Used Husky 371 Value?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nonprophet

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a good used 70cc saw having sold my MS-440 Magnum. A good friend has a 1998 371-XP that he bought new. He rarely uses it, it has maybe 20 hours on it. It's got the full wrap and the large felling dogs on it. It is bone stock, never modded in any way. He only uses chainsaws as firewood saws. He's got a Rancher 55 too, and he usually uses the 55 because it's smaller, lighter, and easier to use. He's basically only used the 371 for limbing because with its 32" bar he doesn't have to bend over so much. It's got a 32" Oregon Powermatch bar and chain on it. Even though it has low hours/usage, it's not a beauty queen, it's been bouncing around in the back of his pickup and the barn since he got it new. Still, it seems to be in pretty darned good shape and it cranks right up with 2 pulls. I have not done a compression check or checked the piston for scoring, but given the low hours I'm assuming it's good to go. He's offering to sell the saw to me because he knows I'm looking for a pro 70cc saw, and he just rarely uses the 371-XP. He's a good friend, and I don't want to steal it from him, but I don't want to pay too much either. I know the 372-XP is legendary, and a quick internet search shows that people like the 371 too, so, what's a fair price for a used saw like this assuming good compression and no scoring on the cylinder? Are parts still easy to get? Should I be worried about buying a 16 year old saw?

Many thanks!

NP

An older saws value is related to two main issues. One is the mechanical condition and the other is the cosmetic condition. Sounds like the saw is ok mechanically but rough cosmetically. For a price, with no pics, my guess would be $300 to $400. Probably on the lower end if the saw looks rough.

I wouldn't say it's rough cosmetically, but it's sure not mint either. I think once I cleaned her up she'll look pretty decent, actually. I was thinking $300 too, I have no idea what he's thinking lol!

I just saw a medium rough 371 on another site with a new OEM 372 husky piston/ring kit installed listed for an asking price of $450. Parts are easy to come by, even with the previous generation equivalent, 272xp, parts are everywhere. I would say $350 adjusted up or down depending on condition.

I missed one on C/L two weeks ago listed at $350. He sold it for $300, he never answered the email I sent him, then he listed a phone number in a different ad that I called, and he had sold it for $300....

Stihl's bring more money than better Husky's in the Rocky Mountains for some strange reason.

Latest posts

Back