Used Dirty chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i picked up a husky 257 and it’s so caked with dirt I couldn’t reset the brake. Everything was covered in dirt from inside the carb and air cleaner to inside the clutch cover. I never seen a saw so dirty. The saw looks like it was never cleaned. I gotta post pics. My point is this machinery works for us and there not cheap to replace. Keeping it clean, lube the clutch bro and sprocket nose plus washing the air filter matters. Keeping the dirt out of the cooling fins on the cylinder matters too. How often do you flush out the gas and oil tanks and replace the filters? How often do you disassemble the saw to blowout all the wood chips and dirt.? Ever clean the groove in the bar? Again pay me now or pay me later, but later maybe sooner than you think.
Chain saw maintenance is way much more than cleaning the air cleaner.

I need to call the chainsaw abuse police on my 257. Lol

i picked up a husky 257 and it’s so caked with dirt I couldn’t reset the brake. Everything was covered in dirt from inside the carb and air cleaner to inside the clutch cover. I never seen a saw so dirty. The saw looks like it was never cleaned. I gotta post pics. My point is this machinery works for us and there not cheap to replace. Keeping it clean, lube the clutch bro and sprocket nose plus washing the air filter matters. Keeping the dirt out of the cooling fins on the cylinder matters too. How often do you flush out the gas and oil tanks and replace the filters? How often do you disassemble the saw to blowout all the wood chips and dirt.? Ever clean the groove in the bar? Again pay me now or pay me later, but later maybe sooner than you think.
Chain saw maintenance is way much more than cleaning the air cleaner.

I need to call the chainsaw abuse police on my 257. Lol
I clean them when dirty flush tank every winter!

Dad gave me the latest 009L when I sent his original one home. He said he bought it from a shop for 20 bucks for parts. He got it home and got it started. Said the chain brake didnt work. It did, after I cleaned it out. So much oil soaked sawdust that the linkage wouldnt move. Kill switch wouldnt work for the same reason. Good cleaning, spark plug, and the right size fuel line and filter made a nice little limber out of it.

I hate Stihl saws because of this. It's like they are designed to vacuum up the dust and pack it in.

My Husqvarna 460 went for an entire season with out even checking the air filter and it didn't need to be cleaned when I checked it. The MS290 I just built has to be cleaned every three or four tanks, and the saw took hours and hours to clean up to build it, and it's about as dirty as I found it now after 20 tanks.

I keep my saws squeaky clean and even wax them if I have the time. I cringe when I see dirty saws.

You are not normal and I mean that in the nicest kind of way. I could overload this forum with dirty saw picts as that is how 99% of chainsaws are used and treated, at the dealerships more time was spent trying to clean and pry parts off saws to get them repaired than an actual repair would take on a new clean saw.

My own saws are kept rather clean, not polished and waxed but at least a bit tidy, saws coming in for repair are always a dogs barf, its just the way the typical saw user treats them. On this site saws are molly coddled in general but not out in the rest of the population.

You are not normal and I mean that in the nicest kind of way. I could overload this forum with dirty saw picts as that is how 99% of chainsaws are used and treated, at the dealerships more time was spent trying to clean and pry parts off saws to get them repaired than an actual repair would take on a new clean saw.
20190313_100110.jpg

LOL, Not for me but if one wants to nothing wrong with that.
Really does help in post sawing clean-up. Only takes about 3 minutes to apply the spray wax and wipe off. One thing I always wondered is how many people pull the chain brake mechanism cover off and clean under it. Any saws I worked on for other people it was always filthy even if the rest of the saw was fairly clean.

Back