ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

USDOT numbers. Ever deal with them?

capetrees

capetrees

Tree Freak
What are you hauling?
Nothing. Thats just it. I work around my town and a couple around me and drag a chipper behind me and never go out of state. Why DOT numbers are needed in this state is beyond me. It's just another bureaucratic piece of BS the states dumping on us.

svk

Saw Hoarder
Nothing. Thats just it. I work around my town and a couple around me and drag a chipper behind me and never go out of state. Why DOT numbers are needed in this state is beyond me. It's just another bureaucratic piece of BS the states dumping on us.
You are exactly right.

In MN you are exempt up to a certain weight (that I’m not sure of) if you put “Not for hire” on the vehicle. Otherwise anything over a 1 ton needs DOT.

Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins

Firewood by TJ
Was the renewal because of age? If not why all the tests?
I have had a conventional CDL for almost forty years. So was thinking not too big of a deal. I was going to just go in to the office show my stuff and be on my way. No way. All CDL people need to have real ID. That means all documents need to be reviewed. After the back grounds checks I am told to take the test that would apply.
The only thing that I thought I would not be involved in was Hazmat related which made my list much smaller. from the required twenty. So I take the first test and failed it because it was a federal requirement on combination trailers. Pulling a train in California is illegal. The lady informed me that the test was a federal test not California. So OK. So spent the next several days reviewing federal requirements. So only spent 150 hours studying. After about six test the lady that I got to know said great job. She told me that many applicants fail six times which causes them to have their license to be revolked for a year. My license is chipped and supposedly will allow me to travel and drive. Thanks

• Wow
Reactions: svk
Jhenderson

Jhenderson

Addicted to ArboristSite
When I renewed my class A I brought in the required documentation and was out in 10 minutes. No tests, written or practical. I do not understand what “ Tests” you had to take if you already held a CDL. Was your prev license a true federal CDL or a California issued license with non commercial towing privileges?

Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins

Firewood by TJ
When I renewed my class A I brought in the required documentation and was out in 10 minutes. No tests, written or practical. I do not understand what “ Tests” you had to take if you already held a CDL. Was your prev license a true federal CDL or a California issued license with non commercial towing privileges?
I do not believe that I can answer perfectly accurate your questions so will not try. I believe that I have always had most endorsements including Federal. When my renewal came up I received a letter stating that all eligibility would be reviewed and tested. The good thing was that they were going to give me six months to complete the process, but I did not want to take chances that I might not complete my renewal so I mostly took three weeks from work and got it done. My contact at the DMV made several jokes and comments about my testing. She said nobody passes all the test first time around. So that made me feel great only failing one test that I did not study at all for. After the last test was handed to me that was %100 I thought finally this is over. Then she said do not get stopped in your car because you do not have a license to drive a car. She said I could come in any time and take the C test. So a week latter took that test too. I pretty much know little about driving a car. I do not ever want to be in a DMV office again. When I took my CDL test almost forty years ago was one of three that passed every thing 100% So I was thinking how hard can this be. Thanks

Reactions: svk
Marine-piper

Marine-piper

Homelite collector in training.☠
I've had my CDL for 29yrs and the only test I'm required to take at renewal is my Hazmat.
I have to get fingerprinted every time which I find ridiculous because they don't change! Then I have to wait until the TSA approves me and then I can go and take the Hazmat test. No other endorsements that I have do I need to do this for. I have tanker, double/ triple and Hazmat on a class A.

Homelite enthusiast in training.