Used heatmor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iaff113

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What do you think a fair prices would be on a used 400DC model heatmor. It looks to be in decent shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you think a fair prices would be on a used 400DC model heatmor. It looks to be in decent shape.

Why is he selling. Any cracks in the stainless? Pumps, fittings, any extras? How old?

Not sure on the sale. I haven’t looked at it yet. I am going to go take a look and pressure test it. I was just trying to figure out what the ball park range on them was.

The only extras are the exchangers for the forced air. But they mean nothing to me since I am going to be connecting this to my hot water base boards. I can’t find much on price range for these used and didn’t want to completely low ball someone

I sold my 10 year old 434 Woodmaster to my neighbor for 1500. Dealer said it was worth twice that. Believe those sold for around 6500. It's all about condition, age and repairs needed. Had to repair 434 once, rolled steel and welder ran 1200. Worst he can say is no to your offer, just leave the door open if you want it.

I don't think there is a good answer to your question. It is kinda what ever the market will bear. Unfortunately things like this are not like a 2013 Malibu where there are 8 million available. Good luck!

Good morning ask about his maintenance and if the anode rod has been changed. And if the circulator pump and blower are original. Also if the door seal has been changed. Just trying to find a fair price to YOU. This can be a challenge at least you can justify a little more if all of the above has been taken care of recently. If not you can deduct from your budget of boiler on these maintenance items.

If i was going to sell mine all in heat exchanger and hot water set up i would list mine at $3500 and not leave much for wiggle room as i know all my maintenance has been done..

I traded labor for my heatmor 200css, its a mid 90's model so pretty old. We were shooting for around $1,000 labor for the trade. One thing I would recommend is going over the machine well and adding up everything that needs replacing. I had to completely disassemble mine and replace both the aquastats, some of the wiring, clean out door and brackets, bladder, door seal, door tubes, blower fan, all the plumbing on the back, pumps, and thermometer on the front. Everything was pretty well worn out/blackened from years of use. In all I spent around $900.00 to refurbish the stove. Depending on the age of the stove there is a good chance many of these things are going to need to be replaced as well and the cost of these items isn't cheap.

I traded labor for my heatmor 200css, its a mid 90's model so pretty old. We were shooting for around $1,000 labor for the trade. One thing I would recommend is going over the machine well and adding up everything that needs replacing. I had to completely disassemble mine and replace both the aquastats, some of the wiring, clean out door and brackets, bladder, door seal, door tubes, blower fan, all the plumbing on the back, pumps, and thermometer on the front. Everything was pretty well worn out/blackened from years of use. In all I spent around $900.00 to refurbish the stove. Depending on the age of the stove there is a good chance many of these things are going to need to be replaced as well and the cost of these items isn't cheap.

How were you able to tell if those items are bad? I was just thinking of making up fittings to pressure test to system and visually inspect the fire box for cracks and holes

In my case it was pretty obvious because they were scorched/blackened pretty bad. What i was able to do was pick the stove up on my flatbed trailer and bring it home. I filled it with water and ran an extension cord to it and jammed the wires into the extension cord to power the system, safe I know. From there I just visually inspected for any leaks and trouble shot the wiring and couldn't get anything to work so I just started replacing parts until I got it going. Mine was laying in the woods when I found it. If the one you are looking at is still hooked up you should be able to run it and see what all is/isn't working. If its all operational then you will be good to go. I would make sure to have backup aquastat, pump, fan, on hand as these things go out eventually and nothing works without it.

You didn't say how old it is?

Honestly I don't think I would offer much more than scrap steel value for a used owb. Just too big a gamble. Lotta work in just moving the things too let alone getting it working.

Most OWB's can't be pressure tested. Mine has a fill pipe on the top and it's not sealed so no go on pressure testing it. I did try to pressure test it and the fill pipe leaked at the weld. I thought I was in trouble but turns out they just more or least tack weld the fill spout on. Everything else was and is good. I bought mine used and the owner bought it used. I took a gamble and it paid off. I never bothered with anything electric on it I just replaced everything, easier than screwing around. The unit is worth whatever you and the owner decide. Big jump in price from used to new though.

Yeah I’m looking at this and an H2 from Hardy. Trying to figure out what would be the best to spend the money on to get me started

Yeah I’m looking at this and an H2 from Hardy. Trying to figure out what would be the best to spend the money on to get me started

I bought two used Hardy H4 boilers earlier this fall.

I paid 1k for one of them, it hadn't been used in a long time, but I filled it up and it didn't leak. Needed a new gauge, blower motor, insulation kit and some other odds and ends. It came with a big plate exchanger and two air exchangers. It's a 2001 model.

The other one I paid 2k for. It was currently in use, so no worries about anything not working or leaks. It came with 100' of insulated pipe, 2 air exchangers and a set of spare grates. It's a 1993 model.

My hardy dealer said I did well on each stove and could easily resell them for profit. So in essence, I'd look to spend 1k to 2k for a used OWB. I'd be more inclined to stick with a simple design and stainless steel (a lot less prone to leaks). Good luck, no doubt I'd buy a used boiler again.

Back