Used splitter is it worth it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welderman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all I checked this out today on my way home. From what I can tell is it has a 4" ram 11 gmp 3000 psi pump and a 7 hp motor. It looks to be well made. Nice welds and good fab work. He says runs decent and works as it should with no leaks. Hes asking 300 . The hydraulic lines look decent but have weather check cracks on the bends. The only thing I don't like is how low it sits but I'm sure I can fix that

I only burn about a cord a year maybe a little more. So I couldn't justify a new one and by me used store bought units are almost as much as a new one. I have a 5 ton electric that works pretty well but theres some big trees coming down in the spring and i want to be prepared. At first I was just thinking of renting a splitter but they get 100 a day so 3 days and this would be paid for

I would take a few round to that splitter and see how it works for you. It looks to be too low. Not sure if the axle is an interference fit. Test it and see how comfortable it is to use. I rented a splitter once. It was a bit on the low side for me. Plus the axle was too close to the splitting area. I always had to place a foot on the axle or wheel to be comfortable. I finally purchased a used 27 ton Huskee for $500. It has been great. Good height and standing room. I made a removable out-feed table for it. Thinking now of a small in-feed table for it. Couldn’t find the picture I had of it. Only some of the out-feed table.

The OP’s name is WELDERman85, pretty sure he can weld something up to raise it to his working height.....

Just raise it like mine and you’ll be setView attachment 796210

Lol yeah I'm a steam fitter/ welder by trade so fab work isn't an issue. That's almost the reason I went looking for a homemade. Either way I would want to change some things. So I figured the cheaper the better. I do want a lift or a hoist of something to pick up biggins

Dude, your 34..... I’m 38, lift them up. If they’re too big to lift noodle them in half with your saw. Those lifts are for guys in their 50’s

That sucks. (The bad back). My pops knees are shot. I know the feeling of trying to keep him “ok”
First year he couldn’t climb his tree stand.... it was a wake up call for sure!!!

Take some wood over and run it for a few hours or heave him bring it to you yard and run it for s few hours and see yo ou find any issues with it. if he wont do it then he is afraid it will show some issues. With used equipment you never know how it had been treated, Could be a good deal or a headache you don;t want t deal with, The last splitter I sold I let the guy come run it for an hour and test it out o he was sure he got a good deal. My only request is he was splitting my wood so I made him let me keep the wood he split.

Yep, use it for a while and make sure it works for you. That is what I did when I got my used Huskee back in September 2014. I changed engine oil and hydraulic oil and filter. Has been a good splitter. I added the removable out-feed table. Since it sits outside all the time I’m going to make a cover for splitter side and engine. Thought about this upgrade yesterday when I used it. Nice thing about this splitter is I can use it vertical for large rounds that I can’t lift. Done that a few times.
hhorizontal B81AC687-FD5E-4705-9C5E-5E5A9D5AB34F.jpeg9DF6B575-BC19-4B98-9EC1-819838BD96BF.jpeg

Yep, use it for a while and make sure it works for you. That is what I did when I got my used Huskee back in September 2014. I changed engine oil and hydraulic oil and filter. Has been a good splitter. I added the removable out-feed table. Since it sits outside all the time I’m going to make a cover for splitter side and engine. Thought about this upgrade yesterday when I used it. Nice thing about this splitter is I can use it vertical for large rounds that I can’t lift. Done that a few times.
hhorizontal View attachment 796556View attachment 796557

Nice little husky, but I think I see a problem that you n=may have over looked. Since you keep it outside like I did my first one I ran into a problem, well two problems actually. See the oil tank dip stick filler cap? Most all those splitters have the same design flaw. That SS filler cap/dipstick has a breather hole drilled in the side so as the tank fluid goes up and down it can let air in and out of the tank to keep the fluid presser neutral. My first issue was that little tiny hole also let water get it when it sits out in the rain. It wasn't long till my hydrolic oil started to look like milk from the water that was getting in the hole and into the oil tank. It was an easy fix by just replacing it with a water proof vent cap.
Mt second issue is I never covered the motor so it rusted out the starter recoil spring and one day while starting the spring gave way and I couldn't start it. Luckley I had an old spare motor that had the same starter cover wit the same starter rope and coil. I replaced it and problem solved, so I thought. Because the old motor had also sat out side in the rain, It also did n;t last long till it gave way and broke as well. But Again luck was on my side and the on top of the flywheel it had one of those old fashion hubs where like the old lawn mowers had a slit in it they you could take a rope with a knot on one side and a handle on the other and manually wrap the starter rope around the hub and pull start it like you use to have to do with the old lawn mowers.

So fix your breather hole on the dipstick and keep the splitter covered. Those are great little splitters, thee a little slow but they do work well and get the job done.

sb47 thanks for those tips. Regarding being outside, I have managed to cover the splitter with tarps and free plastic I get from a local furniture store. So mostly it has been covered some. Last couple of months I have let it be uncovered. Wind here tears up the tarps and plastic in quick order. Plus it’s a royal pain to try to secure these coverings on the splitter. So now I’m thinking of a foam and fiberglass cover for the splitter side and engine. Easy to do, long lasting and easy on easy off.

I knew about the vent hole on the oil tank. I had to check it today to see why I didn’t do any type protection. When I changed the oil, I found no water in the tank. The tank top is not flat but is slanted down at an angle with the vent hole on the lower side. Note: vent hole, now, is not as pictured. I installed it so the vent hole is parallel with the front face of the tank. So water does not drain in easily. Since you brought it up, I will add a top cover to the drain plug and secure it with magnets. I’ll drain some oil out and check it for water. See what I find. Good point on this.

For the starter I had an issue. It made a funny sound with the engine running appearing to come from the starter. I did a tear down but never could find the cause. Even started it a few times with the rope trick you describe. Finally, recently, the starter broke. Installed a new starter. The covers I’m going to add will help resolve these issues.

Both good points, thanks.

My new splitter I use a an 8x10 blue tarp and folded it in half. Then I stitched one end closed the Tye down holds tether with some bailing twine. Then I left the the other side open. I can slip the open side over the splitter till the stitched side hooks under the tow hitch. I pull it tight over the whole splitter and the stitched side hooks under the tow hitch witch holds that part on, and drape the tarp over the rest of the splitter and use a few rounds to hold the open side down and it keeps the wind from blowing it off. It works great and covers the whole splitter and the wind won't blow it off. It even leaves me room under the splitter to keep the gas can and it covers the vent hole on the dip stick. Though I did put a water tight vent cover on the dip stick hole just in case.
It's easy to put on and covers the whole splitter and is easy to take off. and was cheap to make.

I like it. Run a couple of rounds thru it. If it works, it is well worth $300. I built my own and after using it a few years, I raised it up by going from a 14" wheel to a 16" wheel with taller truck tires. I love a horizontal splitter but if you run across many large rounds, a log lift is a must. When I first built my log lift, I used a $15 bottle jack to raise the lift. It was slow, but cheep, and worked just fine. It was years later before I added a spool valve and cylinder for the lift. I have made changes/additions to my home built splitter O about 7 or 8 times in the last 34 + or - years. My advice, by it, use it, see what you don't like about it, you are a welder, start remodeling. make it your own. Look at other home built splitters for ideas, but don't be afraid to use your own ideas, no matter how crazy the may be. I like being different and having a one of a kind splitter.

Latest posts

Back