used Stihl MS 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the add said start and runs good, No way it would after i received it.

No way in hell would I pay for that, even if it came down to telling Paypal and/or my credit card carrier, "I got swindled – you deal with it."

Fortunately, you should never need to go that far. Ebay and Paypal are good about protecting buyers...if it weren't for buyers, they wouldn't exist.

will a update on the stihl 460. He ha a no return or refund on his saws. But he did send me half of what it will take to fix it. So I am going to have it fixed
as I need a saw to go on my mill. I now have 7 big whit oaks to mill. Lesson learn and no I will no buy and used items on ebay just new items. Thanks
guys for all the help.

Lester

He's ripping you. Simple fact he offered half says he knows he lied to you on the sale. You paid pretty much top dollar from what I see on fleabay, At a minimum he should cover full cost of repair. If me, I'd want a return and try again. Not all on the bay are this dishonest, take a good look at feedback and sold items before committing.

will a update on the stihl 460. He ha a no return or refund on his saws. But he did send me half of what it will take to fix it. So I am going to have it fixed
as I need a saw to go on my mill. I now have 7 big whit oaks to mill. Lesson learn and no I will no buy and used items on ebay just new items. Thanks
guys for all the help.

Lester

Let me fix it for you Lester. It'll be done right and I won't charge you labor. Heck I've got a lot of 460 parts laying around.
Jeremiah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

guys for all the help.

Lester
Yeah definitely give eBay a call. 795 for a non running saw! That's complete BS. And no returns? Well there wouldn't be a return if he didn't lie about the condition of his stuff. I'd be royally pissed. Just curious. What's wrong with the saw? What's the shop quoting you for?

eBay. Put a dispute in and get your money back. It’s rare that they will side with a seller over a buyer. They know which hand feeds them, and they want buyers coming back for more.

You paid more than a minty one should be costing you. Don’t touch the saw and don’t refund whatever he sent to repair until u get your money back.

If you accept whatever he sends you, you're just laying down and taking it man. It doesn't matter whatever he said his policy is. He's selling in eBay. They make the policies and you got screwed. The very fact that he's sending you repair parts shows that the ad was wrong. Sure, you may get the initial issue fixed, but once you put it on the mill and subject it to severe duty, what's gonna break next, and then who's gonna pay?

I agree with everyone above. But from reading the op's posts I don't think he has the fight in him to battle this out. Again even if the seller agreed to take the saw back Im sure the op would be out the $100 or so right there (i know better then $795).
I think the best solution is to attempt to have the seller refund a percentage of the saw that would make the sale price reflect the actual condition of the saw at the time of sale. LESTER you also need to tell us what the repair shop is stating what is wrong with the saw and if they wrote up a repair estimate that would state it's issues. That can be presented to Ebay also in support of your claim. But once you accept anything from the seller your fight is OVER. Good luck

When a seller ships a beat-up item on ebay that is not in good shape as advertised, the usual refund is about 30%. Ebay is a pretty tough customer. In this case, I would ask for half of your money back. Ebay does not like to see buyers get ripped off and I think they will support OP to the hilt.

Heck, for awhile, guys were buying 460's brand new for $800 or less when the 461's were released. Dealers were authorized sales left and right.

Got my Stihl MS 460 back to day and it starts and runs good. They had to clean the carb and put a new switch and shaft to make it run. They gave me a discount as a new customer
so only cost me $100.04 Parts and labor. I know I should have had eBay help me send it back but I need a saw and I think I did ok. Seems like if you buy a use idem there is all ways
some thanes that need fixing. May be I paid to much for it but after looking for a while a saw in the 77 to 80cc was more then I could afford. I am happy with it and going to use it
tomorrow on a 38" Whit Oak Log. Need to cut it to 10' long as 2' of the end is bad. Then I can slab it down to fit our sawmill. I know I will hear about putting a 42" bar on it but I know
it can handle it, just need to go slow and make sure it has enough oil on the bar. I am going to put a oil jug and valve to the end of the mill for added oil. Hope to take some photos to
show me in action.
Lester

Doesn't matter what his return policy is. If he misadvertised the saw, eBay will force him to take the saw back.
This saw is NEVER going back. Hell Lester just said he's happy and that every used item needs something. Well I guess as long as he's happy and the saw doesn't throw its guts up out the muffler on his first milling job, then this saga is now over. Hope you do a little more research and put as much time into buying as you did fixing.
BTW: did anyone ever pull the muffler yet and look at the piston or do a compression test?

As for taking the muffler off and looking at the piston the tech at stihl did and it look ok. not sure if he took compression but it sure does kick
if you don't push the compression button down. Over all the saw is what i wanted and its in good shape, just a small thing to get it running.
Now on to milling and hard work, will take some photos of the fun. HA HA.

Lester

Lester, I'm glad your happy with your saw, my hats off to you for handling it in such a graceful fashion, something that I wouldn't be able to do to be honest. The last thing Im curious about is your feedback rating and comments you might be leaving for this seller.
As for taking the muffler off and looking at the piston the tech at stihl did and it look ok. not sure if he took compression but it sure does kick
if you don't push the compression button down. Over all the saw is what i wanted and its in good shape, just a small thing to get it running.
Now on to milling and hard work, will take some photos of the fun. HA HA.

Lester

Why on earth would any one pay 800, who has the kind of money to have stihl tell you whats wrong. Did seller request that.

Sometimes lessons are hard earned and deserved.

As a new customer it appear you payed an hour shop rate for your carb repair.

Evan, do you fix your own tv, atv, automobile or computer? When a window breaks do you fix it yourself? How about when the sewer backs up. Do you pump your own septic? Have you ever put a roof on your home?
Well you see where I am going with this. Not everyone can do everything. Just because you and I know chainsaws does not mean everyone does. I would say something that Lester can do, his expertise, is beyond your ability. Try to let others on this site "save face". Mike

I know I got took on the saw and the seller would not refund or return it. eBay did get the seller to help with the repairs. I did give eBay a feedback a letter how I feel about
the seller and I hope eBay will not list any more from him. I should have received all the repair money from him but after having to have eBay get him to answer I just wanted
to have it fixed and be done with him. I how can get to milling my logs before they go bad. Want to thank all here for the advice and help.

Lester

Today's a review world where it hurts the seller more then ever. There is NOTHING wrong with giving future shoppers an honest heads up about who this seller is, the name he sells under on eBay. As long as you are being honest, it is not slandering him. I shared my thoughts of a seller here and the next day I got a call from the same nasty woman who worked for them apologizing and told me to keep the part NO CHARGE (that was not my goal though) Go ahead and do all reviews on eBay on his page so others can be fore warned of his true business model and maybe he will be forced to honest up about any future shady items he may be selling.

Latest posts

Back