but the FMCSA has never asked or required anything.

What are they for??

Franny K

Franny K

xyz
Hes got to Know that.
That was my experience put the numbers on the side and get mailings from the government. . It has been a while but they still mail me something that I ignore.

I took the question to be about what the numbers are for and perhaps what purpose Massachusetts now wants more vehicles with such numbers.

What is a commercial trick?
Don't you need a number over 10,000 lbs? I thought he has posted about reading hours on the chipper.

From a book keeping aspect if you go into other states it gets complex so every state gets $. That probably involves those numbers.

I am pretty sure my state sells lists. Whether these scammers are getting their names and addresses from public files or purchace could be intresting.

Reactions: svk
buzz sawyer

buzz sawyer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Western border of mid-southern northern WV
I do know about having them on the doors but what is the number for? They're no charge to get one and I've never been contacted by anyone for anything to pay for something on an official level. The scam companies want your money but the FMCSA has never asked or required anything.

What are they for??
Do I Need a USDOT Number? | FMCSA

capetrees

capetrees

Tree Freak
That was my experience put the numbers on the side and get mailings from the government. . It has been a while but they still mail me something that I ignore.

I took the question to be about what the numbers are for and perhaps what purpose Massachusetts now wants more vehicles with such numbers.

What is a commercial trick?
Don't you need a number over 10,000 lbs? I thought he has posted about reading hours on the chipper.

From a book keeping aspect if you go into other states it gets complex so every state gets $. That probably involves those numbers.

I am pretty sure my state sells lists. Whether these scammers are getting their names and addresses from public files or purchace could be intresting.
I've read all that stuff but what good is a DOT number? If I'm in an accident, my registration tells it all and my driving record with the state registry of motor vehicles tells it all. Inspections don't go to the FMCSA, all to my state and verified by the sticker in the window.

Lets put it another way. Has anyone had the USDOT number used in the case of an accident or audit and how was it used?

I just don't understand the need for it and how it's used. So I go interstate and do business (not that I do but if I did) how is it used and for what?

capetrees

capetrees

Tree Freak
When does any of that happen? Has anyone had experience with any of those possibilities?

It's all new to me and really confusing considering I've never gone across state lines with my truck

Marine-piper

Marine-piper

Homelite collector in training.☠
The DOT# is used by DOT and LEOs to check your company at inspections and pullovers, it's also attached to the company's CSA score.
It is used to identify any issues a company has with compliance to DOT rules (driver, Hazmat and vehicle maintenance)
If you roll across a scale and have placards and they see your company has a low CSA score it gives them a possible reason to pull you in for a paperwork inspection. Same goes with vehicle maintenance, if your equipment looks like crap they send you for a vehicle inspection. Also if your drivers fail for too many issues they look for that.
We were audited on Hazmat a few yrs ago at the home office, passed.
Hazmat is one of the biggest issues.

Homelite enthusiast in training.

Jhenderson

Jhenderson

Addicted to ArboristSite
why did they come to you to check you out? Random or reason?
All the aforementioned reasons are why I don’t have DOT numbers. Our state doesn’t require them for intrastate work and I refuse to go interstate because I don’t want the additional paperwork and headaches. They will eventually make an appointment with any and all DOT registered operators for a compliance audit.
Just because you’re intrastate doesn’t let you off the hook. RI is one of a handful of states that don’t automatically demand DOT registration. For example, Ct and Ma require DOT numbers on all commercial vehicles over 10K gross. Many states require them if you travel over 150 air miles from home . Do your research. .

Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins

Firewood by TJ
Here we have CA numbers which is a big challenge. At this moment I have not tried to do any out of state business. So US DOT requirements have been enforced here. Last year I had to renew my CDL which was a pretty big deal for me. I had to make eight appointments like I was starting from scratch. I had to take all the federal test along with the California test. Then when all done had to take a C test which was another deal all by its self. Thanks