Used MS261C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisherpilot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good afternoon. First post (just joined today). I’m planning on buying a used 261C this week. The guy selling it bought it last year and says he didn’t even run a tank of gas through it. I plan on buying it as long as it will run. It’s $200 cheaper than I can buy a new one so I’m hoping the chance I take on it will be a good one. Any recommendations on what I can do to check out there saw? Any issues with a saw that’s been sitting for a year? The gas was left in I believe

Thanks!

Pull the muffler and check the piston. Even a saw with scoring can have good compression.

You’ll be losing the warranty I believe, at least in some ways. I’m not sure if it’s transferable or not. I believe that the coil is lifetime covered for the original owner only-again, I could be wrong.

It’s M-tronic, so less worry that the guy leaned it out etc...

Run the saw, and if it’s good buy it.

The new saws are built to resist ethanol fuel so it won’t be a huge issue if the ethanol fuel is in there. Ethanol does cause long term issues, but it’s not as common and quickly occurring as most people will want you to believe. Just my own personal experience there.

Pull the muffler and check the piston. Even a saw with scoring can have good compression.

You’ll be losing the warranty I believe, at least in some ways. I’m not sure if it’s transferable or not. I believe that the coil is lifetime covered for the original owner only-again, I could be wrong.

It’s M-tronic, so less worry that the guy leaned it out etc...

Run the saw, and if it’s good buy it.

The new saws are built to resist ethanol fuel so it won’t be a huge issue if the ethanol fuel is in there. Ethanol does cause long term issues, but it’s not as common and quickly occurring as most people will want you to believe. Just my own personal experience there.
The ethanol fuel they sell around here goes bad in 6-8 months.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Back