"Used" firewood from Amazon for only $22.96!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, i didn't realize how much money i've been just tossing in my garden. I have a full 55 gal drum of "used" firewood ready to go right now.

anyone buyn'????

any idea what that stuff is?
how does it put out "30% more heat than firewood" without chemical additives ?
30% more heat than what species of hardwood?
wonder what those 6 "logs" are made of

Its compressed wood chips and/or sawdust pressed into log form. If I could figure out how much force was required I'd build a press and press out wood chip logs too.

Its compressed wood chips and/or sawdust pressed into log form. If I could figure out how much force was required I'd build a press and press out wood chip logs too.

I'm considering trying this, just to see what happens. A die of some sort (piece if pipe?) and a shop press might work. Like the others said, I would expect it to have some sort of bonding agent though.

So I wonder what holds it all together?...They would have to add something wouldn't they?

Where I work we make pellets out of soybean hulls and the only thing that is injected into the process is steam and a slight amount of water. I would think that this is the same process but only on a bigger scale with wood chips. There is a company in St Ansger Iowa that makes pelleted logs out of chips and sells them by the pallet load. I believe the price is roughly $190. a pallet, or 2 or more pallets for $170. The claim that all logs are 5% moisture and have 1/5th less ash. The die that we use at work is tapered down from the inside out so any type of pipe/press attempt would need to have the bottom of the pipe smaller then the top to help the pellet to stick together. Soybean hulls have very little to no moisture in them so any water used in the process is not a problem but I would think that might be a different story with the moisture in wood chips. Would be really interested in the pipe pellet experiment and how it works out.

Several of the consumer reviews reference a "white powder" that you use to help start the fire. Any ideas what the magic substance is?

Where I work we make pellets out of soybean hulls and the only thing that is injected into the process is steam and a slight amount of water. I would think that this is the same process but only on a bigger scale with wood chips. There is a company in St Ansger Iowa that makes pelleted logs out of chips and sells them by the pallet load. I believe the price is roughly $190. a pallet, or 2 or more pallets for $170. The claim that all logs are 5% moisture and have 1/5th less ash. The die that we use at work is tapered down from the inside out so any type of pipe/press attempt would need to have the bottom of the pipe smaller then the top to help the pellet to stick together. Soybean hulls have very little to no moisture in them so any water used in the process is not a problem but I would think that might be a different story with the moisture in wood chips. Would be really interested in the pipe pellet experiment and how it works out.

===
Do you know what is the pressure applied to compression process???

Several of the consumer reviews reference a "white powder" that you use to help start the fire. Any ideas what the magic substance is?

My guess would be a powdered magnesium-based compound. Magnesium tends to oxidize quite readily by itself, but it's used in a number of strikers / fire starters. It could also be similar to Hexane or Trioxain tablets, but something magnesium based would be my first guess.

Wood contains lignin which is a natural adhesive if you can acheive sufficient heat and compression. Compression causes heat, so all you need is sufficient compression, probably around 20 ton per square inch. That pretty much takes shop presses and log splitters out of the game.

The mold you compress into becomes another problem, just using a pipe leaves the problem of getting the "log" out of the pipe once it is compressed. If you plan to press through the inside of the pipe will need to be polished. An easier way would be to split the pipe into halves and add hinges & clasps along the split to hold the "log" until it has set up.

There are a couple ways of making logs, and both involve moisture. This means you need to hold compression for a period while the log sets up.

If you can't develop and hold pressure the solution is to use adhesives. 2 cheap and natural adhesives are used vegetable oil and cornstarch. Both burn and give off heat in addition to the sawdust. Both also give the benefit of lower required compression to make a "LOG". What pressure you need is determined by too many possibles to predict. With either adhesive, the coating process consumes time. A drum type concrete mixer is good for batching, and you need to determine what amount of adhesive you need according to the quality of the sawdust. Making logs you want minimum adhesive. The process is similar to making jellybeans, or coating seeds.

Even using adhesive there is a cure period during which pressure must be maintained before the "log" can be removed from the mold.

Of course given tremendous amounts of spendable cash, you can move up to continuous extrusion.

Saw a "How It's Made" segment on this type of log. First, wood waste is ground and sifted to uniform particle size and dried to particular moisture content. Too-small particles sifted out of grinder are burned to heat dryer. Big auger press extrudes sawdust through die, guillotine chops to length. Lignin is only adhesive, naturally activated by heat of compression as noted by poster above. Just like pellets for pellet stoves, only bigger.

These logs have been around a long time. They're different from the individually-wrapped paraffin-soaked ones (which have been around a long time, too). Seems pretty silly to pay $23 and have them MAILED to you, but $5 for a bundle of kindling at the grocery store seems silly, too. If there weren't enough people who thought it looked like a good idea the product wouldn't exist.

Yes, Duraflame (sticky, comes individually wrapped, basically a big firestarter) is the waxy kind. The Landmann ones say in the product description that they're made with no waxes or binders. Dunno that one is better than the other, but it's certainly possible to make a compressed sawdust log using only the lignin in the wood to stick it together.

To use the lignin as a binder probably requires tremendous amounts of force through a tapered extrusion mold, technology beyond the budget of the backyard innovator. When I worked in the fireworks industry we used something called Dextrin as a binder for fireworks stars. It was water activated. As the composition was tumbled in a cement mixer along with rice hulls we would mist water into the mixer and the composition would cling to the rice hulls and form into round stars.

Latest posts

Back